android
Old 10-23-2011, 04:25 PM

Default Sansa + Refresh with 16g micro card

My refresh time for the this unit is well over an hour, which of course makes me not make changes to it and really hinders changing sd cards. Even if I only change a couple of songs it takes that long. I've only had to refresh three times, and it's frustrating.

Any thoughts on why it takes so long?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-23-2011, 07:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Fix your tags. Get rid of the comments, and get rid of the extra tags. The Clip+ uses ID3 v2.3 ISO 8859-1 tags. fix any mistakes in your tags. i guess not having embedded album art might also help. How many songs do you have?

Old 10-23-2011, 08:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yup, what JK98 said. I use MP3Tag software for that. You can import all of your music to that software, highlight it all, and tell it to keep Artist, Album, Track, Album Artist, and any other tags you think are essential while deleting the other ones. I have over 6000 tracks, the entire process for me takes no more than a minute. It's rather quick.

Old 10-24-2011, 06:47 PM

Rockbox and use a sd card reader to transfer music. Don't insert sd card until it's powered off. Boot right into rockbox. Just my suggestion.

Old 10-29-2011, 08:03 PM

Thanks for the answers. I'm still thinking about Rockbox...not sure if I need it.

I am very proud of myself in that over 99% of my tracks are tagged using Media Monkey. Not only do all tracks have album art but most have lyrics embedded, so could that be the problem? I only have about 3000 songs on the sd card, not near the 6000 steinburger has. So maybe I'm just stuck with the slow refresh.

Update: Pulled card and inserted tonight just for fun. 80 minutes to refresh and almost drained the battery (which is normal).

Last edited by rrfpacker; 10-29-2011 at 09:21 PM.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrfpacker View Post
Thanks for the answers. I'm still thinking about Rockbox...not sure if I need it.

I am very proud of myself in that over 99% of my tracks are tagged using Media Monkey. Not only do all tracks have album art but most have lyrics embedded, so could that be the problem? I only have about 3000 songs on the sd card, not near the 6000 steinburger has. So maybe I'm just stuck with the slow refresh.

Update: Pulled card and inserted tonight just for fun. 80 minutes to refresh and almost drained the battery (which is normal).
Lyrics embedded? That could very well be the problem. Check this thread http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=57248 for Sansa-friendly tagging practices.

Old 10-30-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Lyrics embedded? That could very well be the problem. Check this thread http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=57248 for Sansa-friendly tagging practices.

Looks like I'm just going to have to deal with the refresh time. I'm happy with my tracks the way they are and they work well in my iPhone and Zen. I only use the Clip as my most portable music device and don't need to see art or lyrics but I don't want to strip the tags.

Thanks to all for your advice.

Old 10-30-2011, 08:42 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Wow.............

Old 10-31-2011, 05:19 PM

Wow?

Old 11-10-2011, 09:44 PM

Well, I used MP3 Tag to take out album art, lyrics and leave only Artist, Album, Title, and Album Artist. Still takes over an hour to refresh 2800 songs. Not sure what else I can do.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Well, I used MP3 Tag to take out album art, lyrics and leave only Artist, Album, Title, and Album Artist. Still takes over an hour to refresh 2800 songs. Not sure what else I can do.
Are there any V1 tags? They should be removed.

Steve

Old 11-10-2011, 10:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
MP3Tag write settings for best results with a Sansa.....

The only tags you don't see in that image are the ReplayGain tags. Using these settings, my refreshes have always been relatively quick......most always under 4 minutes for an 8GB player with a 16GB card.

Old 11-11-2011, 01:45 AM

Also, after you're sure you set those settings, just select all your files and choose "Remove tags" - it will remove only id3v1 and APE tags. This is what I've done and it worked perfectly.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:53 PM

Marvin,

I followed your screen shots and tried again. I'm at 70 minutes and counting. The refresh seems to go fairly quick for about 5 minutes, gets to about 25% done. Then it takes at least 30 minutes to get to 33% done. Then another 30 minutes to get to 60%. Not sure I can do anything else.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

Old 11-13-2011, 12:03 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Perhaps the album artist tag is what is giving such long refresh times? Since the Sandisk players don't support it, you should remove it. Also remove the embedded album art.

Old 11-13-2011, 01:15 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
Perhaps the album artist tag is what is giving such long refresh times? Since the Sandisk players don't support it, you should remove it. Also remove the embedded album art.
Read more closely....he did remove the embedded art. However, embedded art doesn't give me any problems.....I just don't use the super-hi-res art.
It is possible the album artist tags are part of the problem.....I never use them. If I have an album with multiple artists, I select it from the albums list.

Old 11-13-2011, 02:33 PM
Administrator

Something's definitely not right with a database refresh over an hour. Just using the album artist tag shouldn't do that. I use it and my refresh time on over 4000 files is around 11 minutes.

Have you tried right clicking on your files and looking at the extended tags? When I did that I found tags that had been added across the years I had no idea were there. Once I eliminated them and simplified my folder structure to "Artist\Album\Track# - Title" my refresh times went to something tolerable.

Old 11-13-2011, 04:08 PM

Anyone thinks the card's filesystem is messed up, damaged perhaps?

How's the refresh time with only a filled up internal memory and no card?

Maybe run checkdisk on the card, or even better let an SDcard formatter have it's way with it.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

did you edit tags directly on songs on the player or on the card? I had trouble with the songs not sorting properly after that. after I deleted the songs on the player, edited the copy on the pc, then copied them to the player, they sorted properly. while some people had no problems editing tags on files on the player or on a card, I did have a problem with that. Yes, I was in MSC mode. Editing tags on the player in MTP mode is completely impossible.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:37 AM

Skip,
I looked in one file and found the following, no tags for Artist, Album, Title, Album Artist. I found length, bit rate, name (which for me is Artist\Title), type, date created, date modified, size, attributes, owner, and computer.

To back up a bit, I don't remember how I put these files on th sd card. I use Media Monkey so I right-clicked on a playlist, clicked send/copy to the sd card. I'm pretty sure I can't auto sync to the sd card but haven't tried it.

I was fascinated to not see Album, Artist, or Title.

Brett,
The refresh time without the card is immediate, however, I only have 350 songs on it.

Looks like I have some more experimenting to do. Maybe it's my folder structure and I need to work that out with Media Monkey.

Thanks to all.