android
Old 09-08-2011, 12:38 AM

Default Playlists on Clip Zip

I just got the new Clip Zip 4GB and while I love the player itself I am tearing my hair out trying to get playlists onto it. I went through the sticky at the top of the page but it obviously didn't fix my problem and it seems to be closed anyways.
So far I have tried using Winamp, MediaMonkey and Windows Media Player for syncing but I just can't get the playlists to work.
In Winamp I have a play list made up and I right click and "send to" and it sends the actual music to the player but when I check the playlists on the player all I see is the infuriating "Go List". I have tried syncing the files to the computer and then copying the playlist M3U file to the playlist folder where it shows up on the player as an empty playlist.
In Windows media player I get the same result where I sync a playlist and the music is transferred but the playlist itself doesn't show up in the playlist folder. Once I was able to get a "test" playlist to show up (a short 3 song list) but after that I wasn't able to replicate how I had done it.
I've also tried changing to MSC and dragging and dropping files onto my external SD card and then copying the playlist into that folder itself but still nothing!

What is the current solution to this? If someone could explain step by step what I should be doing I would really appreciate it. At this point I'm ready to just give up and use folders instead of playlists even though that is a bit of a pain.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-08-2011, 01:27 AM
Administrator

Welcome to ABi

I don't have one but making playlists on every other Sansa I have has followed one of two patterns

M3U in MSC mode
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinjob View Post
FreeZ5 is right, but I'll expand a little bit:
  1. Drag files from the Clip into Winamp's playlist editor
  2. Arrange the playlist as desired
  3. Save the playlist to the Clip's MUSIC folder.
  4. If you later want to edit the playlist, drag the m3u file from the Clip into Winamp's playlist editor and repeat steps 1-3, overwriting the original m3u
This assumes you are using MSC mode and added all your files under MSC mode. If not, you'll want to format the Clip, switch to MSC mode and reload all your files.

FYI, there is no Playlist folder in MSC mode (and it won't work if you create one). Make sure you save the playlist to the MUSIC folder.
.PLA in MTP mode
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
While browsing your MP3 player in Windows Explorer, you can create playlists while your MP3 player is in MTP mode:

1. Highlight all of the music files, folders, or files and folders on your MP3 player that you want in the playlist.
2. Right click on one of the highlighted files.
3. Select Create Playlist.
4. Give the playlist a name.
5. Move the playlist into the Playlists folder.

A media player you guys may want to check out is J. River Media Jukebox 12. One can create playlists with it so that the playlists refer only to music that is already on your MP3 player. No duplicate files are transferred over. You guys might find it useful for MP3 players that do not have on-the-go playlists. Sony, I am looking at you.
If you open out to either one of those threads you'll see much more on playlist creation. I have those two bookmarked because they have a clear set of instructions but there are quite a few others. The one with the MTP instructions should have a couple of posts in it by lestatar on how to use Winamp to use the files all ready on the player to make playlists.

One thing you have to be careful about. Which USB mode the files are transferred with is key. Trying to use the instructions for files transferred in one mode to create playlists with files transferred in the other mode won't work.

Hope one of the two methods works for you. No guaranteeing the methods that work on other players will work on the Zip but it would seem that they would.

Old 09-08-2011, 01:37 AM

EDIT: I forget to mention, I'm only doing all this in MSC mode. I rather not use WMP to manage my stuff...

I've ran into the same issue, I've followed the guides skip252 referred to--no such luck.

Here is a copy of the thread I've made on the SanDisk forums:

Quote:
I have an AutoPlaylist in foobar2000 called "Top Rated"
  1. Saved that playlist as an M3U8 file (some tracks have non-ANSI characters in them)
  2. Opened in Notepad and replaced the full path names to relative ones (e.g. "C:\User\Music" became "MUSIC\")
  3. Placed the newly created file "toprated.m3u8" in the root of the Clip Zip drive
It worked! Alas, it was the only playlist that would work. I couldn't add any more. I've tried:
  • Renaming the playlist file extension to .m3u
  • Changing the text encoding to ANSI or UTF8 (with and without the signature)
  • Using Mp3Tag or Notepad to create playlist
  • Placing the playlist files in various folders (notably the MUSIC folder)
  • Reflashing and formatting the player
None of those options worked. Even stranger if I replaced contents of "toprated.m3u8" with the contents of a different playlist it disappear off the menu; but it's duplicate "toprated2.m3u8" would instead show up.
No reply yet on the SanDisk forum...

