android
Old 08-31-2011, 07:49 PM

Arrow Right Clip Zip Album Art Settings?

I just got my new Clip Zip today. So far I like it, but it looks like about half my albums don't display artwork. This is disappointing because I've taken a lot of time to make sure 90GB+ music collection is tagged properly with album art.

Anybody know why some art won't display? Some of the art is 500x500, some is 300x300. It just seems random as to why they won't display. Does anybody know what the JPEG settings should be so the covers display?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-31-2011, 08:11 PM
Ultra Senior Member

What did you use to tag the album art?

Old 08-31-2011, 08:43 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEKWRX View Post
I just got my new Clip Zip today. So far I like it, but it looks like about half my albums don't display artwork. This is disappointing because I've taken a lot of time to make sure 90GB+ music collection is tagged properly with album art.

Anybody know why some art won't display? Some of the art is 500x500, some is 300x300. It just seems random as to why they won't display. Does anybody know what the JPEG settings should be so the covers display?
It seems to be directly related to the image size.....not the dimensions, (500x500) but the filesize, (how many kb the image is).

Old 08-31-2011, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
It seems to be directly related to the image size.....not the dimensions, (500x500) but the filesize, (how many kb the image is).

Any idea what the size limit might be?

Old 08-31-2011, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinburger1109 View Post
What did you use to tag the album art?
Most albums got tagged with Tag&Rename

Old 08-31-2011, 11:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Any idea what the size limit might be?
This is as far as I've investigated it....http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...8&postcount=34

I won't be going through and re-tagging all my stuff just so it shows up on this player.....it's one player out of six that I own.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:31 PM

I'm experiencing a strange problem with my new CZ. Each time there's a track transition and album art is embedded in the MP3 I hear a burst of static (darker images do that) and lighter images result in a longer pause (no static).

I've tried 128k CBR files, 320k VBR files, 8-9k images and 50k images. I've tried MSC and MTP, even re-installed the firmware. Same problem.

I strip the images andthe problem is gone, put them back in and they're back.

Is anyone else experiencing this? It sure seems like software since it happens on each album and a few moments before a track transition.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:35 PM

I noticed the static as well. I heard it while listening in bed last night on about 5-6 tracks while on shuffle. Happens at the end of a track. I wasn't looking at the screen so I can say if the art has anything to do with it, but it is sure annoying. I hope they address this in a firmware update.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnmats View Post
I'm experiencing a strange problem with my new CZ. Each time there's a track transition and album art is embedded in the MP3 I hear a burst of static (darker images do that) and lighter images result in a longer pause (no static).

I've tried 128k CBR files, 320k VBR files, 8-9k images and 50k images. I've tried MSC and MTP, even re-installed the firmware. Same problem.

I strip the images andthe problem is gone, put them back in and they're back.

Is anyone else experiencing this? It sure seems like software since it happens on each album and a few moments before a track transition.
Quote:
I noticed the static as well. I heard it while listening in bed last night on about 5-6 tracks while on shuffle. Happens at the end of a track. I wasn't looking at the screen so I can say if the art has anything to do with it, but it is sure annoying. I hope they address this in a firmware update.
A firmware update was just released, actually.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
A firmware update was just released, actually.
Nice. Just updated.

Regarding the art. I re-tagged a few albums with smaller art (around 50kb) and re-synced with MediaMonkey, and still not working. I wonder if we can get official compatibility specs from Sandisk an JPEG settings for album art considering album art is a new selling point of the Clip Zip?

Old 09-01-2011, 02:12 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Nice. Just updated.

Regarding the art. I re-tagged a few albums with smaller art (around 50kb) and re-synced with MediaMonkey, and still not working. I wonder if we can get official compatibility specs from Sandisk an JPEG settings for album art considering album art is a new selling point of the Clip Zip?
I made the request in the official SanDisk forum for these specs....we'll see what happens as far as a response.

Old 09-02-2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Nice. Just updated.

The new firmware does work on my unit. I've tried it in both MSC and MTP to be sure. The static or looong pause is gone.

What I did notice though was a longer than expected pause between tracks if the image was too large. Keeping it at ~20kB or less seems to not give any problems.

As a test, just drag/drop the files into the CZ directly and see if you still have issues. I kept my CZ in MTP mode since I occasionally use the player in my wife's Equinox's USB port. That way it act pretty much like my iPhone's iPod player. Everything now seems to work just fine since the 15A FW release.

Old 09-03-2011, 12:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnmats View Post
Everything now seems to work just fine since the 15A FW release.
That's always nice to hear. Now, Audible needs to issue an updated device profile for the Clip Zip. And, I'd love to see an updated firmware for the Clip Zip that adds some enhancements--more song info. on the screen/a rolling roster of different screens.

Old 09-06-2011, 12:15 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Album art support is limited to a maximum filesize of 100KB.

Old 09-26-2011, 03:17 PM

I had the same symptom. About half my music would not display album cover art. I found a restriction in addition to image file size.

The image not only needs to be under 100KB, but also a specific type of jpeg compression format. "Baseline" and "Baseline Optimized" jpeg format types work. The "Progressive" format does not work. I am using Photoshop to convert these one at a time. But, I imagine you could batch convert using something like Imagemagick if you had loads of albums to do.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:15 PM

I've tried a lot of different methods, including saving as "baseline" in photoshop, at less than 100k, and still no luck. I have a few that work - they're 96x96 and around 5k, embedded in the MP3 tag, saved through the "internet" dialog in PS, but it still seems to be up to the moon phase as to whether or not these covers will work either.

My OCD usually kicks in with having album covers being displayed correctly, but this isn't doable on all my albums anyway.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog kid View Post
I've tried a lot of different methods, including saving as "baseline" in photoshop, at less than 100k, and still no luck. I have a few that work - they're 96x96 and around 5k, embedded in the MP3 tag, saved through the "internet" dialog in PS, but it still seems to be up to the moon phase as to whether or not these covers will work either.

My OCD usually kicks in with having album covers being displayed correctly, but this isn't doable on all my albums anyway.
It's funny I just download pictures (usually from Wiki) and nearly all seem to have worked. However, I may not have checked them too closely.

Steve

Old 01-15-2013, 09:06 PM
Administrator

With the settings I posted here http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...4&postcount=14 along making sure that the tags agree as described here http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...63&postcount=2 99.9% of my AA displays reliably in the sandisk firmware. It may be 100% but I don't use the sandisk firmware enough to say that with complete confidence.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:57 AM

Thanks skip. I'm having very good luck with MusicBrainz Picard. I have it set to download only album art at 250px and to name the art "cover." It replaces the current artwork of the album's MP3s and adds a cover.jpg the the folder. Oddly, it added a cover that's 500x500px, despite the options I set, but the cover still works on the CZ (art is only 61kb). 100% success rate so far, though I've only tried three albums so far.

It has plugins and scripting, so hopefully I can get it to do automated batch tagging.