android
Old 10-29-2011, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck35 View Post
I will give these suggestions a try. One thing I have found is that if I use Windows Media Player to sync to the internal 4GB memory slot the playlists work fine. But when I try to sync music to my external memory card, no playlists show up. Any idea why this would be? It sort of makes it a waste of a 32 GB memory card.
I don't think playlists will work when they are stored on the card. However, if you have the Zip Clip mounted in MTP mode and you have just transferred a playlist to the card, immediately open the player via My Computer and copy/move the .pla playlist file to the main storage. It should then work just fine. Note that if you unmount the player at this point it'll mess up the playlist on the card so you have to be sure to copy it immediately after creating it.

As someone who actually owns a Clip Zip I thought I'd offer some real-world experience and not speculation. Note that I don't own any other Sansa products but it is clear to me that the Clip Zip works differently than most others.

I wrote to Sandisk support to ask about m3u playlist support and they directed me to this page:

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/224

The page is not specific to the Clip Zip. If it were, it would list these two caveats:

1) This will absolutely not work in MSC mode, only MTP.
2) The Zip Clip will not find songs recursively.
3) The "n\" prefix to each line is not necessary.

Yes, that's three. The last one is not a caveat, just a tip.

Armed with this information, I got this to work. However, mostly because of #2, it makes this type of playlist nearly completely useless. I've tried many different combinations of absolute path, relative path, backslashes and forward slashes but the playlist will never look for files outside of the directory it is in. However, it will work if you store both the songs and the playilst in a deeper directory.

I would like to reiterate that this will absolutely not work in MSC mode. I won't pretend to know the technical differences between MSC and MTP but it seems that any type of playlist will only work when transferred in MTP mode.

These limitations make m3u playlists close to useless for me so I've been using Rhythmbox (Oh! Exposed as a Linux nerd!) in MTP mode to transfer playlists.

One last note is that in MSC mode, some apps will pretend like they are copying the playlist to the Clip Zip but will just copy the music files. I know that some people on this thread were experiencing this. Just be sure you're transferring playlists in MTP mode.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by skip252; 10-29-2011 at 02:09 AM. Reason: Posts merged. Please edit your original post in the future

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-21-2011, 04:15 PM

I am having similar problems; looking for some advice/help:
my Sansa ClipZip uses firmware V01.01.17A
I loaded music files into internal memory in MSC mode
I created an .m3u playlist with WINAMP as described in this thread:
  1. Drag files from the Clip into Winamp's playlist editor
  2. Arrange the playlist as desired
  3. Save the playlist to the Clip's MUSIC folder.
The WINAMP does recognize the ClipZip and allows me to drag music files from its internal memory to WINAMP playlist editor. However, when I save the created playlist back to the ClipZip, MUSIC folder, the playlist does not show anywhere in my ClipZip. I tried to save the playlist into root directory, or into a folder along with other music files, but no luck. I can see the .m3u playlist files when I connect the ClipZip to my PC and look at the files in Windows Explorer.
Please help

Old 11-21-2011, 05:10 PM
Administrator

I think the help needs to come from Sandisk in the form of a firmware update that fixes what the newer ones broke. They worked in the first firmware. After that they just died.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
I experimented some with this and it seems the firmwares past 01.01.12 break all playlists that aren't created with files transferred in MTP. They just get ignored during the database refresh. Maybe there's something obvious I'm missing but with it working with one firmware and not the next I don't believe I am.

The same playlists that work in 01.01.12 break after a firmware update. Recreating the playlists with files transferred in MSC after the firmware update doesn't help. I've no idea if this is expected behavior or an unintended side effect of fixing some other issue.

I can't say I care very much because Rockbox handles .m3u playlists in the same excellent way as always. For someone trying to use MSC and have playlists in the OF this would seem to be a deal breaker. I wonder how the heck the Mac and Linux users are going to have full functionality if this is what it seems to be.

I'll experiment around if I get interested in this again but from what I see so far it seems the fix would need to come from a firmware update.
What you did to create playlists has worked in the past with other Sandisk players. That was the method I used to make playlist that worked using the first firmware issued. It's just strange that it stopped with the newer firmwares.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:00 AM

Default Playlists work!

