android
Old 12-06-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
If you place the playlists on the external memory all the files from both the internal and external memories will be recognized. It's been like that since saratoga reworked the code quite a while back. I don't think the manual has been updated to reflect all the changes to the Playlist Catalog since the major rework a couple of years ago so that may also be a part of your confusion.
Are you saying playlists must be located on the card in order to be able to reference files located in the internal memory, or are you saying that file paths within the playlists are automatically fixed up when the playlist are located there?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-06-2013, 02:45 PM
Administrator

You can't sync the list from the now playing pane. That copies the files again as you've seen. Exporting it as an external playlist won't cause any files to transfer. I find it fairly simple now that I've got it set up.

I drag the files I want into the now playing pane, arrange them the way I want and export them as an external playlist to the location I've chosen as the playlist catalog. I set the Playlist Catalog folder location in the MusicBee library preferences as the save location for exported .m3u lists.

To make sure MusicBee always exports playlists to the right location and can recognize them again I've assigned drive letters permanently to all my Rockboxed players and cards. In Windows you can do that in the Control panel under Administrative Tools, Disk Management. When I first started I used "R" and "S" as they weren't in use and easy to remember. It's worked well so I assign them to any players and card I use.

The nice part about that is it allows me to keep all of them in sync. External programs won't overwrite the files as long as I keep the same folder\file structure as it always sees the same drives whichever player I use. If a file isn't there the software reads the drive, it sees what's missing and adds it.

There no software I know that's able to see what's on one drive, compare it to the other and add the missing files to the correct drive. I've seen a few posts that have used different files sync software and a one that used a really complicated MediaMonkey script but they seemed like too much effort for too little return.

I just load a few hundred of my absolute favorites on the main memory and have a card large enough to hold the rest. I'm never going to be able to put a significant portion of my collection on any currently available device so I don't worry about using all the memory.

The file paths are fixed for use in Rockbox when you store the playlist on the external memory using software or making them on the player. Playlist that are made or resaved by Rockbox on the player won't be read by external software. The addition of <microSD1> on AMSv2 players like the Clip and original Fuze breaks the file paths for external software. <MMC1>does the same thing on the Fuze+.

The oddest part is that the rework by done to the Playlist Catalog and how saving to the external memory fixes the file paths doesn't seem to have made it into the manual. One of the most confusing part of Rockbox was made leaps and bounds easier and more functional and as far as I can tell no one has documented it. Damn shame, it's just so much better now.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:29 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carson Dyle View Post
Are you saying playlists must be located on the card in order to be able to reference files located in the internal memory, or are you saying that file paths within the playlists are automatically fixed up when the playlist are located there?
Basically, when you provide a playlist its usually ambiguous which volume is referenced because of how MSC mode works. I changed the logic so that if its ambiguous the player will assume you mean the same disk as the playlist is stored on.

If you make each playlist so that the paths are explicit (e.g. /<microsd1>/path/to/file) then it will work no matter what. If its ambiguous (e.g. C:\myfiles\file.mp3), it'll guess that "C" is whatever disk the playlist is currently stored on.