android
Old 10-01-2011, 12:07 AM

Default Playlist shuffling question.

Hey everyone.

I just got the J3 and successfully got my music with album art work on it. I also converted playlists from itunes and added those successfully as well.

On the iPod, I would just select a playlist and click play. The playlist would be shuffled and a song selected at random without me selecting it first.
Now my question is how do I shuffle a playlist without having to select a song first?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-01-2011, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w0rd1111 View Post
On the iPod, I would just select a playlist and click play. The playlist would be shuffled and a song selected at random without me selecting it first.

Now my question is how do I shuffle a playlist without having to select a song first?
Just set the play-mode to "random/shuffle". Now ANY list that you play (tracks from an album, a playlist, "all tracks" for an artist, etc.) will be in random order.

Of course you do need to start music playing from some track from that list, but from that point on every track selected next from that list will be random.

Refer to page 18 from the J3's PDF user manual, available from the Cowon web site.

To set the play mode to "random/shuffle", start playing a music file and then tap the small down-arrow in the middle of the title bar above the album art. This will reveal a drop-down sub-menu that has five icons (as shown in (3) in the above screenshot). Tap on the second icon from the left to reveal another sub-menu with four icons. The second icon from the left on that sub-menu is the "straight play" or "random/shuffle" control, and tapping repeatedly on it will toggle the value.

Old 10-01-2011, 03:16 AM

Thanks you for all that information, but that method can only help if I use 1 playlist.

To be more clear on what I meant is that I use 6 playlists.

To start a playlist I go to Library>Playlists>PlaylistX

From there instead of being able to just select to play random, it takes me to the list of songs inside the playlist and I have to select one to play and the next song after that will be the shuffled song.

I installed Kizune's UCI mods hoping they would have a solution, but maybe I just am not noticing how to do this...

Old 10-01-2011, 11:35 AM

Well, if I'm understanding your complaint correctly, you would like the J3 to just begin playing the songs named in a playlist when the playlist itself is selected using the Library -> [Playlists] -> specific playlist method.

I guess the music playing implementation in the J3 doesn't provide that exact functionality. What's really happening is that the Library -> [Playlists] step is using the "browser" interface (picking up your M3U playlist file and making its named tracks the current J3 browser playlist). It's only when you tap on an actual track in that J3 playlist that control now transfers to the "music" interface, starting play with the track you selected to open.

In other words, you started this process by coming in from the "main menu" interface (top level main screen of your choice, main menu style 1, 2 or 3) and selecting the "Browser" object icon... eventually ending up in the "Music" object. And the above sequence of things is just how it works when you do that.

Alternatively, you can re-enter the "music" object directly, RESUMING play on whatever file you were last at (e.g. in a track of your last selected M3U playlist file) by selecting the "Music" object from that top-level main menu screen, rather than selecting "Browser". If instead you tap on "music" then you will go immediately from main menu into the "music" interface, resuming from wherever playlist/track you last were... including keeping the "random/shuffle" mode of play within that same playlist.

Of course if you want to change to another one of your six playlist files, you will still need to return to "browser", go through the original Library -> [Playlists] method while still in the browser, select your new playlist, select a track to start from in that playlist, and then the J3 will again return to the "music" interface and start playing from that track and randomly thereafter.

That's just the way it works with the J3's firmware design using the "main menu", "browser", and "music" user interfaces, and what your options are to make use of them.

Old 10-01-2011, 06:52 PM

Yes, you understood my intention correctly there.

I guess this is an adjustment I'll have to make unless it is possible to create a mod for this.