android
Old 10-27-2011, 12:28 PM

Default Are the Ortofon e-Q5 right for me?

Hi guys I've followed this site for a while but never felt the need to post, until today lol.

Please forgive my lack of correct terminology and my pathetic attempt to describe how the earphones sound. Anyways I currently use a pair of Nuforce NE-6 with my S9, after reading dftk review of the HJE-900 I thought this is the next step up in terms of IEM's and I purchased them. However I found that there was more bass on my Nuforce's but the Panasonic's had more 'clarity' if that makes any sense to you guys (am I a basshead?). So I sold the HJE-900 but I am still in search of an upgrade to my Nuforce, this probably sounds stupid but I would like something that sound similar to my Denon d2000 for less than 200.

Could someone tell me if these e-Q5 has more 'impacting/ deeper? bass than the panasonics?

thanks guys

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-27-2011, 12:30 PM

No, absolutely not. The e-Q5 are rather linear and neutral phones. You're probably going to be disappointed by their bass quantity. Maybe you should give the Hippo VB a try - or the Radius DDM2 or JVC FX700, if you have the spare change.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
No, absolutely not. The e-Q5 are rather linear and neutral phones. You're probably going to be disappointed by their bass quantity. Maybe you should give the Hippo VB a try - or the Radius DDM2 or JVC FX700, if you have the spare change.
Thanks for the reply dfkt

I have been trawling through the "Quick Comparison of 60 IEMs" thread (on page 27 now) the JVC's seem like the one's except you say they don't isolate very well which is a big factor for me as I intend to use them for commuting on London's terrible underground service.

I can't seem to find much info on the Radius DDM2 and no where seems to sell them. I think the VB might be my best option.

Edit: Have you had any experience with any of the Nuforce's dfkt?

Last edited by kicsrepins; 10-27-2011 at 12:51 PM.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:33 PM

DDM2 is just their nickname. I can never remember their silly convoluted letter/number combination. Here's my review of them: http://anythingbutipod.com/2011/05/r...%80%9d-review/ - and here's the forum thread: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=63254

They do isolate a bit more than the JVC and sound very grand. Sorry, I have no experience with Nuforce products.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:33 PM

Yep, forget the JVCs if you want some degree of isolation, they don't isolate at all even with a pair of Comply foams giving a perfect fit/seal.

Maybe you should go for the Sennheiser IE8, they have proper bass, less tight than the JVCs but more than enough for most needs. They also have exceptional soundstage, although they are less forward than the JVCs in the treble. Initially they don't isolate much more than the JVCs, but with Comply Ts400 (spherical foams), it is way better, I tested them in a plane for the first time yesterday, and it was ok, I didn't have to crank up the volume, which you have to do with the JVC FX700.

Headphones: AKG K240-MKII
To sell: JVC HA-FX300, Philips SHE9850

Last edited by tienbasse; 10-28-2011 at 01:37 PM.

Old 10-27-2011, 02:12 PM

@dfkt that's a shame I would love to know your thoughts on the NE-6 or the N700X

@tienbasse Yes I have had the IE8's as a very possible candidate I was researching on what would be suitable alternatives.

How would they compare to the DDM2? it looks like I can get them at roughly the same price.

Also is there a guide where I could learn the technical jargin on how to describe how music sounds? thanks guys

Old 10-27-2011, 02:23 PM

Tienbasse has a good point with the IE8. They are easier to get, easier to fit, and they isolate more than the DDM2. Build quality is also (much) better. They are maybe not quite on the same sound level as the FX700 and DDM2, but they are very good nonetheless. After over two years, I still use my IE8 almost daily while sleeping, that's how comfy and sturdy they are.

Here's a nerd-speak FAQ: http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61151

Old 10-27-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Tienbasse has a good point with the IE8. They are easier to get, easier to fit, and they isolate more than the DDM2. Build quality is also (much) better. They are maybe not quite on the same sound level as the FX700 and DDM2, but they are very good nonetheless. After over two years, I still use my IE8 almost daily while sleeping, that's how comfy and sturdy they are.

Here's a nerd-speak FAQ: http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61151
I have been looking for something like that for a while now

I can't really fall asleep with my earphones on, I guess because I role about to much.

One last question if you don't mind, I would guess the IE8 have more bass than then DDM2?

Old 10-27-2011, 02:35 PM

They have about the same amount of bass, but the IE8 have a somewhat pronounced midbass hump, which makes them sound a bit loose and uncontrolled. The DDM2 sound punchier and clearer in the lower midrange/upper bass. The IE8 can be easily EQed to sound tighter, though.

Old 10-27-2011, 02:38 PM

Quote:
They have about the same amount of bass, but the IE8 have a somewhat pronounced midbass hump, which makes them sound a bit loose and uncontrolled. The DDM2 sound punchier and clearer in the lower midrange/upper bass. The IE8 can be easily EQed to sound tighter, though.
Thanks dfkt you have helped me a lot, I will eventually decide between the 2

I won't post any more off topic replies to this thread anymore

Old 10-27-2011, 02:41 PM

I split the thread from the e-Q5 one, it's all yours.

Old 10-27-2011, 02:51 PM

lol I feel special now, thanks will see if I can find the DDM2 cheaper than on Musica Acousticson on other Japanese sites.

Maybe this thread will help someone else in a similar situation