I've also tried creating a PLAYLIST folder and putting them in there, no dice. Some files had corrupted tags (causing a bug in the Artists list to go A, B, C, [block], [block], A, B C) so I removed everything sans a few good files--nothing.

I can only get that first playlist I've made to show up and no others....

Last edited by jerk44; 09-08-2011 at 01:58 AM. Reason: clarification

Old 09-08-2011, 02:18 AM
Administrator

Are you first transferring the files to the player and then having foobar2000 use the transferred files to create the Autoplaylist? Have you tried creating .m3u rather than .m3u8 playlists?

I've tried transferring the files and playlist to the player and correcting file paths with limited success. Working directly from the players with files from the player to create .m3u playlists has worked. Saving the created playlist to the same folder as where the music is has worked.

I'm not saying that any of this will or should work. It's entirely possible Sandisk has changed something so the old methods won't work any more. Just doing the usual troubleshooting using the old format.

Last edited by skip252; 09-08-2011 at 02:30 AM.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:48 AM

To skip252:

Yeah I've done all that, even using Mp3Tag to create a playlist identical to the handwritten ones I've already made; correct relative paths and all.

The M3U8 or M3U file extension doesn't matter to the player it seems, in regards to the one and only playlist I could get on it. (Just to note: M3U8 is just an M3U with an UTF8 signature; I have filenames with Japanese and Korean characters in them--without it non-ANSI characters appear with question marks..)

For example, this playlist doesn't even appear in the Playlist menu
Code:
#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:225,Poets Of The Fall - Late Goodbye
music\000 - Late Goodbye.mp3
#EXTINF:486,Macross Plus - Information High
music\000 - Information High.mp3
#EXTINF:537,Hatsune Miku - Unfragment
music\Hatsune Miku - Unfragment.mp3
Even if it remove those "#EXT" portions, no dice. I've saved it to the root of the Clip Zip ("I:\mp3tag.m3u")--nothing.. Each of those files exists

I'm not sure what's so different about my Top Rated playlist I've made, it appears and plays fine on my Clip Zip. It's about 8895 bytes (with the UTF8 header), contains no "#EXT" portions , each filename starts with "music\" followed by the filename (and some of the filenames have Japanese characters too!) and has a blank line at the end. With the exception of file size, I've intimated each of those attributes with other playlists to no avail. My Clip Zip refuses recognize them..

If it is a bug it sure is a hard one to grasp and workaround.....

Old 09-08-2011, 08:38 AM

I will give these suggestions a try. One thing I have found is that if I use Windows Media Player to sync to the internal 4GB memory slot the playlists work fine. But when I try to sync music to my external memory card, no playlists show up. Any idea why this would be? It sort of makes it a waste of a 32 GB memory card.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:43 AM

One problem that I have is that when the player is in MSC mode, it doesn't show up on Winamp. So how do I drag files from the Clip to Winamp? From Windows Explorer?

Old 09-08-2011, 11:05 AM
Administrator

My folder-file structure on my Clip+ is <drive letter>:\Music\Album\Artist\track# - title.

