android
Old 10-22-2011, 07:37 PM

Default Off Label Use

Off-label refers to the practice of using a pharmaceutical in a manner or for a purpose other than as indicated by the manufacturer.

I came up with an "off label" use for my Clip+ today which I'll describe in my next post. Maybe you've invented an unexpected use for yours too. If so, I thought it might be fun to create a thread to catalog and discuss them. We'll see!

If you've used your Clip in an unusual or creative way tell us about it.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-23-2011, 02:42 AM

not terribly exciting but i used my clip to re-install windows on my pc. i have no optical drive and for some inexplicable reason, my pc would not boot from a sandisk USB stick i own. my laptop booted from the usb stick just fine so i know there wasn't anything wrong with the method i used. as a last resort, i tried the clip on my pc and it worked. of course it meant wiping the music off and then putting it back. so slow.

Old 10-23-2011, 03:49 AM

Voice recorder, USB stick, earring.

Old 10-23-2011, 12:58 PM

Good start guys.

Here's my "gearhead" use:

Used it as a "chassis ear" to diagnose a suspension noise on my wife's car!

Mechanics use remote microphones to figure out where rattles, squeaks, etc. are coming from while the vehicle is motion. Of course the Clip isn't quite the same because it's not real time. But it records quite well, and here I used it to confirm my guess as to the source of the noise.

Inside the car it wasn't possible to isolate even which end of the car the noise was coming from. So I found a stretch of road where the noise occurred consistently. Then attached the Clip near the sway bar link which I thought was the most likely source. On this mp3 you can hear four snaps as the suspension compresses going over some bumps. So I'm confident enough I nailed it to order replacement links.

With the real chassis ears you're supposed to have two people in the vehicle; one to drive and the other to monitor the mics safely. With the Clip a single person can safely drive and then review the recorded sounds later on with the vehicle stopped.

(It's worth noting, before someone else brings up the possibility of the Clip+ falling off, that I've replaced the factory clip on mine with a stronger one. With the stock clip zip ties are your friend. )

Old 10-23-2011, 02:15 PM

Bottle opener

Old 10-23-2011, 03:19 PM

Darn, this thread made me look at my died Clip+ again, which has been a paper-weight ever since it was killed by a sudden heavy rain a few months ago (it was in my front pocket while cycling and was really soaked).

Since that heavy rain, I tried multiple times to charge it and turn it on, all to no avail. I've already bought a new one, but I still checked from time to time if the old Clip+ was working or not, which it wasn't. So I was going to post "use as paper weight" originally, but out of curiousity I plugged it into my PC again (mostly to verify it was still dead) and guess what... it powered on....

Darn you Clip+ reviving from the dead! For all those months I assured it was no longer working, and then suddenly it came back to life...

Thanks to this thread (where I intended to just post "paper weight") I discovered my supposedly dead Clip+ is now fully working again.

Old 10-23-2011, 05:33 PM

Wouldn't that be a paper clip? Seeing as it has a clip and doesn't weigh very much.

Glad to hear this thread helped resurrect it either way.