android
Old 09-27-2011, 03:25 PM

Default How to make subtitles work

Greetings!

Since I have my j3,I never figured out how to make individual subtitle work!(always watched movies with sub pasted)

I wanted to watch Eurotrip today

Downloaded,encoded with SUPER,everything normal..

Found a subtitle (.sub format) converted into .SRT with Subtitle Workshop

then in my players Video folder I made another folder with two files (Eurotrip.avi and Eurotrip.srt)

As I expected no subtitle

What went wrong?

(When I play the movie,I go to subtitle icon,activate it,and still nothing)
The subtitle is working when I play the movie on laptop

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-27-2011, 05:04 PM

Could you upload your *.srt and *.sub files? I have had no problems with my *.srt files here so far so I could do a comparison for you.

If that's not possible, then have a look at this *.srt file and compare it with your own:
http://rvzt.net/Temp/District%209.srt

I've had issues with *.srt files before but only those I've got elsewhere than from my own DVDs. Mainly because some timestamps had negative values in them or was in the wrong order. re-syncing them with VobSub usually fixed that though.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urne View Post
Could you upload your *.srt and *.sub files? I have had no problems with my *.srt files here so far so I could do a comparison for you.

If that's not possible, then have a look at this *.srt file and compare it with your own:
http://rvzt.net/Temp/District%209.srt

I've had issues with *.srt files before but only those I've got elsewhere than from my own DVDs. Mainly because some timestamps had negative values in them or was in the wrong order. re-syncing them with VobSub usually fixed that though.
Sincerely I have no idea how to upload my subtitles,abi doesn't let me upload because it isn't one of the allowed files.

Would a <open with notepad> than <copy/paste on this thread> would help you with something?

Looking for a way to upload(if necessary)

Thx for your time!

Old 09-28-2011, 09:56 AM

I've compared the two subtitles..

Yours :

1 00:00:29,300 --> 00:00:34,064 You know, after last year's corporate, my wife was always encouraging me. 2 00:00:34,065 --> 00:00:37,398 You know, she said: you did fine, you did fine in the corporate. 3 00:00:37,399 --> 00:00:40,470 I was a bit nervous. This little guy... hello. Sorry. this one is mine:

00:01:01,728 --> 00:01:04,606
Eurotrip

00:03:02,140 --> 00:03:05,352
<i>Felicitări promoției 2004
a liceului Hudson High.</i>

00:03:23,537 --> 00:03:24,621
Uite-o. Fiona!

00:03:26,915 --> 00:03:28,000
Pa.

00:03:28,542 --> 00:03:29,626
- Hei.
- Hei!

00:03:30,043 --> 00:03:31,128
Hei, tu.

00:03:34,548 --> 00:03:37,176
- Felicitări absolventule.
- Mersi scumpo.

00:03:38,468 --> 00:03:40,387
Și felicitări și ție, Cooper.

00:03:40,554 --> 00:03:41,638
Mersi scumpo.

00:03:42,347 --> 00:03:44,349
- Bună încercare.
- În regulă.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:35 AM

I have tried using part of your subtitles on the J3 - it seems like it doesn't like some of the symbols you have in them ("Ș" "ț" etc.) much. I've done two tries where the first one resulted in the J3 showing the whole part of the *.srt file I got from you. At second try, I only copied line 8. It either showed the subtitle very quickly or simply skipped it.

This line seems to bother the J3 a lot here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteest
Și felicitări și ție, Cooper.
Try this: Download my subtitles (right-click link -> save as) and give it the same name as your video. Forward the movie a bit and see if they show up - that's a good start to confirm that it isn't your J3 but the subtitles something is wrong with.

Perhaps try to Replace all the language specific symbols with some more native ones. You can use the "Replace" function of Notepad to do that (Ctrl+H). If they still don't work, try to remove big sections of the subtitles until the J3 displays them.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urne View Post
I have tried using part of your subtitles on the J3 - it seems like it doesn't like some of the symbols you have in them ("Ș" "ț" etc.) much. I've done two tries where the first one resulted in the J3 showing the whole part of the *.srt file I got from you. At second try, I only copied line 8. It either showed the subtitle very quickly or simply skipped it.

This line seems to bother the J3 a lot here:

Try this: Download my subtitles (right-click link -> save as) and give it the same name as your video. Forward the movie a bit and see if they show up - that's a good start to confirm that it isn't your J3 but the subtitles something is wrong with.

Perhaps try to Replace all the language specific symbols with some more native ones. You can use the "Replace" function of Notepad to do that (Ctrl+H). If they still don't work, try to remove big sections of the subtitles until the J3 displays them.

it worked!!
Question:What kind of symbols does j3 support? "standard" only?
Now to correct my sub,all of those weird symbols(those doesn't exist in my natal language) and it should work perfectly ?

Thank you!

Old 09-28-2011, 03:42 PM

I'm glad to hear that!

Yes, cleaning up all the weird symbols would probably be your best bet.

It would always be interesting to investigate which symbols and letters isn't supported on the J3 but that would take a very long time figuring out too unfortunately. :/

Without looking much into it my guess would be that Cowon J3 supports Unicode. For instance the Cowon J3 supports all danish characters (æ, ű, ć) and I've had no similar problems related to characters yet myself. All characters in the subtitle snippet you gave me also showed up - The support must be buggy or something though.