android
Old 12-31-2006, 09:21 AM

Default Sony MDR V700 DJ headphones

I currently own a pair of sony MDR V300s and im thinking of updating my headphones and passing down my headphones 2 my younger bro, for a small fee of course , Newyaz i was wondering if the V700s are good heaphones primarily for mp3 player use? ie do they drain the battery and are there headphones better than the V700s at the same 70 sterling pricetage thats around US$120

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-31-2006, 10:00 AM

Ummm... they're not really good phones, you know?
For DJing they might be ok-ish, with their bloated farty mid-bass (hence their nickname "fartcannons"), but for that price you could get a lot better ones.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=100463

If you want closed phones with good bass in roughly the same price range, check out the Sennheiser HD-25 or Beyerdynamic DTX 700 (or DTX800/900 if you don't care that they're open designed).

Old 01-12-2007, 03:29 PM

Ok i've swayed away from the VDJ 700s, but i i looked around for some similar price ranged "cans" and saw the Sennheisser HD 595, would these be good headphones to use with an mp3 player? most likely the zen vision m in the near future.

Old 01-12-2007, 03:42 PM

The Senn 595 are open cans... so they're good for use at home, but they won't cut it in noisy environments. The ones I recommended above are all closed-design cans and isolate better against outside noise.

If you want one of the best closed cans available, get the DT 770, the ones linked in my signature.

Old 01-12-2007, 04:53 PM

Ampless you may want to consider the Audio Technica ATH-a900 or Ath-a700

Old 01-13-2007, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
The Senn 595 are open cans... so they're good for use at home, but they won't cut it in noisy environments. The ones I recommended above are all closed-design cans and isolate better against outside noise.

If you want one of the best closed cans available, get the DT 770, the ones linked in my signature.
I agree with dfkt

In addition I would like to add two more cans at different price points for you to audition and consider.

Sennheiser HD280 pro (64 ohm version) should cost you around $100 US if you look hard. We have two pairs and they block out noise almost as good as those cans that you see the guys who park 747s wearing.

Sennheiser HD201, made in china and so they are much cheaper. I have listened to these in the stores and they are very good for the money. If you look around you will find these for less than $40. These are only 32 ohm resistance and around 106db sensitivity and so they can go real loud even with a small mp3 player.

Both of the above are closed back and so will avoid noise leaking in and music leaking out

Old 01-13-2007, 11:47 AM

I would say look at AKG, K240S, K141s, or K271...all good cans. also, like Dfkt said; the DT770 are great cans. personally i dont like Senn. cans but thats just me.

cheers

-Mikael

Old 01-13-2007, 11:50 AM

The AKG K141 and K240 are open cans, too... the K271 is closed, it would be fine for street use.

I own the K141S, they're nicely balanced and have a good soundstage, but I would never think of using them outside my room. I can hear every little whisper through them.

Old 01-13-2007, 01:16 PM

Ok, upon reading your comments, which helped alot by the way , ive narrowed the choice to between the Senn. HD 280 and the DT 770 pro.
Upon looking at the specs i realised that the 770s had a much greater fequency response of 5-35,000 Hz wherese the Senn had 8-25,000Hz however the sound pressure of the Senn was 102db and the 770s 98dbs, though i beleive this would be negliable. Furthermore the 770s had a larger impendance of 80 ohms would that mean that the battery life of the mp3 player would be drained more quickly? thanks for your time

Old 01-13-2007, 01:18 PM

dfkt: I use my K240S as a portable pair sometimes, and yes you can hear everything, BUT when im using them outside i DONT want to block everything out beacuse I want it to be background music. i.e. walking around downtown, in school, etc.

anywhoo...if you MUST have closed back then go K271 or DT770.

p.s.I forgot to add that I had the chance to listen to the K141S and compare it to the K240S and I must say the soundsignature is nearly identical, perhaps the K141 has a bit more midrange punch but a far deal more outside noise. so for a portable semi-open/open can the K240 is probably a superior choice.

cheers

-Mikael

Old 01-13-2007, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonicxxplosive View Post
Ok, upon reading your comments, which helped alot by the way , ive narrowed the choice to between the Senn. HD 280 and the DT 770 pro.
Upon looking at the specs i realised that the 770s had a much greater fequency response of 5-35,000 Hz wherese the Senn had 8-25,000Hz however the sound pressure of the Senn was 102db and the 770s 98dbs, though i beleive this would be negliable. Furthermore the 770s had a larger impendance of 80 ohms would that mean that the battery life of the mp3 player would be drained more quickly? thanks for your time
to make a decision between these cans you need to hear them, ass the stats cant tell you what they sound like in your ears.

about the impedance, the higher impedence there is the more power they need to drive them, also for anything over 70ohms or so i would personally use a small amp like a PA2v2.

cheers

-Mikael

Old 01-13-2007, 01:30 PM

Yes, the 80 Ohms of the DT770 is more or less the upper limit for unamped usage... but they sound fine out of the 30mW amp of my iAudio X5. I wouldn't use them with anything below 20mW, however.

As a comparison:
With the 80 Ohm DT770s I usually listen around volume level 30 (of 40).
With the 11 Ohm UE Super.Fi EB (119dB/mW) I generally listen around level 12.

Old 01-13-2007, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Yes, the 80 Ohms of the DT770 is more or less the upper limit for unamped usage... but they sound fine out of the 30mW amp of my iAudio X5. I wouldn't use them with anything below 20mW, however.

As a comparison:
With the 80 Ohm DT770s I usually listen around volume level 30 (of 40).
With the 11 Ohm UE Super.Fi EB (119dB/mW) I generally listen around level 12.
Do you have any idea what the amp the Creative Zen Visiom M is seeing as that is the HDD player im most likely to get unless you can sway me of course

Old 01-13-2007, 03:19 PM

all i know about the ZV:M's amp is that it is more powerful than the iPods and it is of better quality. mind you this info is just from a couple of head-fi searches.

cheers

-Mikael

Old 01-14-2007, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonicxxplosive View Post
Do you have any idea what the amp the Creative Zen Visiom M is seeing as that is the HDD player im most likely to get unless you can sway me of course
I have the ZVM and although I can not answer you specific question, I can give you some examples.

Using the same tune under the same conditions and with the noise capped EU firmware as opposed to the higher output ( according to most users) US firmware.

Senn HD 280 pro (64 ohm), volume at 22 from 25

Grado SR60, 32 ohm, open backed 23 or 24 from 25

Senn CX300, 16 ohm closed Inner Ear Monitor, 15 to 17 from 25.

In addition, both my lads regularly use HD280s with an MSI 540 and and Archos 40gb large screen mp4 player.

The only portable we have had problems with is a Tevion CD/mp3 player that distorted when asked to drive either the HD280s or the Grado SR60s

Search the threads if you have any questions about firmware as I am not an expert, ZenChick is the most knowledgeable person on these matters and indeed on a lot of computer software and hardware matters.

One the Senn HD280, the reason why I post 64 ohm is that because they are semi-pro gear they are made in two versions, a 64 ohm version for regular usage and a 300 ohm version for use with direct outputs from studio mixing desks and the like. Make sure you get the correct version