android
Old 09-02-2011, 10:10 AM

why wouldn't I just get a 16gb J3 for $180 and 16 or 32gb card?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-02-2011, 10:33 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbpaddler View Post
why wouldn't I just get a 16gb J3 for $180 and 16 or 32gb card?
I'd rather have that than the new i10 ...

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 09-02-2011, 11:26 AM

It's funny...I have two specific needs...MTP and the ability to play an album or playlist one song at a time (stopping after every song). I'm all for SQ, but I'm using this for teaching a workout class so SQ isn't the highest priority. Creative and Cowon seem to be the only two companies that have the play once capability, and my 32gb Zen was stolen, and the last one on ebay went for over $200 (shocking unto itself). So my choice has been widdled down to the J3. A bit much for my needs, but I suppose the 16gb with a 32gb card I can at least use some of the space for personal music with my triple fi's. I just don't do that type of listening as much as I used to.

Anyone know of a 32gb or more player with the play once feature and mtp?
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
I'd rather have that than the new i10 ...

Old 09-02-2011, 02:14 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbpaddler View Post
It's funny...I have two specific needs...MTP and the ability to play an album or playlist one song at a time (stopping after every song). I'm all for SQ, but I'm using this for teaching a workout class so SQ isn't the highest priority. Creative and Cowon seem to be the only two companies that have the play once capability, and my 32gb Zen was stolen, and the last one on ebay went for over $200 (shocking unto itself). So my choice has been widdled down to the J3. A bit much for my needs, but I suppose the 16gb with a 32gb card I can at least use some of the space for personal music with my triple fi's. I just don't do that type of listening as much as I used to.

Anyone know of a 32gb or more player with the play once feature and mtp?
I own the Creative Zen 32gb, and I have a leather case for it - $125.00 gets you it shipped & delivered.

Old 09-02-2011, 02:28 PM

I don't uderstand the complaints about the i10.

1 - It will most certainly be cheaper than the J3 or S9.
2 - It's better in all ways than the i9.
3 - Bad screen resolution? I didn't see anyone complaining about the new A series Sony screen, wich has exactly the same resolution as the i10.
4 - The i10's screen is actually a tiny bit bigger than the Sony's (3.0'' vs 2.8'').
5 - Even if it costs the same as the Sony, I wouldn't doubt that the i10 can compete with it. It certainly can.

I really would have liked to see a MicroSD expansion slot, but still... it seems to be a good player.

Old 09-02-2011, 02:33 PM
Samsung Moderator

1) And?
2) How do you know? Did you try it?
3) 4) The screen is too big (did you see how long is the device Oo) and the resolution is too bad. Actually the resolution doesn't matter. The screen definition is important. And the Sony beats the i10 in that field.

Old 09-02-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebellium View Post
1) And?
2) How do you know? Did you try it?
3) 4) The screen is too big (did you see how long is the device Oo) and the resolution is too bad
1 - And?? So the price doesn't matter, is that it? Value for money is irrelevant, is it?
2 - It would make absolutelly no sense if it was worse than the i9.
3/4 - Yes, I agree that the device is a bit bigger than I would have liked, but it isn't that longer than an S9 or J3, and its actually not as wide as either. About the resolution... i've just said it has the same as the Sony A series, and no one is complaining, even though they replaced the OLED screen of the old one. Why is that?

Quote:
Actually the resolution doesn't matter. The screen definition is important. And the Sony beats the i10 in that field.
Ok, but you all have to understand that all that doesn'e mean the i10 is a bad player. Please compare it to other players in the same price range, not to more upmarket players that are certainlly better, but more expensive The Sony is perhaps in the same range as the i10, but we will have to wait for the European and American prices first.

Last edited by danimoca; 09-02-2011 at 02:53 PM.

Old 09-03-2011, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimoca View Post
2 - It would make absolutelly no sense if it was worse than the i9.
You clearly don't know Cowon very well.

Old 09-03-2011, 04:53 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
You clearly don't know Cowon very well.
lol so tru

Old 09-03-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
I agree it's a pass but at least they delivered on a 32gb model.
Given the lack of expansion slot, I'd say that's the least they could do.
Is it so **cking hard to propose 64Gb models nowadays ?
The price of flash memory has gone down the drain, and 32Gb models have been there for at least 3 years...

And ergonomy-wise: touchscreens have been there for a while, so the use of a touchpad is just an abomination. Physical buttons or touchscreens, pick up your choice, but touchpad is just like chosing the worst of both worlds, not mentioning it makes this player so big...

Last funny note: "20 background colors and 10 font colors". Just hilarious, you could do more than that on the D2 five years ago without the "color therapy jumbo-mumbo".

For prices, there is no doubt that distribution will be as confidential as usual, and EU/US prices as unreasonable as usual.

I guess Research & Development has left Cowon's boat a while ago, they've been stuck with same design/capacity and features since the S9.

Headphones: AKG K240-MKII
To sell: JVC HA-FX300, Philips SHE9850

Old 09-03-2011, 11:49 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tienbasse View Post
Is it so **cking hard to propose 64Gb models nowadays ?
I suspect that most companies don't think these devices would sell enough units to justify the higher cost per unit.

