android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 11-16-2011, 05:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I don't think you will go wrong with either the Sennheiser HD380 pro or Sony 7509HD. The new Sony 7510 is an unknown. I haven't seen any decent reviews of it yet. The Sennheiser PX360 seems to be $150 in the US. Perhaps it might be cheaper in Europe?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-17-2011, 10:27 AM

Been using the Sennheiser PX360 for half a year now (I thought I was the only one on earth who bought these ) and although they're not as neutral as I expected (especially when it comes to high ranges) I quickly got used to their sound signature and I am very happy with them.
Have in mind that although they're very comfortable the passive isolation is still not good enough to neutralize traffic noise etc. I mainly use them when listening to music at office.

Old 11-19-2011, 01:52 PM

ok update. I cant afford any for me now as I have decided to spring for some DT770 pro 80ohm at 132 delivered for my bro' after all he is my only bro' and he is 50yo

And to JK98, you're 'avin a giraffe aintcha.....cheaper in Europe!!!!! splutter

We have 20% purchase tax and the failing eurozone to prop up and this coupled to huge transport costs with gas being over $8 a gallon US equivelent nothing and I mean nothing is cheaper in the UK than in the USA

Px360 retail at 120 or about $185 US....

Old 11-19-2011, 02:37 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I do buy stuff for ppl and ship overseas ya' know,...I would have bought & shipped your chosen can to you - it's just a PM away!!!

Old 11-19-2011, 06:02 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Some European brand stuff may be cheaper in Europe than in the US. Aren't European prices quoted including the tax? In the US, sales tax is added on top of the quoted price. The Brittish pound is holding up better than the Euro. You should be thankful that the UK didn't convert to the Euro. Having one currency for several countries never made sense to me. Let's see if a few of the financially weaker countries will be forced to switch from the Euro.

Old 11-20-2011, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
Having one currency for several countries never made sense to me.
Then maybe you should read up on the subject. We now have a single european market with removed trade barriers, allowing both customers and firms to make significant savings for transactions within the eurozone. There are many more advantages.. but that's off-topic.

Last edited by xnor; 11-20-2011 at 07:42 AM.

Old 11-20-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
Having one currency for several countries never made sense to me. Let's see if a few of the financially weaker countries will be forced to switch from the Euro.
The sentral goal of the EU was to have a union of states, somewhat like your own American one (each seen as a mean to avoid further violent conflics, simplify trades etc.). As you may be aware there are great disparities between the Columbian states' economical structure, but that these differences are being alleviated by worforce migration and a centralized real fiscal authority.
In the EU economic disparities are much more constant because these two forces for equilibrium aren't present to the same extent. Workforce migration exist (through the Schengen Agreement), but migrant workers are treated more like Mexicans in the US, than fellow Europeans. The biggest group of 'guest workers' (that's what we call them, signifying the temporarity of the situation) in Norway are Swedes, and even them, our very neighbours, are treated like a sub-class.
Now you may argue that this example is invalid because we aren't members of the EU, but I'd claim we are as much members of the union as any EU-non-euro country, through the EEA.
Then there's the central fiscal authority, which if you follow the news know that only exist in name(s).

I'm sorry for rambling on like this, but I just get a little irate when this european debt crisis gets simplified beyond sense. The fact is that Europe/EU is really complicated, and no simple aswers or obvious solutions exist.

My own view is that it's a commendable idea poorly executed, and leave it at that.

Old 11-20-2011, 04:42 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Wow,...a thread derailed by someone OTHER than me, Marv, or Stienburger - SWEET!!!

Old 11-30-2011, 03:46 PM

Despite all my protestations about the limit, I pulled thet rigger on Beyerdynamic DT770pro 80 ohm and they should be here on Friday in time to take them to his birthday party on Saturday. Cost 132. shipped

Old 11-30-2011, 06:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Wow,...a thread derailed by someone OTHER than me, Marv, or Stienburger - SWEET!!!
Heh....

Hope he likes 'em, Vark!

Old 11-30-2011, 11:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The DT770pro and DT990pro are very interesting. 132 quid for the 80 ohm version sounds like a nice deal. I think many are selling the 250 ohm version of these for around that price. I guess you got the great deal since it looks like Beyerdynamic is replacing the 80 ohm versions with the 32 ohm version. The 32 ohm versions are so expensive though, at $300+. If the price on the 32 ohm DT990pro ever gets down to around $150 I might be tempted to buy one.

Old 12-04-2011, 05:11 AM

Well they arrived and just the day after I ordered them Amazon UK put the price up to 146 shipped. I paid 132 and I had 40 of vouchers to take off that for doing these online surveys that I do most days.

So they are for my bro but I hooked an extension lead in to them in the box and linked em up to the hifi and left music playing at a real gentle volume for about 5 hours to to give them a gentle run.

After showering, cleaning my lugs and thoroughly drying my ear canals I liftedd them outa the box to have listen. As a comparison I had my Hippo VB , Senn HD280pro and Grado Sr60. Our DT990pro 250ohm are now living at the home of my elder son and so were not available but I prefer the sound of the SR60 anyway.

This is in no way a detailed review but my bro is in for a real treat. I listened to my usual tracks, Ryan Adams, 'Oh my sweet Carolina' , Two Gallants, 'Waves of Grain' Tori Amos, a selection from'Under the PInk' David Gray 'Babilon' The Wrens 'She sends Kisses' and some REM for 'Automatic for the People'

In short, no where near as dark or subdued as the HD280pro and more top end sparkle.

Damn but there is bass in buckets.

Soundstage wider than the SR60's and then some and with a lot more bottom end and a tad less top end tizz tizz.

So then I opened up the Linn in full room mode through the Bi amped Keilidhs and whaddaya know.....the DT770 came the nearest in terms of everything to what I am used to in my usual seat listening to my full sized system.

I then ran em through my Zen vision m (WMA 320kb variable) and found that modern tracks can be run at 20/25 for a decent volume but that older stuff, even fully remastered from Floyd and Zep needed 25/25 on the volume to be at a level that I listen to (mine has US not EU firmware)

So for home use hooked up to a decent amp, I could love these as much as my hifi but for portable I think I would need to invest in a nice battery amp to sit in the system from the line out on my Zen VM.

I prefered the sound way more than the SR60's in every way and I dont believe those that say all closed headphones are closed in.

I had a listen to my Hippo VB with comply tips.......damn what happened to the bass, the sounstage, the image, the separation......I now think that my Hippo's are poor .....

So, they were slid back into the box and leaft to beath for an hour before I gift wrapped them. I hope he enjoys them becuase they are the best headphones I have ever heard and the most I have paid....but I only got one brother and he is ace.

Last edited by Aardvark; 12-04-2011 at 05:17 AM.