android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 11-01-2011, 03:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Sennheiser HD25 SP, still my favorite travel headphones but of course your looking for circumaurals. I would too, but the HD25's sit my head juust right. I gain nothing from a circumaural set of headphones other then ear sweat both on the inside AND on the outside ;D

As for the Aurvana Live, I've tried them quite a few times and they are good. Nothing really struck me as impressive or bad on them (Much like most other headphones ;P ) so they should work as an only set on the go really well, build quality is nowhere near the HD25's but honestly not much is in the headphone world and for the prices they go its decent. If they are the same price as the M50's i'd go for the M50's but if they are much cheaper, and these are only a travel set (Note, used not often as a regular set) I'd probably go for the bargain myself.

Last edited by Jack4L; 11-01-2011 at 03:38 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-01-2011, 05:34 PM

[QUOTE=WalkGood;582395]We have a Sam Ash down here; I had a blast in the percussion department and didn’t even see the headphones when last I was there. BTW there's one in Orlando where you stay Varkie (4644 East Colonial Drive, Orlando).[/QUOTE

Cheers Ray, should be able to find it blindfolded. ths will be our 11th trip to Orlando/Kissimmee and these days I dont even need a map, let alone a sat nav....tool of the devil

I will google this B&H and find where they have stores in Central Florida as well.

So at the moment

ATH M50
Senn CX360
and sadly

Bose AE2 are still in the running

If I get another contract to start in the new year then we can have another vacation to USA next summer and I fancy San Francisco

Edit to reply

Jack4L, well kinda, I suspect that even though they are just 'travel' I can see them being used when I stay away from home in hotels and even to listen to in bed and not disturb 'she who must be obeyed' aka BLB (bossy little blonde) aka Mrs Varkie....she needs her beauty sleep.......nuff said ..sniff

Old 11-01-2011, 08:31 PM
ABI Invaluable

No need for google, AFAIK there's no B&H in central FL but if you see they opened one please let me know.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 11-03-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
No need for google, AFAIK there's no B&H in central FL but if you see they opened one please let me know.
thanks WalkGood,

AE2 now out of the running. Went to a dedicated Bose store yesterday and the top sales guy wound me up big time by asking me how I had ripped my tunes and that I should listen to the specially prepared tunes on his ipod nano and that I should listen to some simple acoustic stuff and the giving me grief about how my HTC phone wouldnt be good enough

Well, my 320kbps variable MP3s that I used from my HTC Wildfire showed the AE2 to not only be sssssibilant but also ssssplashy and with a bloated lumpy bass wwwwofffle and that the top sales dude was one almighty PITA....

Senn Px360 and ATHM50 at the moment

Old 11-03-2011, 05:18 PM
ABI Invaluable

I've tried the QC 3s and the Triports and I'm not impressed, so I think it's good you found out for yourself that the AE2s aren't worth the asking price. I think there's better SQ for that kind of cash. Good luck in the search and let us hear back the results of the other phones you end up testing.

BTW next time send the pleasant clerk over to anythingbutipod.com, we'll give him a warm welcome

Old 11-03-2011, 06:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The first thing I do when going into a apple store is load up Abi then sit back and watch the magic.

Old 11-04-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confispect View Post
The first thing I do when going into a apple store is load up Abi then sit back and watch the magic.
Ooooohh! you are a naughty one.......

Yep, we used to do this all the time, me and the two lads with our Zen Vision M, Zune, and a no name brand that had enough power to drive 600ohm phones.

We used to pick crApple stores when on vacation and had a few laughs in Florida and in the UK. Sadly these days they just look at our remaining Zen and Zune and a new Samsung smart phone and assume we are hobos or from some backwards economically challenged p1ss-ant country.....and oh yeah.....the UK....so right all along

The most fun we had was in finding that the previous person on the laptops hadn't cleared the cookies after visiting her facebook page so we took a peak and found that she was in charge of IT for a publisher, so we had a bit of fun messing around, nothing too bad or x rated but enough to give her a bit of a wake up call about internet security and the desire to be on facebook in a store only 10 miles from leaving home.

edit back on topic.

read a lot of reviews on the ATH M50 and I can find them for £100 shipped online. I need to get a an audition but at the moment they are up there on my wish list.

Ok, next stage will be a demo, 7 weeks to Guitar centre on South OBT or the place that Ray suggested (thanks mate) on East Colonial

Last edited by Aardvark; 11-04-2011 at 01:12 PM.

Old 11-04-2011, 01:49 PM
ABI Invaluable

Varkie, I think there's more than one location in O-ville, you might wana check to see which one's closer to where you stay and what inventory they have to audition.

Old 11-05-2011, 10:45 AM

Default Updated

Ok things have changed, I now need two pairs and one is time critical

My little Bro is 50yo at the start of december and as usual his good wife has bought him concert tickets and as ever he is inviting his #1 big bro to go along

I need to get him a prezzie and he wants spome headphones for general music listening at home and at work, so closed back

He is a keyboard player and still has good ears, a bit like mine in size but less sticky out....dang an elephant has more streamlined ears than me..