Using foobar2000 to create a .m3u or .m3u8 playlist that's stored in the Music folder I get
Code:
Bobby McFerrin\Circlesongs\01 - Circlesong 1.mp3
Bobby McFerrin\Circlesongs\02 - Circlesong 2.mp3
Bobby McFerrin\Circlesongs\03 - Circlesong 3.mp3
Bobby McFerrin\Circlesongs\04 - Circlesong 4.mp3
Same thing using Winamp to create a EXT.m3u playlist that's stored in the the root of the drive (trying to store it anywhere else breaks it)
Code:
#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:369,Bobby McFerrin - Circlesong 1
Bobby McFerrin\Circlesongs\01 - Circlesong 1.mp3
#EXTINF:250,Bobby McFerrin - Circlesong 2
Bobby McFerrin\Circlesongs\02 - Circlesong 2.mp3
#EXTINF:280,Bobby McFerrin - Circlesong 3
Bobby McFerrin\Circlesongs\03 - Circlesong 3.mp3
#EXTINF:267,Bobby McFerrin - Circlesong 4
Both of these work. They show up and play with no problems.

Once again, I don't have the Clip Zip and these wouldn't be guaranteed to work on one but this structure has worked on every other Sansa that I've had to date. It'll be interesting to find if Sandisk has changed things so this no longer works.

I can't say why your Clip Zip doesn't appear in Winamp. My older players take a few minutes to show up in the Portables menu but they do eventually show. I wonder if it has anything to do with why some of the playlists don't show at all?

Has anyone tried simple drag and drop in MTP mode then using the "right-click, create playlist" method? Files transferred in MTP by WMP should respond to that also. As long as the transfer method was MTP. I understand if that's not what your interest is, just trying to see if any of the old reliables work.

Old 09-08-2011, 03:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck35 View Post
One problem that I have is that when the player is in MSC mode, it doesn't show up on Winamp. So how do I drag files from the Clip to Winamp? From Windows Explorer?
drag from Win Explorer and drop in Winamp probably works. Personally, I use right click in Win Explorer and then choose "Enqueue in Winamp".

Steve

Last edited by FreeZ5; 09-08-2011 at 03:52 PM.

Old 09-08-2011, 03:54 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
At this point I'm ready to just give up and use folders instead of playlists even though that is a bit of a pain.
That's what I would do. Maybe it is a pain to build the folders, but at least you don't have to stress over whether or not they will work. And you wouldn't need to worry about Winamp either.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:25 AM

skip252:
I've tried it your method and just removed the "MUSIC\" reference; no luck.

I did try MTP mode however.. and copied some different songs over into the Music folder. Then sorting the music folder by filesize I made two playlist "large" & "small." Selecting about 30 songs from the top and bottom of the sorted list I right clicked and selected "Create Playlist." After disconnecting the player and letting it refresh its library I saw the two playlists!

However...
These playlists must be the Playlist folder after you create them--while the player will recognize them if you've left them in the Music folder you'll notice quickly that the contents of those playlists in particular are duplicates of the last one you've made... (a quick Google search tells this is not unique behavior.. to the Clip+ anyway..)

---

It's kind of a deal breaker not having M3U support out of the box. Given how I sync everything I'd have to switch to Winamp or something that not only supports MTP natively but always can convert FLAC->MP3 on the fly when needed.

I'll have to make a decision on this later; still I'd thought post my experience on this for future reference..

Old 09-09-2011, 05:41 AM
Administrator

The issue with the contents .pla on Sansas all being what was included the one created has been around since the original Clip. I wrote how I was able to make it stop that nonsense here. It was really frustrating to put together something you thought would work nicely and lose it when you created the playlist down the road. Once again, there's no guarantee what works on the other Sansas will work on a Clip Zip but it may be worth a shot.

I have no other ideas on the .m3u lists. In the other Sansas playlists created from files in the Music folder or it's subfolders then saved directly to the Music folder worked. If that's not what's needed now something has changed and someone that has one would need to work out what that is.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:02 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I have always saved my m3u playlists to the root directory of the player or microSD card. I create my playlists in Winamp using the method that skip252 mentione in post #2 of this thread. It works on the Clip+, Clip, Fuze, and Samsung YP-Z5. I suspect that it will work the same way on the Clip Zip.

I have toyed with .pla playists but probably only had one active at a time, and I don't recall where I stored them.

Steve

Old 09-09-2011, 07:16 AM
Administrator

I definitely believe you Steve. It was following the directions you and Skinjob gave that I was able to make my first working playlists on a Sansa.

