android
Old 10-17-2011, 12:50 PM

Default Wifi problems?

So, this b22chris on youtube posted a couple of videos of the 4.0,
but says he has to return it because of terrible wifi reception!
I was wondering if someone could say if this is true or not for all devices, or if he just got a defective one. Could you tell how far away you can still get a signal from your router? If you have a ipod touch, is it better or worse wifi range than that?
Thank you!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-17-2011, 12:58 PM

Two solid brick walls, approx 10m from the router (older netgear, conncted on g-band) and it's still enough for watching streamed videos or using internet radio. So I'd say reception is actually good for such a small device...

Old 10-17-2011, 03:29 PM

I have no Wifi issue at all with my 5.0 (Korean Model)

Old 10-17-2011, 04:04 PM

Mine does has noticeably worse reception than my late Asus Transformer, but still working for me.

Old 10-17-2011, 04:19 PM

So,my room is roughly 35-40 feet away from my g-type router with 2 thin drywall walls inbetween. Should I still get at least 75% reception?
My old psp gets about 50-60%. Also my friends ipod can pick up like 10
different access points in a parking lot were I can't usually get any with the psp,
Could someone with an ipod and one of these compare the number of access points?

Old 10-18-2011, 12:34 AM

I can pick up numerous wifi signals from several rooms and floors away in my dorm, and connect to them with a strong enough signal to stream movies, if the owner doesn't password protect.

Also, I can pick up wifi from my universities building across the street.

Signals fluctuate sometimes, but only if it's a distant signal. If I'm, for example, at a coffee shop with free wifi, the signal is always full bars and stays there.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:14 AM

WiFi with 5.0 is working great for me. Dozens of WiFi connections around me.

Old 10-24-2011, 07:15 AM

My Wifi worked alright for the first several days, then it started "resetting" itself every few minutes. I haven't timed it, but at a fairly regular interval, the wifi just disconnects then reconnects.

I downloaded the Wifi analyzer app, and my router is on a channel by itself, with no overlap from any other access points, and the signal is pretty strong. And, as I said, it worked fine the first few days.

I'm going to try connecting to another wifi network, just in case. If I still have the problem, I'm going to take it back and exchange it.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:58 PM

Unhappy Same problems

I am having the same issues as the guy above me with the Galaxy Player 4.0. I purchased it the day it came out in the US (Sept. 16th). I noticed the problem right away. It seemed to cut out for just one second about every 20 seconds or so.

I used the device all around the house, even right in front of the router and it still cut out. I downloaded the WiFi Analyzer and it showed the dropouts occurred almost like clockwork. All my other WiFi devices in the house (PC's, Wii, PS3, iPod) work fine. I contacted Belkin to see if there might have been something with my router so I reset it to factory defaults and dropouts still occurred. I tried changing channels and all; no luck.

The next thing I decided to do was contact Samsung. They said there weren't any complaints or issues regarding the device they were aware of.

Last week I decided to go to Best Buy where I bought the device and purchased another one (so I had two in my possession). Lo and behold the same issue occurred.

I tried going to local hotspots and they didn't all seem to hold. But I am going to say the strangest thing occurred when I went to bring my newer device back. I went to the McDonald's across the parking lot and used their hotspot and it didn't drop out the whole time I was in there, and I checked it out on BOTH devices... can anyone explain that?

I would really hate to return the device, I wanted something running Android with just WiFi, since I have no use for a phone.

So if at least 3 devices are having the same problem it has to be something internal. Is this something that Samsung could fix with a patch (would they even think about doing it, or is it not worth their time)?

Old 11-11-2011, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge264 View Post
I am having the same issues as the guy above me with the Galaxy Player 4.0. I purchased it the day it came out in the US (Sept. 16th). I noticed the problem right away. It seemed to cut out for just one second about every 20 seconds or so.

I used the device all around the house, even right in front of the router and it still cut out. I downloaded the WiFi Analyzer and it showed the dropouts occurred almost like clockwork. All my other WiFi devices in the house (PC's, Wii, PS3, iPod) work fine. I contacted Belkin to see if there might have been something with my router so I reset it to factory defaults and dropouts still occurred. I tried changing channels and all; no luck.

The next thing I decided to do was contact Samsung. They said there weren't any complaints or issues regarding the device they were aware of.

Last week I decided to go to Best Buy where I bought the device and purchased another one (so I had two in my possession). Lo and behold the same issue occurred.

I tried going to local hotspots and they didn't all seem to hold. But I am going to say the strangest thing occurred when I went to bring my newer device back. I went to the McDonald's across the parking lot and used their hotspot and it didn't drop out the whole time I was in there, and I checked it out on BOTH devices... can anyone explain that?

I would really hate to return the device, I wanted something running Android with just WiFi, since I have no use for a phone.

So if at least 3 devices are having the same problem it has to be something internal. Is this something that Samsung could fix with a patch (would they even think about doing it, or is it not worth their time)?
I think it's a software bug. I didn't have any problems with froyo 2.2.1, but when I upgraded to 2.2.2 and later 2.3.6, I could no longer connect to my schools network (it says connecting, then immediately when it makes a connection, it disconnects and labels itsself as disabled). I only have problems with that one signal though, and my laptop does to.... so it could very well be something on my colleges end in my case.

