android
Old 08-28-2011, 02:06 PM

Default Westone 4 with J3

Hi,

I'm new and don't know much about portable audio players.
I currently use a Westone 4 with my iPhone and it completely blew my mind.
However, I was told that if I have a better player (and perhaps also not using mp3 files), sound fidelity may improve?

I'm really curious if anyone uses the J3 with the Westone 4: what do you think about it? Is it a good pair? Or should I go for another portable device?

Thank you,
Joel

p/s: I'm sorry if this sounds like a completely stupid question. I am really, really new to all this...

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-28-2011, 08:46 PM

the j3 is superior to pretty much everything out there (the apple is rotten) BECAUSE it gives you the most options to tweak the sound. next to the effects like bbe, extra-bass 3d effects... you have a full equalizer that is customizable: the hertz is customizable the db (+ to -) is customizable the approach is customizable (should the frequences be played widely or normal or narrow?)

the j3 can get the best out of your in ears because it can go in any direction you want now the question is what does your in ear bring to the table.

ps: probably some people will cyber-mobb me for that but if your mp3 have 200+kbits then its enough i have a lot of flacs (losless format) and the difference can be heard but not really in every-day situations

Old 08-31-2011, 06:13 PM

I want more reviews ont eh Westone 4s. Are they large, do they fit in your ear compfy? Give us your review on these babies. Oh the J3 is the bomb great bat life, sound excelent I have both the j3 and the smaller i9

Old 09-01-2011, 08:33 AM

actually i tested my battery life because i was suspicious, due to its short life at the beginning (only something about 10-20 hours) but after the 3rd charge i let the player play almost constantly since friday or saturday (cant really remember) and it lasted till tuesday morning. screen was mostly off i had high quality mp3 and a lot of flacs the player was turned to volume 18 when i listened and when not, it was turned to 10-5 depending on how many people where at home. so when the setting is alright you can really archieve the 60 hours mark. very impressive compared to my former samsung p3 which needed a recharge after a couple of hours of intensive listening

well, totally of topic but i thought someone might care

Old 09-01-2011, 12:19 PM

If you have the money just go for the J3. If your iphone 4 is your main phone, the J3 can become your media player. It has longer battery life, better sound customization and a amoled screen. So your phone now can save battery life on audio

And to answer your last question, I don't think there is another device in the same league as J3

Old 09-02-2011, 11:16 PM

Thank you all for the response!

So far from what I've been reading, the J3 is easily many people's favourite because of the customizable eq and ability to play flac files. However, like burningfist pointed out, I'm not sure if playing on flac or mp3 has that significant a difference with my Westone 4? Most of the reviews I've read comes from people with super high end headphones... But with the Westone 4, do you think there will be any noticeable difference playing flac vs mp3 200+kbits?

@g.711 I love the westone 4! It comes with different kinds of tips (and them foam tips actually expand and fit around my ear nicely, blocking out most of the sound from outside also). As for the sound, I am no expert, but if there's one thing I will say.. it sounds very neutral. I compared it to the shure 535 and with the shure, I think the higher mids sorta strike out more than anything else. But with the w4, everything sorta sounds flat. Even the bass is less bassier. But I do like it a lot because without all that reverberating thumping, I can actually hear the bass clearer.

One thing I don't like about the w4 though is it's cable... the cable built is really good (better than the shure 535 as it's braided) However, you have to tie it around your head and leave it hanging behind, which is cool if you put your ipod in your back pocket -- however, if you put it in, say, your right front pocket, then you will feel a tug on your left ear, especially when you turn to the right (vice versa).

I am really curious to see what the J3 eq can do to the w4...

Anyways, I hope this helps.