android
Old 09-10-2011, 04:27 PM

Default Creative Zen Vision:M 60GB (slim) HDD repair/replacement?

Hello everybody,

Recently my ZVM stopped working, it booted only in recovery mode and the hard disk was detected to be 50MB so I supposed the hard drive is dead...

I have a docking station and love this mp3, plus it is 60GB which apart from buying an ipod (and i don't want to..), i can't find anywhere... so i though i could maybe change the hard disk.
the easiest solution would have been to buy the original hard-disk, Seagate ST760211DE ST18 series, and replace the broken one. As the player is too old, I cannot find it and I've seen here possibilities to switch to compact flash, ssd or larger capacity hard drive.
I don't know a lot about repairing the player and learned a lot by reading threads here.
I do not have to upgrade the capacity or type, can any of you indicate me a solution, easy to do and not to expansive, in order to repair my ZVM?

I read some people put "160GB Toshiba MK1634GAL 5mm ZIF" (100 i have found) with apple logo on it but they said it works apart from getting a failed firmware update message but working player. Does the HDD fits in without many problems and is it the same connection type as the original?
If I only need to switch the hard drives, that doesn't seem too hard and the HDD is not very expansive, can anyone confirm that solution works and nothing else needs to be done (regarding hardware; of course once plugged, format disk from the zen and install firmware)?

would you recommend switching to compactflash or ssd? i have seen a 64GB CF card for around 150, haven't looked for ssd but i know they are quite expansive and even tough i like my ZVM, i don't have that much money to spend on it....

Sorry for writing so much, but normally all the details are here so you can tell me how to fix my zen

Thanks in advance for the help

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-17-2011, 08:42 AM

in the long run, I think a compact flash card replacement would be a better alternative, as hard drives tend to break down after a few years of use, or if you drop your ZVM there goes your 150 euro.

this is the thread for replacing the hard drive with compact flash
http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33193

or if you're adventurous, you can replace the hard drive with a Solid State Drive.
http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60796

I hope the info helps. good luck on your ZVM

Old 09-22-2011, 05:33 PM

First of all, thanks for your answer.

I though about replacing the hard drive with a compact flash but if i want to keep the capacity i have to buy a 64gb so i though i should try cheaper alternatives and the ssd option seemed more expansive to me... i have found the hard drive somewhere and if it doesn't work with my zen, i can simply be refunded in which case i would try going to a cf.
i know hard drives are more sensible but i mostly use my zen on it's docking station now so i don't think the hard drive will be damaged much and if after a few years the new hard drive breaks, i know i can switch to cf.
can you recommend me what zif-cf connector to get and wether or not different types of compact flash card matter (reading and writing speed?)

oh and i almost forgot, you seem to know what you're talking about, what is the advantage of switching to SSD compared with compact flash?

thanks again for your answer, i'm glad i got one and the ZVM is a old player

Old 11-11-2011, 12:46 PM

there shouldn't be that much of a difference since compact flash and SSDs are both flash memory types. The only difference In my opinion is that the SSD directly connects to the ZVM while you need a compact flash to ZIF (Zero Insersion Force) adapter so you can connect the compact flash to the ZIF connector of the ZVM.

I haven't tried this out yet as I still don't have a ZVM of my own, but hopefully that will change this month or on december. I'm planning to either buy a ZVM and mod it once I get a good-paying job once I graduate.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikkun View Post
or if you're adventurous, you can replace the hard drive with a Solid State Drive.
http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60796
I'm trying to get an SSD to work in my Zen. Literally, right now I'm trying to make it happen. Follow the above thread to find out if I am successful!

I think it's great that one person was able to make it happen, but without comfirmed compatability, I think you are better off leaving it broken.

Old 04-03-2012, 04:36 AM

Hi,

Late reply but I have finally repaired my ZVM.

I have decided to stick with a HDD since it seemed easier and cheaper to replace than with a SSD. I mostly use my ZVM on my docking station or sometimes with my headphones but not moving very much so the hard drive should have a good life expectancy.

I bought a Toshiba MK1634GAL with 160GB capacity, the player can only use 128GB of it (I read it on a thread hear before) which is still better than 60GB. It cost me around 100 from ebay and all I did was unplug the old one, plus this one, format it and re-install the firmware (the installation said it failed but the player works fine).

Only thing I have noticed, I think it is faster to turn on but a bit longer to shut down (takes a few seconds more so it's not a problem).

Thanks to those who helped!

Tags
broken, repair, replace hdd, zvm