Thank you, skip252, for advice. The playlists now work! I went to a SANDISK website:
http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Clip-Zi...12/td-p/242646
and downloaded and installed the older (original?) firmware 01.01.12 in my ClipZip instead of the latest version 01.01.17. Now I can create playlists in WINAMP and I can see them in ClipZip PLAYLIST folder. The older firmware may lack some new functionality, but as I am using the ClipZip only for basic music playing, I don't see any difference.
Some observations: The playlists work for songs from internal as well as external memory (SD card) and work even for songs from subfolders. All playlists (for internal, or external memory) show up in the same ClipZip PLAYLISTS folder. What does not work is any playlist that includes songs from both internal and external memory. Such playlist shows in PLAYLISTS folder, but always shows as "empty".
One additional question: When I copied my music library into the ClipZip, a few folders simply don't show in the ClipZip, even though I can see them in Windows Explorer. This happens in both the internal memory and in the SD card. Some of these missing folders contain large .MP3 files (more than 100Mb), but not always. I don't see any obvious similarity between these missing folders that would indicate why they don't show. Could it have something to do with folder names? Again, I can't see anything obvious. As these do show in Windows Explorer, songs from these missing folders can be included in playlists created in WINAMP, but then, in a ClipZip playlist, these songs are missing.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:44 AM
Administrator

No idea on the really large mp3s not showing on the Clip Zip menu. I don't have any single files that large. It would seem they should show up if everything was transferred in the same USB mode. Just looking at the firmware on the CZ so far I'd say they still have a long way to go before it's fully usable. That might be one of the issues they still need to address.

This is about playlists so I won't go into the problems I've experienced with AAC files. I'll just say AAC on the CZ ain't ready for primetime.

Combined playlist don't work on Sandisk products reliably. I tried video4fuze in the 01.01.12 firmware and it created working .pla playlists. video4fuze works with files transferred in MSC mode to create ,pla playlists. It still created them with firmwares past 01.01.12, they just aren't found after the database refresh no matter where I stored them.

video4fuze is very much YMMV software. I know those that say it doesn't work for them but it has worked reliably for me creating combined .pla playlists on the Fuze and Clip+

The combined .pla playlists had the same problems with the CZ as all the other Sandisk products it works on. A database refresh would usually break the playlist. If they worked at all after a refresh it would only show the files on the drive that held the .pla playlist.

Dealing with the playlist shortcomings of the OF wasn't worth the extra effort for me. Rockbox just kicks butt when it come to playlists so I haven't spent much time experimenting in the OF.

Old 12-04-2011, 06:35 AM

My Clip V2 had Problems with and in any playlists. It shows ANSI playlists, containing these characters but single songs/entries that actually used these characters were missing inside the playlist. Switching to UTF-8 with signature had the effect that the playlist still showed up in the menu but it was completely emtpy. Seems that the player can't read these signatures at all. Switching from UTF8 with signature to UTF8 without signature finally worked and proofed to be the only working option.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:46 AM
Administrator

I can't see how this could be a matter of the encoding of the tags. All my mp3s I use on my Sansas are encoded ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1 with Mp3Tag. With the firmware 01.01.12 .m3u playlists created with those files work. They break, if shown at all, with subsequent firmwares. That would indicate the problem is with the firmware not the files.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:37 PM

I am also unable to view playlists created in MSC mode with the current (v01.01.18) firmware.
I installed 01.01.12 and all is well.

Whether or not this a bug or a "feature" is unknown.
Customer service seems to think it should be possible to create a playlist and gives basic non-working examples on how to do so.. I vote bug.

Old 12-29-2011, 01:31 PM
Administrator

It's a bug. Features don't remove functionality so I wouldn't call it unknown if it's that or a bug.

I'm not holding my breath waiting on a fix at this point. I don't see it on the list of known issues so it seems Sandisk is playing the "head in the sand" routine they did with the Fuze+. No way with the number of posts on their forum and here they could not know this is an issue.

They've surprised me in the past by fixing a feature that wasn't on the known issues list. It hasn't happened enough where I would advise anyone to buy one that prefers MSC transfer and .m3u playlists to get one. Not everyone wants to deal with Rockbox to simply create a playlist.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:15 PM

Cool I think I figured it out!

Guys, I think I figured this out. I got an .m3u playlist to work properly! Before we get excited, though we need confirmation if it works on someone else's Zip as well, or if it's just a coincidence.

