android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Samsung > Samsung Galaxy Player Series

Old 11-29-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1776 View Post
Will a headphones/microphone set work on a SGP 5 to use the headphones instead of the speaker and the mike instead of the built in mike?
Yes, the ear buds they come with even have a mic.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-30-2011, 10:48 AM

Default The earpod has an in-line mic!

Amazing! You're right, there is a mic in the earpod switch assembly! Thanks for the heads-up on that. It worked fine with the Skype calls.

Follow-on question, how does is button supposed to behave? I find that, with my setup and apps, if I depress the button it silences the currently being played music e.g. pandora radio. But then when I press the button again, it goes back to my last personal music that I played previously. It doesn't return back to Pandora or other downloaded music app. I don't mind that but it would be nice if it just returned to the app that was in progress when I pushed the button.
Any tip on how I could reset that?

Old 11-30-2011, 01:16 PM

That does seem odd. I don't have my 5.0 yet, but I just looked at the manual and there's nothing about the mic or button. I would close any app that you're not using. If the app is closed, I wouldn't think it would go to a song in that app.

edit: Just received it... charging. I just ordered a screen protector "just in case", screen is too nice to scratch! Don't think it's Gorilla Glass, but who knows. Ordered: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-Samsung-G...item3f0f9ff34a

Last edited by tcat; 11-30-2011 at 02:50 PM.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:56 AM

No, the app is closed but then is launched upon pressing the button! So to be clear, I play a song from my mp3 library, I close that app and start listening to streaming radio (Radio Companion). Then the phone rings, etc. so I press the earpod cord button to silence, but instead it launches Samsung music player again and plays the last song I played there! Then if I press earpod cord button again it goes back to streaming radio but it was paused so there is silence there until touching PLAY icon on the Radio Companion.

Also if I'm listening to the mp3 music and launch the streaming radio, without doing anything with the button yet, the streaming radio takesprecendent and if i look at the mp3 player app it is paused.

I know why they didn't try to explain this in the manual, it is too confusing!!

Rock on and good luck with your new 5.0, you're going to love it!

Last edited by MulberrySGP5; 12-01-2011 at 01:02 AM. Reason: Mistake

Old 12-01-2011, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulberrySGP5 View Post
I know why they didn't try to explain this in the manual, it is too confusing!!
The pause button's behaviour isn't consistent. I haven't figured out yet if its because the Samsung music player is overreaching or if other apps have to explicitly take control of the button. In my MediaFly app for podcast playback, the click pauses and resumes playback but in other similar apps it either does nothing or starts a track from the music player.

(for reference, I have a US based Galaxy Player 4.0)

Old 12-02-2011, 06:55 PM

I can confirm my Optimus-V chager does NOT work with the SGP5, nor does the car charger I was using with it. Plug it in and doesn't even say "charging" under battery status. The OV charger is onl .7 amp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyunmet View Post
I think any universal charger should work for the galaxy player 5.0. Most universal chargers output 1amp through their usb slots I think. As long as the amp output from the car charger is equal or higher than the wall charger that the galaxy player came with then you should be fine. I found this discussion on an android that was interesting, hope it helps.

http://androidforums.com/captivate-a...-chargers.html

Old 12-06-2011, 09:19 AM

can I use a normal galaxy S screenprotector for the galaxy s wifi 4.0???
And can I use a galaxy s case to protect it? will it fit, (I know the S has a bump below, but will such a case fit???)

Edit: question about the case.
Edit 2: Never mind guys, I went to several stores to see if anyone would open a case and try it on the 4.0 (as it is almost the same size as the galaxy S phone.) I can tell you the hard cases don't fit, the rubber silicone cases however fit, they fit it just like the phone. (BTW don't buy stuff in a Vodafone shop the service is terrible!, network is good but service terrible.) I didn't buy it there. And for the screen protector, it does fit. A little fidgin around, it is somewhat smaller in length (3.0 mm) from top to bottom but it does fit and my screen is clear clean and protected. And I guess it depends on the brand how the height is. The one I got is a colorfone screen guard for the i900 (1 for € 7,50 but great guard). Next time I'll try the case mate 2 for €10,- but I needed to be sure it would fit, as no one answered to my original question.
Hope it helps and someone was also wondering the same thing. for the 5 inch player I would just get an iPad screen guard, (3 for 8 bucks) and get a cutting knife and make your own, which will result in the best fit you can get (maybe I will do the same for the 4 inch if they don't sell the i900 anymore, but for now I'm lazy)

Last edited by bbaasje; 12-07-2011 at 09:32 AM.

Old 12-07-2011, 02:56 PM

Hi
Newbie to the site.
From a previous post, I'm still interested in any experience about whether the Zagg IS will diminish the capacitive/touch function at all?

I've been using the Zagg on a non-touch device for 5 years and it's absolutely great in terms of durability, and pretty minimal in terms of visually obscuring the clarity of the screen/image. Just not sure about the capacitive/touch aspect.

Thanks
EDIT: 2011-12-19
Got the Zagg. Absolutely no negative effect on the "touch" sensitivity. It's great.

Last edited by Blackdog; 12-19-2011 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Additional information

Old 12-07-2011, 04:59 PM

I installed a cheap $3 Ebay screen protector. Doesn't seem to effect sensitivity. Does fingerprint a lot more! As soon as I get a case, I plan on removing it. The glass may not be "Gorilla" but it does seem very scratch resistant.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
Hi
Newbie to the site.
From a previous post, I'm still interested in any experience about whether the Zagg IS will diminish the capacitive/touch function at all?