For example, the Sansa Clip+ highest selling capacity is the 4GB model, which is probably why they didn't bother even adding a 16GB model to the new Clip Zip.

Old 09-03-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
I suspect that most companies don't think these devices would sell enough units to justify the higher cost per unit.
I can't agree with that. Flash memory is dirt cheap these days, and there is no financial reason not to propose 64Gb models. Public was conned into spending 300$ for a pair of Monster Beats and 500$ for the latest iPhone, why wouldn't people spend 300$ for a 64Gb player?

You can easily find 64Gb usb drives, and they sell for less then 100$. Same for SSD for computers, costs have gone down like mad.

To me, it looks like manufacturers do not want to "kill" their remaining hard drive-based players, when they could easily sell 64 or even 128Gb flash memory players for the same price.

Quote:
For example, the Sansa Clip+ highest selling capacity is the 4GB model, which is probably why they didn't bother even adding a 16GB model to the new Clip Zip.
This is different, in this case you have a memory slot to expand capacity.
But even with that, you can't currently use more than 32Gb cards, which is the reason why I would not buy it.
Maybe it is just me, but I like to have most of my music library on the player (currently 61Gb), I don't enjoy at all playing delete-and-load-music everyday (call me lazy).

All in all, I just feel like Cowon has reached a state of technical stagnation, and their "improve your lifestyle, be zen and other mottos" starts to look like the shi**y advertising that mainstream companies flood us with when they have nothing new and they want to keep the yearly product renewel rate ( i.e. Monster, Bose...).

Old 09-03-2011, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tienbasse View Post
To me, it looks like manufacturers do not want to "kill" their remaining hard drive-based players, when they could easily sell 64 or even 128Gb flash memory players for the same price.
This seems to be part of the problem. There are 64GB SDXC cards and sometime this year there will be 128GB cards which are still SD version 3.0 and can be formatted with FAT32 to be used with older players but the only Cowon that has a SD slot is the D2(+) which never got features like e.g. gapless since there has to be a successor which gets this feature (while technically not far removed from the D2) but this one sports a microSD slot which has been limited to a maximum of 32GB for how long now?

So the 'current' players always come with an expansion slot where you are limited to a maximum of 32Gb and it has been like this for years.

Once microSDXC cards bigger than 32GB will be released newer players will have a nanoSD slot which maxes out at 32Gb you'll see.
But they'll promise that nanoSD cards will come with capacities up to 5TB in the 'future'.

Hate Apple if you want to but at least they release players with 64GB flash memory and the next Ipod Touch 5G is supposed to max out at 128GB.

Last edited by razorblader; 09-03-2011 at 04:48 PM.

Old 09-03-2011, 04:54 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorblader View Post

Hate Apple if you want to but at least they release players with 64GB flash memory and the next Ipod Touch 5G is supposed to max out at 128GB.
That would be the end of the Classic, I guess.....unless they put one of the new Toshiba slim 220GB spinners in a new Classic.

Old 09-03-2011, 05:02 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
That would be the end of the Classic, I guess.....unless they put one of the new Toshiba slim 220GB spinners in a new Classic.
I could certainly see them dropping the Classic if they brought out an iPod Touch 128GB, but 32GB (160-128, in case you didn't get where I was coming from) is still a lot of space, even when you think about it relative to the 160/128GB memory in said players.

Old 09-03-2011, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorblader View Post
No hate, Apple has a brilliant marketing strategy, I'm just more and more disappointed by Cowon, which hasn't deliver anything new on the material side (aluminium instead of glossy plastic?) or technical side (capacity, straightforward interface) for a while.

3 years ago, I wouldn't even have considered buying a Sony player.

Old 09-03-2011, 06:51 PM

Have you heard of what's going on in Germany? There are lots of Apple-haters in Germany now due to their "brilliant" strategy.
I know, that's another topic... but I do agree that Apple knows how to make hypes for their so-called "revolutionary inventions".

I'm disappointed by Cowon either. The i10 is just an S9 with worse usability (huge screen but you have to use a touchpad... wtf) and to me it seems Cowon lives in an isolated world where only Korean customers are important (if at all). Since the S9 their players didn't change much and the O2, V5, etc are rubbish. With such a strategy Cowon won't survive any longer in the international market.

Old 09-04-2011, 06:03 AM

Agreed Cowon's 'strategy' for their recent players is not mainly aimed at the Western market it seems. The last player that made sense is the J3 everything released after it doesn't except probably the X7 but that one had been in development for years and is flawed too.

Their attempt at releasing an Android device is a good move but the D3 certainly is not the ultimate answer to that task.

No offense but the mention of Apple's marketing strategy has no bearing on the fact that they plan to release a 128GB flash player, neither do they claim to have invented flash memory. It's about the fact which company is willing to release a player that goes beyond 32 or even 64GB of flash memory capacity. It's certainly not Cowon at the current time.

Last edited by razorblader; 09-04-2011 at 06:33 AM.

Old 09-05-2011, 06:19 AM
Samsung Moderator

http://product.cowon.com/product/iAU...uct_page_1.php

Old 09-05-2011, 11:12 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Anyone know if the i10 will come to the U.S.? Or when?

Tags
10, cowon, i10, iaudio