Here's what I did exactly. Someone play around with the steps, see if we need to do that exactly or if we can simplify it:
1. Downgrade to 1.1.12
2. Switched to MSC mode
3. Used WMP to sync files to Zip as a "storage unit/flash drive"--I hate having an unorganized folder list, so now my songs are nicely organized. Here, you might be able to just dump them in MUSIC and use those addressed instead: see below.
4. Write an .m3u file--I used foobar2000, just dragged the .mp3 files from the MUSIC folder into a playlist there and saved it as an .m3u. Original code below.
Code:
G:\MUSIC\Derpy Hooves and Silva Hound\Unknown album\Expensive Taste.mp3
G:\MUSIC\RainbowCrash88\8-Bit Brony\Art Of The Dress (8-Bit).mp3
G:\MUSIC\RainbowCrash88\8-Bit Brony\At The Gala (8-Bit).mp3
G:\MUSIC\RainbowCrash88\8-Bit Brony\Becoming Popular (8-Bit).mp3
G:\MUSIC\RainbowCrash88\8-Bit Brony\Cupcakes (8-Bit).mp3
G:\MUSIC\RainbowCrash88\8-Bit Brony\Find a Pet (8-Bit - No Chat).mp3
G:\MUSIC\RainbowCrash88\8-Bit Brony\Friendship is Magic Theme (8-Bit).mp3
G:\MUSIC\RainbowCrash88\8-Bit Brony\Hush Now, Quiet Now (8-Bit).mp3
G:\MUSIC\RainbowCrash88\8-Bit Brony\Pinkies Parasprite Polka (8-Bit).mp3
G:\MUSIC\RainbowCrash88\8-Bit Brony\Pinkies Singing Telegram (8-Bit).mp3
G:\MUSIC\RainbowCrash88\8-Bit Brony\Winter Wrap Up (8-Bit).mp3
G:\MUSIC\RainbowCrash88\Fighting is Magic\RainbowCrash88 - Applejack Theme (Fade) (Mane6 Fighting is Magic).mp3
G:\MUSIC\RainbowCrash88\Fighting is Magic\RainbowCrash88 - Twilight Sparkle Theme (Fade) (Mane6 Fighting is Magic).mp3
5. Edit the .m3u file--See code below.
Code:
#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:277,Derpy Hooves and Silva Hound - Expensive Taste
MUSIC\Derpy Hooves and Silva Hound\Unknown album\Expensive Taste.mp3
#EXTINF:253,RainbowCrash88 - Art of the Dress (8-Bit)
MUSIC\RainbowCrash88\8-Bit Brony\Art Of The Dress (8-Bit).mp3
#EXTINF:199,RainbowCrash88 - At The Gala (8-Bit)
MUSIC\RainbowCrash88\8-Bit Brony\At The Gala (8-Bit).mp3
#EXTINF:112,RainbowCrash88 - Becoming Popular (8-Bit)
MUSIC\RainbowCrash88\8-Bit Brony\Becoming Popular (8-Bit).mp3
#EXTINF:27,RainbowCrash88 - Cupcakes (8-Bit)
MUSIC\RainbowCrash88\8-Bit Brony\Cupcakes (8-Bit).mp3
#EXTINF:221,RainbowCrash88 - Find a Pet (8-Bit)
MUSIC\RainbowCrash88\8-Bit Brony\Find a Pet (8-Bit - No Chat).mp3
#EXTINF:33,RainbowCrash88 - Friendship is Magic Theme (8-Bit)
MUSIC\RainbowCrash88\8-Bit Brony\Friendship is Magic Theme (8-Bit).mp3
#EXTINF:44,RainbowCrash88 - Hush Now Quiet Now (8-Bit)
MUSIC\RainbowCrash88\8-Bit Brony\Hush Now, Quiet Now (8-Bit).mp3
#EXTINF:90,RainbowCrash88 - Pinkies Parasprite Polka (8-Bit)
MUSIC\RainbowCrash88\8-Bit Brony\Pinkies Parasprite Polka (8-Bit).mp3
#EXTINF:40,RainbowCrash88 - Pinkies Singing Telegram (8-Bit)
MUSIC\RainbowCrash88\8-Bit Brony\Pinkies Singing Telegram (8-Bit).mp3
#EXTINF:197,RainbowCrash88 - Winter Wrap Up (8-Bit)
MUSIC\RainbowCrash88\8-Bit Brony\Winter Wrap Up (8-Bit).mp3
#EXTINF:203,RainbowCrash88 - Applejack Theme
MUSIC\RainbowCrash88\Fighting is Magic\RainbowCrash88 - Applejack Theme (Fade) (Mane6 Fighting is Magic).mp3
#EXTINF:166,RainbowCrash88 - Twilight Sparkle
MUSIC\RainbowCrash88\Fighting is Magic\RainbowCrash88 - Twilight Sparkle Theme (Fade) (Mane6 Fighting is Magic).mp3
6. Drop the .m3u file into the root folder of the Zip--In my case, G:\. Not the MUSIC folder, not the Playlists folder (there shouldn't be one), the root.
7. Cross your fingers and hope

