android
Old 11-10-2011, 07:22 AM
Ultra Senior Member

They didn't say anything concrete yet, but I guess since they want everybody to be happy, there might probably be an exchange to the updated version?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-10-2011, 07:59 AM

If the hiss is resolved I think a good amp will become a great amp.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:22 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Seeing double... slightly updated double.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:35 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Saying "slightly" updated sounds perhaps like an early review summary.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:36 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Not sure if the Clip Zip actually counts as an update to the Clip+.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:37 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
True....perhaps a side-step?

Old 11-10-2011, 09:51 AM
ABI Invaluable

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
True....perhaps a side-step?
I'm fine with Clip side-steps as long as they don't ruin it like the fuze +, which should have been called the fuze minus (-)

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 11-10-2011, 09:58 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkgood View Post
i'm fine with clip side-steps as long as they don't ruin it like the fuze +, which should have been called the fuze minus (-) :d
qft :d

Old 11-10-2011, 01:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I like the finish of the ZO2 much more than the glossy finish of the original.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k5r2an View Post
Honestly, there's nothing placebo about the Digizoid ZO. Once you turn that thing on, you will definitely notice a difference in your music. I have my Clip+ rockboxed, but I'm too lazy to actually change up the settings to my personal taste, and the Digizoid ZO fixed all of my problems. It's up to you whether you want to spend $100, but I would personally recommend getting the ZO 2.
Thx for your opinion, i'm still in doubt.

Now, i really don't know a lot about sound. So, if I understand you correctly, the ZO2 (or any other amplifier) works as a equalizer (and improves volume off course) ?

So, if I buy an ZO2, than what is the importance of having a good mp3-player? Because i've read on this forum several times that say an Cowon J3 on flat EQ doesn't have better SQ than a Sony or a Samsung on flat EQ, and that the J3 is so good because of the BBE and the EQ. So, does a ZO2 then surpasses the BBE and the EQ of the Cowon?

I was just planning to upgrade my Cowon I9 to a J3 for the extended memory, battery life and dedicated buttons, but is it correct that with say an ipod classic and a Digizoid ZO2 I would get same SQ, or is this incorrect?

Thx beforehand, really appreciate you guys giving me some lessons about all this because although i have a passion for music and portable audio, I really know nothing about the technical stuff

Old 11-10-2011, 03:53 PM

Importance of having a good MP3 player is that you get a good quality sound from it, without having the need to buy a amp. It's less to carry around, wires, charging etc....

I have the Cowon J3 and the ZO2 /ipod, and I hate to say it I really do, but right now there is no way the 2 could compete.

I love the BBE EQ in the J3 has to offer, I am hoping Digizoid work out the issues and get it right. But the way it's looking right now, the huge expectations of the ZO2 are falling way short for some people. The great thing about Digizoid, they want to make it right and get their customers happy, It will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Old 11-10-2011, 04:35 PM
Ultra Senior Member

My last post still stands Just ignore the middle paragraph, thats just pointless techno babble...

I'll be able to give more impressions once mine arrives.

Old 11-10-2011, 04:47 PM
ABI Invaluable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuur View Post
… So, if I understand you correctly, the ZO2 (or any other amplifier) works as a equalizer (and improves volume off course)? …
This is false, an amp is a device that increases the power of a signal and does not work as an equalizer. An equalizer is either software (firmware) or hardware that increases or reduces (adjusts) the energy of specific frequency bands.

Quote:
… So, if I buy an ZO2, than what is the importance of having a good mp3-player? Because i've read on this forum several times that say an Cowon J3 on flat EQ doesn't have better SQ than a Sony or a Samsung on flat EQ, and that the J3 is so good because of the BBE and the EQ. …
What you may have read is that it’s highly unlikely that one can hear the difference between volume matched top tier mp3 players on flat EQ and yes what makes the difference is the Cowon sound enhancements (called JetEffects) and the features one wants can differ from player to player.

Quote:
… So, does a ZO2 then surpasses the BBE and the EQ of the Cowon? …
Not IMO but it adds to the bass/impact that pleases some peeps taste.

Quote:
… I was just planning to upgrade my Cowon I9 to a J3 for the extended memory, battery life and dedicated buttons, but is it correct that with say an ipod classic and a Digizoid ZO2 I would get same SQ, or is this incorrect? …
I’m confused are you saying that an ipod with a digizoid zo2 would give you the same sound quality as a cowon J3? I don’t think so, but maybe an ipod with a good equalizer app can be tuned closely but I would still prefer the J3 IMO.

In closing I'd say go with the J3 and see how you like the sound out of the headphones you use, if you need more impact on your bass then give the ZO 2 a try ....

Last edited by WalkGood; 11-10-2011 at 08:17 PM.

Old 11-10-2011, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
This is false, an amp is a device that increases the power of a signal and does not work as an equalizer. An equalizer is either software (firmware) or hardware that increases or reduces (adjusts) the energy of specific frequency bands.

What you may have read is that it’s highly unlikely that one can hear the difference between top tier mp3 players on flat EQ and yes what makes the difference is the Cowon sound enhancements (called JetEffects) and the features one wants can differ from player to player.

Not IMO but it adds to the bass/impact that pleases some peeps taste.

I’m confused are you saying that an ipod with a digizoid zo2 would give you the same sound quality as a cowon J3? I don’t think so, but maybe an ipod with a good equalizer app can be tuned closely but I would still prefer the J3 IMO.

In closing I'd say go with the J3 and see how you like the sound out of the headphones you use, if you need more impact on your bass then give the ZO 2 a try ....
Ok, all your answers have been a great help for me to decide, and I just placed my J3 order so looking forward to the delivery. I won't get the ZO2 as I mainly (95%) listy to classical music where bass is less important (i guess? ).

Old 11-11-2011, 09:40 PM
Visiting troll from Pocketables

Mine came today and I love it. Been using it all day with and now I don't know how I lived without one for so long.

Old 11-13-2011, 02:19 PM

can anyone tell me, if I can match the sound of say... hippo vb or atrio in the sub bass department joining the ZO2 with bassy iem's?
I'm looking for other set right now and I'd rather spend the money on the ZO2 + other iem's which I can give another "life" than spending on one iem and have that sound sig only

Old 11-14-2011, 11:11 AM

I like the ZO2 better in all areas except I think the hiss is twice as loud with sensitive iems (ortofone e-Q5, JH13) Hope Digizoid fixes the hiss and it might be the Jesus amp.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:32 AM
ABI Invaluable

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Larch View Post
I like the ZO2 better in all areas except I think the hiss is twice as loud with sensitive iems ...
I just hate hiss from amps, so what phones are you using it with to avoid the hiss?

Old 11-14-2011, 11:33 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Avoid IEM's.....no more hiss!

Old 11-14-2011, 01:37 PM

Most full size phones and small phones work fine, slight hiss on the TMA-1s.
SM3s & qjays have a slight hiss. So I am still holding on to my ZO1 even though it has a glossy finger print magnet shell, a turn on pop, week LEDs, and a poorer battery life.