One of the things that has me scratching my head is the report that some .m3u lists aren't showing at all. I checked on my Clip+ and Fuze and as long as the extension is .m3u or .m3u8 the playlists show in the listing if they work or not. If they don't show at all on the Clip Zip something is different.

Considering all my Sansas are working OK now I doubt I'll be getting a Zip any time soon. I figure someone will have worked this out by then.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:13 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
I definitely believe you Steve. It was following the directions you and Skinjob gave that I was able to make my first working playlists on a Sansa.
And I learned the technique from folks in the Samsung YP-Z5 forum before the Clip arrived in the world. (Just to share the praise/blame. )

Steve

Old 09-09-2011, 12:20 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I just saw a post on the SanDisk forums that stated that m3u playlists should be in the music folder with the files, not in the playlist folder....and that was with both the playlist files and music files loaded in MSC mode. Since I don't use them, I can't verify that, but I thought I'd share.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
I just saw a post on the SanDisk forums that stated that m3u playlists should be in the music folder with the files, not in the playlist folder....and that was with both the playlist files and music files loaded in MSC mode. Since I don't use them, I can't verify that, but I thought I'd share.
As I said above, I think that they should be in the root of the player or card. That's what works on the Clip and Clip+. I'd be surprised if it was different on the Clip Zip, given all the other apparent similarities.

skip252 stores his playlists in the Music folder. I store mine in the root folder, and don't have to edit them.

Steve

Last edited by FreeZ5; 09-09-2011 at 12:41 PM.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:25 PM
Administrator

That's what I meant when I said I figure someone will have worked this out by then. I came into the how to make a playlist on a Clip once the details had been worked out. I still had problems because I was almost doing it right but not exactly as had been posted.

Playlists on Sansas can break over the smallest details. A space in the wrong spot, a forward slash that should be a backslash, storing it in a place that changes the path, anything. Once you get things right, it's fairly easy. There were a number of people that insisted how others were making playlists didn't work. Once they started doing things exactly as outlined playlists worked for the too.

BTW, neither of the playlists I posted were edited by me. The Playlist folder in my Winamp options is set to the Music folder. When I right click a group of files in the media library and save them as a playlist the playlist saves to the Music folder and the EXTM3u playlists created work with no editing.

Same with the foobar2000 created .m3u playlists. No editing, just "Save as..." and use the Music folder as the save location and everything works. That's no doubt because of the folder/file structure I use.

Old 09-10-2011, 01:54 AM

Quote:
FreeZ5 is right, but I'll expand a little bit:
  1. Drag files from the Clip into Winamp's playlist editor
  2. Arrange the playlist as desired
  3. Save the playlist to the Clip's MUSIC folder.
  4. If you later want to edit the playlist, drag the m3u file from the Clip into Winamp's playlist editor and repeat steps 1-3, overwriting the original m3u
Well I gave this a shot with my clip zip.

1) I formated the player and started it on MSC.
2) Connected it to my computer-Winamp doesn't even realize that it has been connected.
3) Copy a few music folders onto the MUSIC folder of the clip and then drag them into a new playlist that I made up.
4) I then exported that playlist back to the Clip zip, first to the Music folder and then to the root folder.
5) And nada. Nothing! I check the playlist and there's nothing there. What did I do wrong? I thought I had followed the instuctions to the letter.

Old 09-10-2011, 08:53 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Well I gave this a shot with my clip zip.

1) I formated the player and started it on MSC.
2) Connected it to my computer-Winamp doesn't even realize that it has been connected.
3) Copy a few music folders onto the MUSIC folder of the clip and then drag them into a new playlist that I made up.
4) I then exported that playlist back to the Clip zip, first to the Music folder and then to the root folder.
5) And nada. Nothing! I check the playlist and there's nothing there. What did I do wrong? I thought I had followed the instuctions to the letter.
3) That's exactly what I do.
4) What does 'exported' mean? Did you save it from Winamp to the player? (In the Playlist Editor....File, Save Playlist). If you save it to your computer first, it won't work.

Steve