So someone else try it, see if it works. I have homework to do so I'll leave it up here.

Last edited by Imaginarydud; 02-01-2012 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Adding original code

Old 02-02-2012, 02:51 AM
Administrator

This really doesn't fix anything. It's been known for a while that properly formed .m3u playlists work with the 01.01.12 firmware.
Quote:
I experimented some with this and it seems the firmwares past 01.01.12 break all playlists that aren't created with files transferred in MTP. They just get ignored during the database refresh. Maybe there's something obvious I'm missing but with it working with one firmware and not the next I don't believe I am.

The same playlists that work in 01.01.12 break after a firmware update. Recreating the playlists with files transferred in MSC after the firmware update doesn't help. I've no idea if this is expected behavior or an unintended side effect of fixing some other issue.

I can't say I care very much because Rockbox handles .m3u playlists in the same excellent way as always. For someone trying to use MSC and have playlists in the OF this would seem to be a deal breaker. I wonder how the heck the Mac and Linux users are going to have full functionality if this is what it seems to be.

I'll experiment around if I get interested in this again but from what I see so far it seems the fix would need to come from a firmware update.
The need for a fix in a sandisk firmware update still exists. There's no good reason anyone should retreat to a firmware with the flaws of the original to have working .m3u playlists. No one should have to deal with random static noises, loss of RDS function, the ability to use some memory cards or any of the other fixes that have been implemented to have playlists that work.

Old 02-04-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaginarydud View Post
Guys, I think I figured this out. I got an .m3u playlist to work properly! Before we get excited, though we need confirmation if it works on someone else's Zip as well, or if it's just a coincidence.

