android
Old 08-28-2011, 01:23 PM

Default Clip not recognized by my computer

It's been a while since I've used this device, but I was able to charge it by connecting it to my computer and listen to make sure it's in working order. The problem is, the computer doesn't recognize the Clip at all. I've tried rebooting. I also have another computer I've tried with the same result. Is my Sansa Clip defective?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-28-2011, 01:44 PM
Administrator

Welcome to ABi

It's possible the cable is defective. There have been times that the cable worked well enough to provide a charge but not transfer data. The test of course would be to try it with another cable. Along that same line it's possible for the USB ports even on different PCs not to supply sufficient power for a full connection. I've never had that happen but have read where others say that it has.

I'd also check the connector socket for dust and dirt. I had one that would charge but not connect properly and a dirty socket turned out to be the problem. A little (very little!) contact cleaner followed buy a shot of compressed air straightened that out.

Old 08-28-2011, 03:48 PM

Tried it with two other connecting cables and cleaned the connectors. No dice...

Old 08-28-2011, 07:31 PM

I don't know about the original Clip, but the Clip+ has a setting to ensure that the player is recognized as an external drive by the Windows operating system. It is found in Settings--System Settings--USB Mode--Select MSC. If the USB mode is set either to Autodetect or MTP you have to the San Disk Clip drivers installed on the computer to be able to transfer files to the player using the San Disk utility. Again, I have no idea if any of this applies to the original Clip.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:36 PM
Administrator

There are no Sandisk drivers to install. The MTP drivers are part of Windows Media Player and the MSC drivers are the same drivers that Windows uses for every external USB drive.

If what I suggested before doesn't help I don't know what the problem might be. I do know that sending someone off on a search for non-existent drivers isn't going to help.

Old 08-28-2011, 08:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

What is the player's USB mode setting set to? If not MSC, try setting it to MSC and then connecting.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:56 PM
Ultra Senior Member

i had a similar problem when the the battery was completely drained i had to use a ac charger and leave it plugged in overnight and it came back to life