android
Old 09-17-2011, 06:16 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Default PC Remote Control, I'm desperate!

Aight,

I have been looking for a decent remote control for windows pc to control foobar. Simple right?

I mean I have tried two very cheap remotes ($10ish) that have been awful mainly due to being IR rather than RF or wireless 2.4ghz (one was advertised as being 2.4ghz when in fact was not :|

The best I have found is using logitech's wireless Numpad and configuring and sticking media stickers on the numbers as functions (play/pause, skip, shuffle etc). But it's too damn big! I want summin small enough to attach to clothing when walking around the house etc.

Logitech's harmony remote range look to long and cumbersome for what i want and get VERY expensive if carrying RF rather than IR (IR is useless imho, i need it to work behind doors and walls).

There just seems to be NOTHING useful. I used to own logitechs Mediaplay wireless mouse YEARS ago which had configurable buttons, but it broke, was too heavy and could not clip to clothing anyway.

Is there NOTHING out there at the $50 price tag range that has software to allow for configurable buttons for functions!? I find this really pathetic!

I have noticed the foobar community has developed apps for andriod and iphones that allow for skipping tracks etc for foobar, that's really nice, but i dont have an iphone or andriod phone/device.

So people, please help me, I'm just dying for a simple wireless/bluetooth device that is small enough to be clipped to clothing to allow play/pause, skip etc for foobar/winamp etc. Has anyone got any ideas?

I have a smallish logitech nano vx mouse that i can configure buttons to do fucntions such as Next, Previous, vol up and down etc, but its a mouse! I might HAVE to mod it and attach a clip onto it so i can wear it lol! But even then i ran out of buttons for functions like shuffle on/off etc.

But the problem with logitech's setpoint software anyway is its so unpredictable with its configuration for its devices. I have 3 logitech mice, and they all vary in what you can and cannot assign to their fucntions :S
Besides configuring a mouse is not my ideal scenario anyway.

Am i going to be forced to buy an archos 32 or 43 and run an app on it? Seems alot of money to spend for what i want :/

Please people, any ideas?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-17-2011, 06:39 PM
Ultra Senior Member

summin like this http://usb.brando.com/usb-2-4ghz-wir...2c037d015.html but its out of stock forever.

Old 09-17-2011, 06:43 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

This is not a remote control but I'm wondering if the Razer Naga will fill the bill. It's wireless, has 17 programmable buttons, and you can walk around the house with it being it's wirelesses. It's just a suggestion, and not sure if this would be a good compromise for you, so I figured I'll throw it out there just in case.

Old 09-17-2011, 07:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

$110...

Old 09-17-2011, 07:35 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I appreciate the suggestion, this http://www.logitech.com/en-us/mice-p...ing-mouse-g700 pretty much doing same thing.

I want this http://usb.brando.com/usb-computer-r...840c35d15.html but a GOOD one lol. PS I tried this and threw it in the bin after 5mins lol.

Old 09-18-2011, 02:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I've decided to buy an itouch (eventually one day when money allows). It will allow me to do two things that are important for me.

1) run this plugin http://wintense.com/plugins/foo_touchremote and control foobar playing on my pc (wirelessly) and act as a central remote control for music on my pc.
2) it will take the APT-X Bluetooth dongle that will stream hq music from the player to the Creative line of bluetooth speakers I have in my house.
3) Run's Internet Radio.

It's an expensive remote but then more value that Logitech's HArmony remote controllers :/

Anyway, now that I will own TWO Apple products (I have ipad2 as well) I'm starting to feel very dirty and need to go clean myself.

PS Anyone know the best place to buy an itouch?

Old 09-18-2011, 03:06 PM

Not a bad decision, I use my Iphone as a remote control for VLC, Winamp, PowerDVD, MPC and a few other programs and it works great and since it connects via my WLAN I can use it all over the flat.

Pixmania seems to have the Ipod Touch for a good price:

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/6885...ffiliatewindow

Old 09-18-2011, 03:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I would never buy an 8GB Touch. It's not that much more money to go up to the 32GB and the extra storage is well worth it. When I bought mine in January it was a jump in price from $225 to $275 (US dollars). Another hundred would have got me the 64GB but I was impatient and didn't want to wait the extra couple of weeks to save the money...lol.

Old 09-18-2011, 03:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yes i fear I would need 32-64gb minimum :S

Old 09-18-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBanner View Post
Yes i fear I would need 32-64gb minimum :S
Well in that case:

32 GB

64 GB

Old 09-18-2011, 03:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeh thanx for that, not much cheaper than buying from apple store online. Could at least get mine engraved with HULK SMASH STUPID APPLE! or summin or other.

Old 09-18-2011, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
I would never buy an 8GB Touch. It's not that much more money to go up to the 32GB and the extra storage is well worth it. When I bought mine in January it was a jump in price from $225 to $275 (US dollars). Another hundred would have got me the 64GB but I was impatient and didn't want to wait the extra couple of weeks to save the money...lol.
Neither would I, my first Apple product was the Iphone 3GS with 32 GB. Makes for an excellent remote.

Old 09-18-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Yeh thanx for that, not much cheaper than buying from apple store online. Could at least get mine engraved with HULK SMASH STUPID APPLE! or summin or other.
32 GB: 215 pounds vs 254 in the Apple store or are you seeing other prices?

Old 09-18-2011, 04:03 PM
Ultra Senior Member

ah i live in oz, $350AUD for the 32gb.

Old 09-18-2011, 05:15 PM

Ah sorry, because you asked about stores in the UK on the other thread I assumed that's where you are right now.

Old 09-18-2011, 08:34 PM
Ultra Senior Member

You could potentially get an older one, if you wanted to save the money, right? IIRC, going back to the 3G doesn't lose much functionality, besides a camera.

Old 09-18-2011, 11:35 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I wonder how these would work for you

http://remotedroid.net/

https://market.android.com/details?i...d.vlcremote_us

If they did you could get a cheap android player

Old 09-19-2011, 12:06 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Could at least get mine engraved with HULK SMASHSTUPID APPLE!
Or ABI.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:39 PM
Redneck Moderator

You could get one of those mini Lenovo keyboards, they've got play/pause and skip and that. and a mouse and a keyboard on them. They have a backlit and a non-backlit version. Sometimes you can find coupons which bring the backlit version down to around 40USD shipped.

Ruger M77 , Howa 1500 , Czech Republic 452-2E
Ruger .22 Single Six, Springfield Armory XD-9 , Springfield Armory XD45ACP
2007 Elite Archery Synergy

Gamo CFX, Gamo PT80
Large Rock

Need your headphones fixed or something soldered? Syndrome's Soldering Service

Old 09-21-2011, 08:09 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgb52 View Post
If they did you could get a cheap android player
Yes that's an option, anyone know of a cheap android player/device? Could be a phone or mp3 player?

At the moment I own a rockboxed Sansaclip+ which i am MORE than happy with for my audio needs, until the clipzip is rockboxed i won't buy that as i know what'll happen. I'll love the lcd screen of the clipzip and seeing my album art, but then it wont have the functionality of my current sansaclip+ so i'll just bung the zip in the drawer lol. I'll wait.
I've been looking at the Cowon D3 android player, could this be my remote? But it seems pretty expensive, what about Archos players?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
You could get one of those mini Lenovo keyboards, they've got play/pause and skip and that. and a mouse and a keyboard on them. They have a backlit and a non-backlit version. Sometimes you can find coupons which bring the backlit version down to around 40USD shipped.
I already have logitech's wireless numpad, bout same size as the mini lenovo keyboard, im looking for summin smaller, but thanx.