android
Old 10-06-2011, 02:26 PM

Default Firmware Update fails

I have just bought a used Q2 to go with my K5.
I have in the past successfully upgraded the firmware on the K5 but I cannot do so on the Q2. It starts a firmware update then "Update Failed" flashes on the screen and it turns off. The DAT file is deleted from the filesystem root.
The current firmware is 2.02 UK which may be the root of the problem ?
This thread
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=55031
showed the same issue but there was not a positive resolution.

I have tried both modes of PC Connection and have formatted the device.
I have tried 1.23 and earlier firmware files.

Does anyone have any further suggestions ?
Thanks

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-06-2011, 03:18 PM
Samsung Moderator

Well strangly I did not react in the other thread you mentionned but actually firmware 2.02 for Q2 doesn't officially exist, WTF
The latest version 1.23 has been released in May, 2010
So fw 2.02 UK released on 2009.12.22 doesn't make any sense to me. Indeed, there is only one rule at Samsung: the biggest firmware version number, the most recent it is.

But that's very interesting and that's a pity I don't have you device in my hands to analyse it.
If they released a special firmware for the UK that means there are some hardware or software differences and I'd like to know which ones.
A hardware difference would make sense and may explain why you can't upgrade the firmware.

Can you tell me the exact reference on the back of your Q2. For example: YP-Q2JAB/XAA

Old 10-08-2011, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebellium View Post
Well strangly I did not react in the other thread you mentionned but actually firmware 2.02 for Q2 doesn't officially exist, WTF
The latest version 1.23 has been released in May, 2010
So fw 2.02 UK released on 2009.12.22 doesn't make any sense to me. Indeed, there is only one rule at Samsung: the biggest firmware version number, the most recent it is.

But that's very interesting and that's a pity I don't have you device in my hands to analyse it.
If they released a special firmware for the UK that means there are some hardware or software differences and I'd like to know which ones.
A hardware difference would make sense and may explain why you can't upgrade the firmware.

Can you tell me the exact reference on the back of your Q2. For example: YP-Q2JAB/XAA
Uhm. Just read that by chance...Well indeed interesting.
Even if I don't own this device, it's strange samsung did not published a version on the website.

Old 10-08-2011, 08:45 AM

Hi. The model number is YP-Q2JCB/XEu, serial 1RVZ100073X .

The reason for attempting an upgrade was that it sometimes starts pausing between track transfers (MTP) via USB. If there are say 200 3 minute tracks (an audio book) then the transfer from Winamp takes a long time.

Rgds
Alec

Old 10-13-2011, 09:41 AM

Well, at the risk of bricking it, I used a hex editor to change the firmware revision in the DAT file from 1.23 to 2.23 and it updated fine.

Closed

Old 10-13-2011, 11:13 AM
Samsung Moderator

Oops I did not see your previous reply, sorry
Happy to hear this good news even though this firmware 2.xx is still a mystery for me