Closed back

List and feedback on the below needed please as I gotta place the order by Wednesday latest ...proly Amazon UK

1 Creative Aurvana Live @ £39
2 Denon 101? version of the above, both made by Foster IIRC @ £90
3 Senn HD448 @ £52
4 Senn PX360 @ £79
5 ATH M50 @ £109

Mrs Varkie has gievn me instruction to go to a max of £100 online purchase and so DT770 etc are too deep for my pocket

Old 11-08-2011, 12:28 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Are you sure he would want a closed headphone? I prefer open headphones. The Sennheiser open headphones are great. I think I would probably prefer the Sennheiser HD518, HD555, or HD515 than the ATHM50 or PX360. How much are these in the UK? I haven't heard these, I just read the reviews. My open Sennheiser headphones are very old models, but perhaps on par with the HD518.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aardvark View Post
1 Creative Aurvana Live @ £39
2 Denon 101? version of the above, both made by Foster IIRC @ £90
3 Senn HD448 @ £52
4 Senn PX360 @ £79
5 ATH M50 @ £109

Mrs Varkie has gievn me instruction to go to a max of £100 online purchase and so DT770 etc are too deep for my pocket
Lawl,

Old 11-13-2011, 09:21 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I have the Audio Technica Ath-pro700mk2 Professional hp's on the way,...

Old 11-14-2011, 12:16 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Darkside, have you checked out the Sony MDR 7510? I am curious how it compares to the V900HD. Both are 24 ohms and rather efficient.

Old 11-14-2011, 05:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I want something similar to the M50's, and the Sony's you mention are closer to the mdr-v6, so I'm not interested. Thanks for the recommendation tho,...

Old 11-14-2011, 07:31 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
I want something similar to the M50's, and the Sony's you mention are closer to the mdr-v6, so I'm not interested. Thanks for the recommendation tho,...
I would say the MDR 7510 is probably much closer to the MDR7509HD(V900HD) than to the 7506(V6). The MDR 7510 and MDR 7509hd(V900HD) both are 24 ohms and have 50mm drivers. The 7506(V6) is 63 ohms and has a 40mm driver. Some of the older Sony models i have are 24 or 32 ohms and have 50mm drivers.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:20 PM
Ultra Senior Member

But, the mdr-7510 is said to be anemic in the bass dept, and my v900hd's are only good without amping. I want great sq AND massive bass - the Sony's DON'T HAVE IT!!!

Old 11-15-2011, 06:45 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, and now an update.

Me, having listened again to the PX360 and loved the isolation and the comfort over my spectacles these are now a front runner. Not happy about the right hand sided cord entry, it juest seems perverse and again unhappy with the flimsy cable. Very impressed with the dynamics, the sound stage and the get up and dance vibe, very energetic, kinda a real attempt to dislodge the Bose brigade.

Bro' needs closed back for mainly studio work on his keyboards and for music listening as a secondary. He wants to hear his bass pedals too. I need to place an order in the next 10 days to have them here for his 50th

Added in

HD280pro
HD380pro
ATH M50

all are around £106 online in the UK and I'm guessing the HD380 pro are a beteer deal. When did the online price of the 280's break the £100 barrier, my last set 3 years ago or it could have been more like 5 years ago only cost £67 delivered....inflation I guess.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:45 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I don't want massive bass, just a reasonable amount of realistic bass.

There has been a long running debate about whether the Sennheiser HD280 pro or Sony v6 (7506) is better. In the US the V6 is around $65, while the HD280 pro is around $80. The V6 is one of the most neutral headphones. In its 7506 form, it is heavily used in recording studios, radio stations, and tv and movie production. The V6 is very sturdy. My V6 is 23 years old and working fine, except that I had to change the earpads.

106 quid for the HD280 pro is a ripoff. That is double the US price. The HD380 pro is around $160 in the US, so 106 quid is not bad at all! The ATH-M50 is $159 in the US. The HD380 pro is much better than the HD 280 pro. Read the reviews on Amazon.

It looks like the HD380 pro might be a good choice if you want to splurge. How much is the Sony V6, Sony 7506, Sony 7509HD or V900HD? The V6 is basically the same as the 7506, and the V900HD is basically the same as the 7509HD. The Sony 7509 has more midrange detail than the 7506. It is 24 ohms vs 63 ohms, and has 50mm drivers, vs 40mm drivers.

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-380...1403290&sr=8-4

Last edited by JK98; 11-15-2011 at 07:50 PM.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:22 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I vote HD380 Pro, since the only issue I'd ever had with the HD280's was the anemic bass. The HD380sounds like a winner.

Old 11-16-2011, 12:05 PM

Thanks both, I will check out the Sony's but the HD380pro are the front runners for my Bro'

I am going to hang fire on getting me any cans now as my cash will be tight, I tripped a Truvello last Sunday night and the fine will be £60 plus a £40 service charge from the company that I hire my car through and it is likely to add maybe another £100 to next years car insurance quote.

I will see how much the Px360 are in USA but I will hit the button on getting the HD380pro from Amazon UK as I have managed to amass £40 in vouchers from doing online surveys.

I kinda owe it to him as for the last 4 years at least on his birthday he has let me be his guest at a Yes or Genesis gig or similar. (His Mrs always gets him a pair of concert tickets for his birthday)