android
Old 09-20-2011, 03:29 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Default What headphones do you use with your clip zip?

Was wondering what everyone uses to listen to music on their zip,

i really like the way my clip sounds with my JVC flats . with EQ set on flat

they sound really good to me, i am going to try my px-100's next

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-20-2011, 06:40 AM

I use it with my Audéo PFE, Hifiman RE0, BrainWavz M3, UE TF10, Pana HJE900, Sony MDR-V6, Superlux HD-669, Sony MDR-V700, Soundmagic E10 and a few others I probably forgot.

EQ is set to flat with most of these, RE0 and the M3 get a bit of a bass boost usually, sometimes I dial in some more treble as well for that extra bit of clarity. The HD-669 don't need that, they sound pretty incredible on a flat EQ.

Last edited by razorblader; 09-21-2011 at 06:04 PM.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:34 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgb52 View Post
Was wondering what everyone uses to listen to music on their zip,

i really like the way my clip sounds with my JVC flats . with EQ set on flat

they sound really good to me, i am going to try my px-100's next
I really like the way my Audio Technica ATH-FC700's sound with it, with flat EQ.....they're a great match.

I was using PortaPros with it on-the-go before their cable started crapping out, and with them, I was bumping up the two right-most sliders of the custom EQ up three steps.

I just got a set of Audio Technica ATH-P5's as a low-budget (half the price) PortaPro replacement, and my initial impression is that they are much more clear sounding in the mids and highs, and lighter in the low end than the PortaPros, assuming flat EQ on both. I haven't tinkered with the EQ yet.....I'm giving them a few days for the drivers to settle in before I do that.

I've also tried my Grado SR60i's with it, which sounds really good, but I don't like plugging a big heavy cable like that into such a little player....I don't want the headphone jack failures I've heard about with earlier Clips to happen to me.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:23 PM

Nothin' fancy, £15 JVC XX's, seem very comfortable so far, good sound too.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:10 PM
Ultra Senior Member

"I was using PortaPros with it on-the-go before their cable started crapping out, and with them, I was bumping up the two right-most sliders of the custom EQ up three steps."

Imo the JVC Flats(HAS 160) sounds so much better than the Porta Pro, and is also much less expensive.

How does the Audio Technica ATH-P5 compare to the JVC Flats?

"....I don't want the headphone jack failures I've heard about with earlier Clips to happen to me. "

i think these happen from plugging a straight plug directly into the player. When I use a headphone with a straight plug, I plug that into a Y cable or headone extension cord, and have the right angle plug of that plugged into the player.

Years ago I made the mistake of buying two Grado headphones, the SR60 and SR80. I gave away the SR60, but still have the SR80. I suggest that people avoid Grado headphones. Aside from the high price and annoyingly thick long headphone cord, they leak sound way too much, and some of them(especially the SR60 I had) have shrill highs. For the price, Sennheiser offers much better headphones than Grado.

Imo the JVC Flats is the best compact budget headphone. I wish it had a right angle plug though. The Sennheiser PX100 was nice, but the MKII version is way too expensive.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:06 PM

Since the Clip + and the Zip carry the same sound chip, what I say counts. my Etymotic ER6-i's were beautiful with my Clip, and I am looking forward to using them and the JVC Flats with this. Flat eq was fine for me, btw. Zip estimated delivery... Tomorrow!

Old 09-20-2011, 10:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post

Imo the JVC Flats(HAS 160) sounds so much better than the Porta Pro, and is also much less expensive.
I thought they sounded somewhat alike, back when I had them both.

Quote:
How does the Audio Technica ATH-P5 compare to the JVC Flats?
I really couldn't say for sure, because it's been a while since I had the Flats.