Old 11-11-2011, 01:02 PM

on my 4.0 the wifi before and after the upgrade is about the same which is by a far measure, tons better than my Archos 43.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:58 PM

So, further update on the wifi problems I was having...

I had been worried about needing to return my device because the wireless would cut out on a very regular basis (like clockwork, as the other guy said).

Still, returns/exchanges are a huge hassle, so I took it to work and tried it out against the wireless network there. No problem at all. The wifi worked wonderfully.

My conclusion: some feature of my home router, or some periodic external source of interference, was killing my wifi at home. But I wasn't ready to give up yet. I tried out Wifi Analyzer (a WONDERFUL piece of software, I might add), and determined that it wasn't related to signal strength, and I didn't pick up any rogue networks that were popping in and popping out on the interval of my dropouts.

My wifi access point/router is a Buffalo WHR-G54S running DD-WRT. I decided to check if there was newer firmware for my router, and there wasn't a new _version_, but there was a new _build_. I couldn't find a changelog, but I updated (not without trouble, and a few panicked moments of "how do I fix this without the internet to look things up on!), and now it connects like champ.

So, end result: My tablet seems to be working fine. It just didn't like SOMETHING that my access point was doing. Probably some software-controlled feature of the wifi that it was objecting to. It's quite possible that there's a specific setting I might have been able to tweak directly to fix it without resorting to a firmware upgrade, but I wouldn't know how to figure that out.

Old 11-11-2011, 08:57 PM

wifi signal range on my 5.0 is just slightly less than on my 4th gen ipod touch. I have a router an three access points scattered around my farm. The SGP does do a better job dropping one signal to pick up another than the ipod.

Old 11-12-2011, 10:28 AM

I have a Chinese version of the 4.0 which I had originally put the 2.2.1 Taiwan/HK firmware on and then updated to the EU version of 2.3.5. I live here in China with some other Americans and so our router is actually in the girl apt across the hall. It's not very far but I've got like two good sized cement walls between me and the router. And its a crappy old router.
After the update the visual display of the signal seems to be lower but I haven't noticed an actual lower speed. Despite the walls I can still connect and get a signal tho sometimes it shows up as no bars. Sitting right on the other side of the thick cement wall I get full signal. So the wifi seems to work just fine for me.

Old 11-13-2011, 02:24 PM

I've had the same problem. I actually did return my first SGP because of this. Wifi on it was pretty well unusable. The second one is better but the problem is still there.

I put Wifi Analyzer on both the SGP and also my seven-inch Galaxy Tab so that I could watch my router signal from two different devices (The Galaxy Tab has never given me any trouble). On the time graph on the Galaxy Tab, the signal is rock-steady, but periodically on the SGP I can see it periodically disconnect and re-connect. Based on that, I don't believe my router (a cheap Belkin) is dropping the signal, but for some reason the SGP is deciding to disconnect and re-connect.

I've got the SGP set to never sleep, and I don't see anything else in the wifi settings or advanced settings tab that makes any difference. I don't use the wifi that much (just for Market and updates) so it isn't a huge, huge problem, but I would like it to be right.

Old 11-13-2011, 03:24 PM

Hmm, well after several weeks with my 4.0 (gingerbread version) all I can say is this : my wifi level hovers around 0-1 bars with my room 40 ft away from the router, however that being said, the actuall loading times seem just about as good as whem Im right next to the router, so who knows if it is actually a software glitch or if it has a bad antenna. I personally think it is just a software glitch. I haven't had it drop me at all that Ive noticed Also I really haven't had the chance to go out and test how many signalls on average it can pick up in town (I live on a ranch). Overall I don't think there is really a problem (at least on my device).

Old 11-13-2011, 04:34 PM

I have seen youtube videos reviewing the player and I have noticed that the wifi bars jump around from full to just barely one while the reviewer doesn't even move but they do not mention this in the review. What I wonder is does the affect the ability to connect to the hotspots at first since the player may not think it has a strong signal. I want clarification on this before I buy. I don't want the device if it does not work on wifi since that would make it useless. And I don't want to go through the hassle of returning it.

I have a belkin router like the one mentioned as dropping like clockwork

Old 11-13-2011, 05:28 PM

My 5.0 only shows 2-3 bars, while my laptop shows a full signal. Yet when I ran the Speakeasy speed test on both, the SGP beat the laptop in downloading and uploading tests. I do think there is a flaw in the bars displayed versus how strong the WiFi signal actually is. I've never had a problem with the device dropping WiFi, either at home or using it on WiFi networks elsewhere. I use a Cisco router. I don't notice any flaw in the WiFi other than perhaps it shows the signal as being weaker than it actually is. People may either have defective units or maybe they have conditions that cause WiFi to drop out, such as some type of interference.

Old 11-13-2011, 05:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Anyone thought to see if their routers have updates available? I've got a dlink router and after suffering though all sort of wifi problems finally checked for a firmware update. Sure enough the update solved every single complaint.

Old 11-28-2011, 03:37 PM