android
Old 04-17-2010, 01:58 PM

Default Long name scrolling

Boy I feel like I've been making a ton of threads lately.

Anyway, this is important. I was surprised when the update didn't fix the problem where you have a song with a long name, and you have no way to read the whole name because it runs off the edge of the screen.

Normally this isn't a problem (with pop songs). But with classical music that doesn't have a name, but rather "Sonata III movement blah blah blah" etc.... I have NO way to tell what I'm looking at.

I will say it again, for a media-centric device, this kind of shit is unacceptable. Why was this not fixed when they just had an opportunity to with the latest firmware update?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-17-2010, 02:22 PM

Completely agree. It's ridiculous that they haven't fix this yet. Maybe they don't see it as needing to be fixed? Not sure about the ZHD but all the earlier models scrolled the song titles under the song list but it would only scroll for about 2-3 seconds so if the title was really long you would never see the whole thing.

Old 04-17-2010, 02:40 PM

Frankly even scrolling isn't a great solution. If I'm looking through a classical album which has a bunch of pieces with long names, even if it scrolls the names I wouldn't be able to discern quickly which song I wanted to play.

And come to think of it, while classical music is often affected by this, so are a number of pop songs on my Zune.

I don't have a solution off the very top of my head, but that's the Zune Team's job, not mine. I just can't understand why they don't solve simple issues like this when it would probably take a very short amount of time/energy to code it in. Like the clock on every page, for instance. I know Dave probably looks at this stuff and thinks I'm nitpicking, but I really do find it crazy these idiotic tiny issues are not addressed.

Old 04-17-2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiventa View Post
Completely agree. It's ridiculous that they haven't fix this yet. Maybe they don't see it as needing to be fixed? Not sure about the ZHD but all the earlier models scrolled the song titles under the song list but it would only scroll for about 2-3 seconds so if the title was really long you would never see the whole thing.
If I recall correctly, the 2.0 release broke long title scrolling... and has been broken every since. My Zune 80 with the latest firmware doesn't scroll titles at all. Neither does my 16GB HD.

Old 04-17-2010, 03:47 PM

^ my 80 with the latest firmware scrolls titles when you; highlight a track under the Song List area (when playing a track, click the center button then select "Show Song List"); when viewing the songs in an Album; Artist titles under Artist view; Album titles scroll under Albums view; and in the Songs view. Pretty much everywhere except the now playing titles under the seek bar. I just double checked each instance and it works for each view.

Old 04-17-2010, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icky6 View Post
Boy I feel like I've been making a ton of threads lately.

Anyway, this is important. I was surprised when the update didn't fix the problem where you have a song with a long name, and you have no way to read the whole name because it runs off the edge of the screen.

Normally this isn't a problem (with pop songs). But with classical music that doesn't have a name, but rather "Sonata III movement blah blah blah" etc.... I have NO way to tell what I'm looking at.

I will say it again, for a media-centric device, this kind of shit is unacceptable. Why was this not fixed when they just had an opportunity to with the latest firmware update?
I listen to a lot of prog rock, where there are a lot of song names, so this bugs me too.
I have a proposition: how about, in the sub-menu (the one you get by holding a press down), the full title comes up? That would be the best solution. But scrolling names would be nice too. Not to mention an actual scrubber.

Old 04-17-2010, 04:07 PM

To see a little more of the title, you can do a long press to bring up the menu.

Old 04-17-2010, 04:35 PM

They should add a feature like the Cowon S9 Where you can change the font size with a little slider. I really liked that feature.

Old 04-17-2010, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedalin View Post
I listen to a lot of prog rock, where there are a lot of song names, so this bugs me too.
I have a proposition: how about, in the sub-menu (the one you get by holding a press down), the full title comes up? That would be the best solution. But scrolling names would be nice too. Not to mention an actual scrubber.
This seems like an OK addition, but not exactly a solution. When looking at a list of 3 different "Toccatta, Adagio & Fugu-" when there are three separate movements, I want to be able to quickly pick the one I want.

Now, if I'm already listening to the song, and simply want to know the name, sure, looking at the submenu is fine to see the full name. But my issue is when I'm looking at a long list of classical songs and not being able to have any convenient way to pick the one I want. If they want to fling around this media-focus nonsense, this is a huge oversight IMHO.

Old 04-17-2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
This seems like an OK addition, but not exactly a solution. When looking at a list of 3 different "Toccatta, Adagio & Fugu-" when there are three separate movements, I want to be able to quickly pick the one I want.

Now, if I'm already listening to the song, and simply want to know the name, sure, looking at the submenu is fine to see the full name. But my issue is when I'm looking at a long list of classical songs and not being able to have any convenient way to pick the one I want. If they want to fling around this media-focus nonsense, this is a huge oversight IMHO.
The only workaround I know of is to edit the title to include something like "1 Toccatta, Adagio & Fugu", "2 Toccatta, Adagio & Fugu" and so on. But seriously we shouldn't have to rely on workarounds for a basic feature that should be there to begin with.

Old 04-17-2010, 06:45 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
But my issue is when I'm looking at a long list of classical songs and not being able to have any convenient way to pick the one I want. If they want to fling around this media-focus nonsense, this is a huge oversight IMHO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiventa View Post
The only workaround I know of is to edit the title to include something like "1 Toccatta, Adagio & Fugu", "2 Toccatta, Adagio & Fugu" and so on. But seriously we shouldn't have to rely on workarounds for a basic feature that should be there to begin with.
X2

Old 04-17-2010, 06:56 PM

you can also go to internet tilt sideways and bring up now playing to see a little more but really this issue is pretty ridiculous

Old 04-18-2010, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate8nate View Post
To see a little more of the title, you can do a long press to bring up the menu.
The device actually cuts off long names short; I've checked.

Old 04-18-2010, 12:00 PM

This would require a significant modification of the interface, but perhaps Microsoft could add an option to turn the player sideways in music mode to see the full information of the song playing, or add some multi-touch gestures to scroll left to right on lists of songs, artists, or albums.

Old 04-18-2010, 12:15 PM

Great idea.

I have a lot of music (progressive metal, rock, ...) with very long names for tracks and I don't know the complete name of the song. Also happens with classical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meng Bomin View Post
This would require a significant modification of the interface, but perhaps Microsoft could add an option to turn the player sideways in music mode to see the full information of the song playing, or add some multi-touch gestures to scroll left to right on lists of songs, artists, or albums.

Old 04-18-2010, 03:03 PM

Agreed with OP. This issue is pretty much bullshit.

Old 04-19-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meng Bomin View Post
That would be very nice, but they would have to change the software too as it cuts off long song names as well.
Landscape mode would fix most of the issues.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:35 PM

Well it's a bit of a necro, but I was about to post this same thing.... An interesting answer I just got on the official MS forum (notice how the got rid of the zune.net forum?) is just plain disturbing...

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...e-f6a914807cda

Old 03-09-2011, 02:47 PM

Yeahh I hate that too my sony Walkman x series also doesn't scroll fox example this song of Vivaldi Chamber Concerto for Viola d'Amore, Strings & continuo in A minor RV 397: Allegro I Gets cut in the sony screen but it has an Option menu to see full song info.

Old 03-09-2011, 02:50 PM

PS: I tried an Ipod Touch and i couldn't figure how to make it scroll This may be a symptom of touchscreen devices?