Quote:

i think these happen from plugging a straight plug directly into the player. When I use a headphone with a straight plug, I plug that into a Y cable or headone extension cord, and have the right angle plug of that plugged into the player.
I've used a lot of straight plugs, and never had a problem with the player itself

Quote:
Years ago I made the mistake of buying two Grado headphones, the SR60 and SR80. I gave away the SR60, but still have the SR80. I suggest that people avoid Grado headphones. Aside from the high price and annoyingly thick long headphone cord, they leak sound way too much, and some of them(especially the SR60 I had) have shrill highs. For the price, Sennheiser offers much better headphones than Grado.
They are renowned worldwide as being an incredible bargain for the price, and won a few awards along the way. I will agree on the annoying headphone cord, but as far as shrill highs, well, there are these things called equalizers you know. Even without EQ, I never have found mine to be shrill....a little on the bright side, sure.

Quote:
Imo the JVC Flats is the best compact budget headphone. I wish it had a right angle plug though. The Sennheiser PX100 was nice, but the MKII version is way too expensive.
PX100 needed EQ, I thought, but with EQ was great. Too bad the new one is twice the price, although I was told the other day that they are worth it.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The highs are much better on the JVC Flats than on the Portapro, and the bass on the PortaPro can sound muddy at times.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:07 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Jvc Fx700, Panasonic HJE900, DBA-02, Sony Ex1000, Eterna, SM3, Phonak Pfe, SonyEx600, Fx500, Atrio MG7, HD650.

Old 09-21-2011, 04:58 AM

Pretty happy with my D-Jays: nice design, build quality is quite good and the sound... well... pleases me

Old 09-21-2011, 05:54 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I've decided, some of you dudes here just have way too many headphones.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

"I've decided, some of you dudes here just have way too many headphones. "

How many is too many? We each have only one pair of ears.

I wonder if anyone here has more than 365 headphones? I guess a few here do have more than 52 headphones. Some who have many headphones have accumulated them over 20 or 30 years.

Do any here have over 52 mp3 players?

Old 09-21-2011, 08:22 PM
Ultra Senior Member

^ Muhahahahahahahaha.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:31 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
"I've decided, some of you dudes here just have way too many headphones. "

How many is too many? We each have only one pair of ears.

I wonder if anyone here has more than 365 headphones? I guess a few here do have more than 52 headphones. Some who have many headphones have accumulated them over 20 or 30 years.

Do any here have over 52 mp3 players?
Enzo's closet was choc full, from the pics he posted when he was giving stuff away.

Besides him, my money for the most gear is on dfkt...

Old 09-22-2011, 10:55 AM

Haven't got a Zip yet but I no doubt will be using the buds that come with it. I use them on my clips and fuze and am happy with them.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:12 AM

I didn't like the earbuds that my Clip+ came with. Low quality, weak cable, and it sounded very muffled.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:18 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolkat View Post
I didn't like the earbuds that my Clip+ came with. Low quality, weak cable, and it sounded very muffled.
What headphones do you use with your clip zip?

This is for the clipzip, and it's about using OTHER headphones/IEM's w/the little stinker.

Me, I just got my replacement back from Sansa, and I'm gonna wait to use it. I need to wipe & get Windows7 installed on my comp.

As for what cans I used when I tested it out - ALL of 'em sounded EXCELLENT w/the clipzip. It's a total winner in the SQ dept,...and that was on a FLAT EQ setting BTW.

Old 09-22-2011, 05:33 PM

I'll still be using the stock earbuds that come with the ClipZip!

Old 09-22-2011, 08:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Always interesting to me, how many people really like the stock buds (and even would like to buy them separately)! Me, I've never tried them, using my (pseudo)-audiophile buds instead.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:12 PM
Administrator

Depending which you get the stock buds aren't horrendous, you just miss so much of what's in the music. I stuck with the stock buds for about two years. That was a year and 11 months too long.

I've found you don't need to break the bank to take a nice step up. A set of JVC Flats or Marshmallows helps a lot. There's definitely more that can come from upgrading even more but they can give you an idea what you're missing.