I've been using the Zagg on a non-touch device for 5 years and it's absolutely great in terms of durability, and pretty minimal in terms of visually obscuring the clarity of the screen/image. Just not sure about the capacitive/touch aspect.

Thanks
well I'm not so familiar with the zagg perse, but I know they have great scratch resistant products, which are meant for touch screens.
From a personal perspective, having the P2 with cheap shields and having expensive shields, they all work fine, and the touch function isn't affected. If you would use a PSP screen protector however the sensitivity is affected.
But when you use one, take a good one. I've had it that some of the cheaper ones couldn't be applied properly and air and other stuff easily got between it and the screen and you just wasted a screen. And some of the cheaper ones are so thin that they don't offer any protection at all only from smudgy fingers.
But they are pretty expensive...those zaggs, as I stated before, just go for a galaxy S i 900 screen protector,. they also fit and are somewhat cheaper and if you don't use a case every screenprotector will peel of easily by daily usage.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:57 AM

Beware of chargers/USB cables. I have 4 USB to micro USB cables laying around. 2 charge it, 2 do not. The cable from my Optimus phone doesn't charge, the cable from my Logitech mouse does charge. The wall jack piece seems to work on all of them (they're all .7 amp). You can tell if the USB cable is working or not by looking at battery status, will either say "charging" or "discharging" when plugged in.

Also, if you think the case is to slick, I bought a roll of this: http://www.amazon.com/ISC-Jessup-Rub...3454651&sr=8-7 Cut a couple .5" wide strips for the sides of the back case. Feels much less likely to slip from my hand now.

Last edited by tcat; 12-09-2011 at 12:20 PM.

Old 12-09-2011, 03:26 PM

This battery http://www.ebay.com/itm/2430MAH-HIGH...-/130568244597 will work with the 4.0 version. Anyone brave?

Old 12-10-2011, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandro87 View Post
This battery http://www.ebay.com/itm/2430MAH-HIGH...-/130568244597 will work with the 4.0 version. Anyone brave?
Sweet, dude, nice find!

Old 12-10-2011, 12:34 PM

I just got a semi-soft case. It isn't as soft as the silicone ones I've seen, but still has a reasonable amount of friction (like to keep it from sliding on the car seat).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/260911498630...84.m1497.l2649
It fits, all the holes line up, they ship immediately from a US stock location.

Steve

Old 12-10-2011, 03:18 PM

Default Samsung Galaxy 5.0 belt pouch

Hi,

Found a real nice leather belt pouch for the Galaxy 5.0. You can fit your belt through the loops of the case so its secure on your body. The galaxy 5.0 fits nicely in the horizontal pouch but with a gel case its a much tighter but doable fit. The dimensions are 5.1 x 2.7 x 0.7 inches but the leather expands so it fits the 5.6inch Galaxy horizontal dimension. I found this case at a local fleamarket for $5 and it works great.
I searched the internet and found this case selling at Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...n=&s=&v=glance I didn't buy this case through this seller and don't know them but this is the Reiko case I found at the flea market. Hopefully this helps everyone looking for a case as it took me awhile to find one.

Old 12-10-2011, 08:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I'm using the Riot Outfitters Folio for my SGP 5.0, and it's a decent case. The leather flap covers the screen, but since it opens on the opposite side (a book opening in reverse) the volume & power controls are covered. I need to open the flap to access these basic controls.

Also, the HP jack opening is a bit small. I had an issue where plugging in my HP's was a bit difficult - the speakers kept coming on and the HP's weren't getting any juice (I got a bit worried, I'd thought I'd damaged the HP jack!!!). I slightly enlarged the hole, but it's still an issue till I permanently expand it.

The way the player is mounted inside is nice though - soft plastic or silicon,.... Decent case, but it has too many issues for a full recommendation from me.

BTW: I can't provide a link to the Best Buy listing, as it seems it MIGHT be an in store only item.

Old 12-11-2011, 01:13 PM

I just bought this case for my SGP5, hoping it's a good fit. According to dimensions it should be about perfect. http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-F...3629408&sr=8-1 I have a similar case for my phone, and I like being able to slip it out fast.

Old 12-11-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
I'm using the Riot Outfitters Folio for my SGP 5.0, and it's a decent case. The leather flap covers the screen, but since it opens on the opposite side (a book opening in reverse) the volume & power controls are covered. I need to open the flap to access these basic controls.

Also, the HP jack opening is a bit small. I had an issue where plugging in my HP's was a bit difficult - the speakers kept coming on and the HP's weren't getting any juice (I got a bit worried, I'd thought I'd damaged the HP jack!!!). I slightly enlarged the hole, but it's still an issue till I permanently expand it.
It is odd that the case opens to the right. It looks like it's designed like that so that the camera and speakers can be exposed when you bend the cover and the right half of the back cover all the way back. It's awkward to have to do that to use the camera. My biggest issue with the case is the small opening for the earphones. The first few times I plugged my earphones in, it didn't go in all the way although it looked like it did and no sound came out of the phones. I thought I had a defective earphone jack.

Old 12-11-2011, 05:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The case also has to be removed to charge the player,...I'm waiting on another case to arrive so I can return this to Best Buy and get a refund. IMO it SUX!!!

Old 12-12-2011, 08:10 AM

The only time that I have to take the player out of the case is to remove the external card. The thickness of the case prevents the card cover from being fully opened. I have no problem with plugging in the cord to charge. The opening on the case is just big enough to not block it. Yeah, the RO folio is not the best case, but there are few options currently.