Here's what I did exactly. Someone play around with the steps, see if we need to do that exactly or if we can simplify it:
1. Downgrade to 1.1.12
2. Switched to MSC mode
3. Used WMP to sync files to Zip as a "storage unit/flash drive"--I hate having an unorganized folder list, so now my songs are nicely organized. Here, you might be able to just dump them in MUSIC and use those addressed instead: see below.
4. Write an .m3u file--I used foobar2000, just dragged the .mp3 files from the MUSIC folder into a playlist there and saved it as an .m3u. Original code below.
Code:
G:\MUSIC\Derpy Hooves and Silva Hound\Unknown album\Expensive Taste.mp3
G:\MUSIC\RainbowCrash88\8-Bit Brony\Art Of The Dress (8-Bit).mp3
G:\MUSIC\RainbowCrash88\8-Bit Brony\At The Gala (8-Bit).mp3
G:\MUSIC\RainbowCrash88\8-Bit Brony\Becoming Popular (8-Bit).mp3
G:\MUSIC\RainbowCrash88\8-Bit Brony\Cupcakes (8-Bit).mp3
G:\MUSIC\RainbowCrash88\8-Bit Brony\Find a Pet (8-Bit - No Chat).mp3
G:\MUSIC\RainbowCrash88\8-Bit Brony\Friendship is Magic Theme (8-Bit).mp3
G:\MUSIC\RainbowCrash88\8-Bit Brony\Hush Now, Quiet Now (8-Bit).mp3
G:\MUSIC\RainbowCrash88\8-Bit Brony\Pinkies Parasprite Polka (8-Bit).mp3
G:\MUSIC\RainbowCrash88\8-Bit Brony\Pinkies Singing Telegram (8-Bit).mp3
G:\MUSIC\RainbowCrash88\8-Bit Brony\Winter Wrap Up (8-Bit).mp3
G:\MUSIC\RainbowCrash88\Fighting is Magic\RainbowCrash88 - Applejack Theme (Fade) (Mane6 Fighting is Magic).mp3
G:\MUSIC\RainbowCrash88\Fighting is Magic\RainbowCrash88 - Twilight Sparkle Theme (Fade) (Mane6 Fighting is Magic).mp3
5. Edit the .m3u file--See code below.
Code:
#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:277,Derpy Hooves and Silva Hound - Expensive Taste
MUSIC\Derpy Hooves and Silva Hound\Unknown album\Expensive Taste.mp3
#EXTINF:253,RainbowCrash88 - Art of the Dress (8-Bit)
MUSIC\RainbowCrash88\8-Bit Brony\Art Of The Dress (8-Bit).mp3
#EXTINF:199,RainbowCrash88 - At The Gala (8-Bit)
MUSIC\RainbowCrash88\8-Bit Brony\At The Gala (8-Bit).mp3
#EXTINF:112,RainbowCrash88 - Becoming Popular (8-Bit)
MUSIC\RainbowCrash88\8-Bit Brony\Becoming Popular (8-Bit).mp3
#EXTINF:27,RainbowCrash88 - Cupcakes (8-Bit)
MUSIC\RainbowCrash88\8-Bit Brony\Cupcakes (8-Bit).mp3
#EXTINF:221,RainbowCrash88 - Find a Pet (8-Bit)
MUSIC\RainbowCrash88\8-Bit Brony\Find a Pet (8-Bit - No Chat).mp3
#EXTINF:33,RainbowCrash88 - Friendship is Magic Theme (8-Bit)
MUSIC\RainbowCrash88\8-Bit Brony\Friendship is Magic Theme (8-Bit).mp3
#EXTINF:44,RainbowCrash88 - Hush Now Quiet Now (8-Bit)
MUSIC\RainbowCrash88\8-Bit Brony\Hush Now, Quiet Now (8-Bit).mp3
#EXTINF:90,RainbowCrash88 - Pinkies Parasprite Polka (8-Bit)
MUSIC\RainbowCrash88\8-Bit Brony\Pinkies Parasprite Polka (8-Bit).mp3
#EXTINF:40,RainbowCrash88 - Pinkies Singing Telegram (8-Bit)
MUSIC\RainbowCrash88\8-Bit Brony\Pinkies Singing Telegram (8-Bit).mp3
#EXTINF:197,RainbowCrash88 - Winter Wrap Up (8-Bit)
MUSIC\RainbowCrash88\8-Bit Brony\Winter Wrap Up (8-Bit).mp3
#EXTINF:203,RainbowCrash88 - Applejack Theme
MUSIC\RainbowCrash88\Fighting is Magic\RainbowCrash88 - Applejack Theme (Fade) (Mane6 Fighting is Magic).mp3
#EXTINF:166,RainbowCrash88 - Twilight Sparkle
MUSIC\RainbowCrash88\Fighting is Magic\RainbowCrash88 - Twilight Sparkle Theme (Fade) (Mane6 Fighting is Magic).mp3
6. Drop the .m3u file into the root folder of the Zip--In my case, G:\. Not the MUSIC folder, not the Playlists folder (there shouldn't be one), the root.
7. Cross your fingers and hope

So someone else try it, see if it works. I have homework to do so I'll leave it up here.
I do this and it seems to work for my Clip Zip with either format (with and without the #EXTINF: or whatever)

BUTT.

It keeps missing a few of my files. I'll navigate to look for a few certain songs and it's always the same artist that's missing. If I check in the playlist directory through txt, it shows up perfectly fine but if I try to play it on my Clip Zip it's missing in the playlist.

It's kind of odd because the same artist shows up when I navigate to the songs regularly showing all of the songs I have (or by searching to album) but the songs don't show up in the playlist. Pretty frustrating :\

EDIT: Read that rockboxing the thing should fix it... Going to try, will report if it fixes.

Last edited by B-Wong; 02-04-2012 at 06:07 PM.

Old 02-04-2012, 06:12 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Wong View Post
EDIT: Read that rockboxing the thing should fix it... Going to try, will report if it fixes.
Rockbox doesn't fix broken .m3u playlists in the OF. It works very well making playlists that it uses but the playlists it makes don't work in the sandisk firmware any more than ones made with an external playlist maker like foobar2000 or Winamp.

Old 02-04-2012, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Rockbox doesn't fix broken .m3u playlists in the OF. It works very well making playlists that it uses but the playlists it makes don't work in the sandisk firmware any more than ones made with an external playlist maker like foobar2000 or Winamp.
Well I just rockboxed it and it fixed the missing files in the playlist. Not sure what would be causing this but hey, whatever works I guess.

