android
Old 10-11-2011, 08:24 AM

Default 8gb Clip+ displaying half the content of my 32gb micro sdhc card

Hello everyone

About a year and a half ago I purchased a Sansa Clip+ 8gb player. My ultimate goal was to add a 32gb micro sd card to have 40gb total space. But they were too expensive at the time so I waited until now. Meanwhile I added a 4gb micro sd card and it worked very well.

So I received my so beloved 32gb card some days ago. I was so excited, finally! So I put all the music I wanted, until about 300mb remains on the card. I let the player refresh itself (taking so long)...only to realize that half my music was not displaying in my player, but all songs playing and displaying in the computer in msc mode; so it can't be the card itself.

I was VERY frustrated because I took all the precautions possibles:

- I bought the card from a trusted store, Future Shop, to be sure that I have a genuine card. (can somebody confirm that Future Shop often sell fake cards?)

- The card is a Sandisk 32gb microsdhc card class 4, to be sure it was compatible.

- I formatted both the player and the card, updated the player with the latest firmware before putting music.

- I asked Sandisk the limit of songs that the OS (operating system) can display: 8000. And my player fully loaded (8gb internal plus 32gb external) have a total of 6872 songs.

I wondered, maybe I have too much folders. I reduced them from 474 to 91, but keeping the same amount of songs. It was not the problem: a lot of songs were not displayed. Like before; so it's not a folders problem.

I even thought that maybe the card reader of my player had a pin broken, preventing it to access some folders. But no, because when I access the card via the player in my computer, I can access all the folders and songs. So the card is read in it's entirely.

When I randomly listen to songs in the card with my computer, they all play instantly and well, so I'm 99.9% sure that the card is working well and that it is not a fake.

So now, I'm here, because this problem now transcend my knowledge. I want to know if some of you know why this is happening.

If I buy another identical player, is there a chance that he will display all? How can my player be working perfectly EXCEPT for this 32gb full displaying thing? I really fear the next player will do the exact same thing.

Is this technology not fully working yet? Am I asking too much right now from technology?

Depending on your answers, I will:

- buy another sansa clip+ 8gb in hope the next will display all;

- buy another model from another company that is known to work well with 32gb microsd cards;

- return my 32gb microsd card to Future Shop trying to have a refund while accepting that my needs are now too great for the current technology and finally wait the day when a 64gb player with a OS capable of displaying 16000 song will be released.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-11-2011, 09:05 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Drealm..

A couple of q's for you.

Are you accessing the files in folder view or tag view?

Are all of your files mp3 files? or are some m4a or mp4 or wav or ????

Are the files that are missing all in one folder or spread throughout?

Are the missing fies the last ones added?

Steve

Old 10-11-2011, 01:48 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Rockbox

Old 10-11-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
Drealm..

A couple of q's for you.

Are you accessing the files in folder view or tag view?

Are all of your files mp3 files? or are some m4a or mp4 or wav or ????

Are the files that are missing all in one folder or spread throughout?

Are the missing fies the last ones added?

Steve
1. I always use the "folders" section at the bottom of the list. Then I go to external card. After ripping my entire CD collection (about 50gb total), I realized that I did not included ID3 tags. And I did not wanted to re-do this all. Even using a software to add ID3 to each song, imagine how long it would be. So I absolutely need "folders" if I don't want my MP3 being all messed up. That's why I bought this Clip+ player in the first place, because of this feature and also because I could add a 32gb card later.

2. It's all MP3; 95% of them are sure to be 224 kbps. I found there was one jpg, I now try without it.

3 & 4: It's the last ones added. I add them in alphabetical order. The result is that all folders from A to O display; from P to Z, nothing. After a quick check, A to O seems complete.

Update: I removed the jpg and some albums that were coming from another source that had ID3 tags. And now the P folder appear, but have not the full content. Everything show until the last folder added and some songs are missing from this last one added; about 7 songs are missing, the last ones that should complete the folder. It's like if there was some limitation from the player. As if it has reached it's maximum.

Before removing the albums, it was 4163 out of 5582 songs displayed.
After that, it was 4116 out of 5427 songs displayed.

(I know this when I choose "play all"; when the first song play, I see 1/4163 for example)

So there not seems to be a specific maximum of songs. Maybe a maximum of MB?

Old 10-12-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
+1

Old 10-12-2011, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatgta3guy View Post
+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
How can I thank you enough guys. Guess what? After all this troubleshooting and frustration, you granted me with this wonderful and perfect solution. A new world just opened before my eyes.

All my 32gb card show, PLUS, there is no "refreshing your media" waiting time, it's just there, waiting to be listened to.

I still can't believe it. Internet is so wonderful sometimes.

I was really desperate on this one, on the verge of giving up (seen the last part of my initial post?)

Even the sound, after some quick listening, seems to be better. You can configure even the speed of the displaying song, how wonderful.

Total satisfaction. Thanks again, and have a nice day!

Old 10-12-2011, 09:43 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I've had Rockbox on my Clip+ for over a year now, and I couldn't imagine using it without RB now. It takes a little bit of learning to see all you can do with it but it's worth the effort....enjoy!