android
Old 10-20-2011, 04:01 PM

Default J3 - Mac - Parallels. Will it work?

Hello all

I have spend my life with ipods and after realising that the quality wasnt as good as my phone's (HTC desire s) I decided to get shot of it.

The thing is I have an Apple iMac running leopard osx 10.6.4.

I dont want to be restricted to ipods. what else is there???

In truth i bought myself a sony walkman NWZA865 the other day and it kept disconnecting itself after it had uploaded two songs, very annoying. So its gone back.

What I really want is a COWON J3 but will this work with mac????

A friend at work told me about running parallels today, where i could run windows within the mac, thus using a mp3s software to run it.

Also sound quality is the deal maker/breaker here.

What MP3 players do u suugest and how can I run them with MAC???

Thanks in advance dom

Last edited by skip252; 10-21-2011 at 02:50 PM. Reason: The other post asking the same question has been deleted. Please don't multi-post

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-20-2011, 04:20 PM
Ultra Senior Member

How much storage do you want? How much battery life? Many will probably suggest the Sandisk Clip Zip. It will play AAC files, but only those without protection. It also plays mp3, wma, FLAC, etc. It has a micro SDHC card slot, so you could add a 32GB card. It will work with a MAC in MSC mode, however you may need to borrow a pc(or get Windows running on your Mac) for firmware updates.

Old 10-20-2011, 04:24 PM
Administrator

This is a lot easier if you supply the info requested here. You'll see some of the players that have been recommended there also. You may find what you want there.

There's been different things posted as to whether it's safe to use a J3 with a Mac. Some have said there's no problem as long as you make sure to delete the additional files Macs need to use Windows formatted drives. I've seen BlueHarvest and this tool mentioned for doing that. Others still report problems and swear they always have deleted the additional files.

I'm fairly surprised that a Sony had problems with a Mac. When I've hooked my older ones up, they mount the same as any other USB drive. Safely disconnect and it's all good. Several others have reported the same thing. Hope this isn't something new with newer models.

One other thing. Good sound quality is pretty much a given with a quality player now. The sound enhancements are different, i.e. Cowon BBE vs Sony's ClearBass and Dynamic Normalizer but the base sound will be the same. That frees you up to shop features, screen size, battery life and such.

Old 10-20-2011, 04:34 PM

Thanks for this food for thought (yummy)

I would need a 32 gig drive for my ever increasing music collection, battery life isnt the highest thing on my list but it makes things a tad easier.

And yeah, the sony disconnected itself after it had uploaded two songs (everyfuckingtime)

is there any windows emulators you recommend?

Old 10-20-2011, 04:59 PM
Administrator

I know very little about Macs, so not me. There have been some more knowledgeable members that have contributed when they know the question is about Macs. You can change the title of this thread to reflect that a Mac involved by using the Advanced options in the Edit menu of the first post in this thread. You might add "to use with a Mac" or similar to let them know part of your requirement is to use it with a Mac or under emulation.

Old 10-20-2011, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullCrusher View Post
And yeah, the sony disconnected itself after it had uploaded two songs (everyfuckingtime)
That is odd. I gave my sister my S545 and she used it on her Mac. Did you use the Sony Content Transfer software or was it just USB transfer?

Old 10-20-2011, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Some Guy View Post
That is odd. I gave my sister my S545 and she used it on her Mac. Did you use the Sony Content Transfer software or was it just USB transfer?
I was just using USB transfer

Old 10-21-2011, 02:23 PM

That is so odd. If it was a formatting issue, then it wouldn't have loaded even one file, let alone two. But since it did load a few files and then it just disconnects automatically... If you still had it, I'd suggest trying the software out to see if that worked any better.

Old 10-21-2011, 03:05 PM

Its gone back to the shop. a work colleague gave me parallels and windows so I may try a J3

Tags
apple, cowon, j3, mac, mackintosh