Old 02-04-2012, 07:17 PM
Administrator

Can you expand on that? Are you saying the playlists work in Rockbox or the OF? You seem to be saying that installing Rockbox causes playlists in the OF to function properly. Or are you saying that the missing artists now appear when the playlists are used in Rockbox? If they are working in Rockbox are the playlists made from the contents of a single or both memories?

If you're saying that Rockbox fixes playlists in the OF that's going to be difficult to understand without some type of workflow that others can follow up on. Rockbox shouldn't change how playlists are written or read by the OF. It certainly shouldn't write anything to them without you directing it to.

Last edited by skip252; 02-04-2012 at 07:42 PM.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:59 PM

Default Imaginarydud solved it

(UPDATE: Now I see that the m3u file is irrelevant. Any folder in MUSIC will show up in the Zip under folders. So I'm sorting my mp3s into folders and essentially using that as a workaround to playlists. That works for me, sort of - but I can't create a playlist that includes tracks from multiple folders unless I rearrange or duplicate the actual mp3 files on the zip.)

Thank you, Imaginarydud. Finally a solution to making playlists using MSC. I spent hours fiddling around with ideas on other forums but dud's method was only one that wasn't a dud for me. (Of course, this still doesn't solve problem of not having playlists on the external card.)

I grouped my mp3 into separate folders under MUSIC and used Winamp to create the m3u. I made sure the m3u file included the path MUSIC/<the specific folder name>/<the mp3 filename>.

I put the m3u files right in the same folders as the mp3s. I see the individual playlists show up in the Zip as folders (Music > Folders > Internal > MUSIC > individual playlists)

Last edited by HenryF5400; 03-24-2012 at 01:28 PM.

Old 03-24-2012, 01:09 AM
Administrator

It's solved! It's finally solved! And such a solution! So elegantly simple I'm surprised that everyone that wants m3u playlists doesn't instantly adopt this solution!

All you have to do is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaginarydud View Post
1. Downgrade to 1.1.12
Who cares that it's a outdated, broken firmware? You can have playlist!

All you have to do is be willing to live with random blasts of static, various freezes, lesser AAC and microsdhc compatibility, working RDS and a good 15- 20 other enhancements. Anyone willing to live with those minor inconveniences can have .m3u playlists! That's certainly not too much to sacrifice to have a feature that's been a essential part of sandisk players before now is it?

You'll forgive me if I don't think of losing those enhancements for working .m3u playlists as "solving" anything. The solution will come if sandisk ever gets the finger out and stops trying to call the lack of working .m3u playlists a feature or part of the design. It's a bug plain and simple.

Last edited by skip252; 03-24-2012 at 08:06 AM.

Old 03-24-2012, 01:29 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
The solution will come if sandisk ever gets the finger out and stops trying to call the lack of working .m3u playlists a feature or part of the design. It's a bug plain and simple.
I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. I think the MP3 player division of the overall SanDisk conglomerate is probably under-staffed and under-funded, at least as far as firmware coders.

They've had a nice run of producing good hardware, from e200V2, to Fuze/Clip, to Clip+, to Clip Zip(with the notable exception of the Fuze+) but clearly not the greatest firmware....we've seen how much more capability Rockbox delivers from the same hardware.

Who knows what we can expect from them this fall, when the Fuze+ is due for a refresh/replacement?

Old 03-24-2012, 07:46 AM
Administrator

Hope that didn't come across as a rant, Marv. I'm under no illusions about if/when when this ever gets fixed. My post is there to make sure anyone deciding to use this "solution" knows that downgrading the firmware causes a fairly severe loss of function in other areas.

If they know that and decide working .m3u playlists are important enough to not have the benefits of the newer firmwares that's up to them. It's just not accurate to post that there's a solution without noting the solution has some serious flaws.

Old 03-24-2012, 08:00 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Hope that didn't come across as a rant, Marv. I'm under no illusions about if/when when this ever gets fixed. My post is there to make sure anyone deciding to use this "solution" knows that downgrading the firmware causes a fairly severe loss of function in other areas.

If they know that and decide working .m3u playlists are important enough to not have the benefits of the newer firmwares that's up to them. It's just not accurate to post that there's a solution without noting the solution has some serious flaws.
No, I didn't take it that way.
My post certainly could be construed as a minor rant though.