android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > SanDisk Sansa > Sansa Clip / Clip+ / Clip Zip

Old 08-25-2011, 04:22 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Default What Would You REALLY Liked To Have Seen In The Clip Zip?

I have to say I'm quite surprised that ppl arn't that into the LCD display. I too think it was the logical step forward in this series, but i guess alot of ppl just want better battery life. But really, if the clip zip had the same interface as the clip+ and say 24hr battery life instead of 12hr would you really buy it?

SO I ask, what would you REALLY have liked to have seen the clip zip do. List yer top 3 things. I'll start.

1) LCD (album art)
2) 16gb and 32 gb models
3) Bluetooth APT-X Support (lol)

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-25-2011, 04:36 PM
Ultra Senior Member

1. 16GB and 32GB models

That's the only thing that immediately comes to mind. I'm sure I'll think of something later though.

Last edited by Marvin the Martian; 08-25-2011 at 04:48 PM.

Old 08-25-2011, 04:44 PM
Administrator

Great minds think alike Marv. I was in process of moving this when you posted. It think it's a great idea for a thread. Considering that the Clip Zip is pretty much what I expected there's not much I'd change. Except...
  1. Guarantee of compatibility with SDXC.
  2. A bit better battery life.
  3. A lanyard hole. Since the Clip broke off my Clip+ I glued an eyelet on it and drop it in a shirt pocket. Real convenient and I'm not tugging on the headphone cable to get it out.

Last edited by skip252; 08-25-2011 at 04:50 PM.

Old 08-25-2011, 04:56 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Official SDXC and 16GB capacity.

Old 08-25-2011, 05:15 PM
Ultra Senior Member

20 hour battery. That's it. I can live with it maxing out at 40GB for now.

Old 08-25-2011, 05:24 PM

1. battery life
  2. larger capacity models
  3. polyurethane bezel for improved shock resistance and generally make em more tough
The new screen is probably better though I liked the old one as well. A good move with the bigger screen might have been to go with a nokia s40 like 3 x 3 grid view.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:36 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Of course, all of the above would be nice. I still want and need a 100GB+ solid-state player--hey, that's only 3 32GB microSD cards and would only cost SanDisk in the neighborhood of $50-$75.

Instead of longer charge time through a larger battery, how about an auxiliary battery pack, with a second battery like this first, that would clip onto the back of the player? (Something would need to be done about the player's clip, making it removable or having the battery pack have its own.) And, if not expensive, it optionally could even have its own micro USB port for charging separately. My first CD player, a Sony, had such a slice battery.

And bluetooth indeed would be nice for elimating those wonderful dangling headphone cables, and, no doubt, ultimately (in some form) will become a standard.

But what I still would like to see in the current Clip Zip iteration is a more informative what's playing screen. Basically, I'm thinking, keep the second what's playing screen as is (the one showing the album art or wallpaper alone--or perhaps just overlay the simple progress bar over it, and/or the up-top time and status line) but with the first what's playing screen, for music, add the current track no./total track nos. info. towards the top, and the elapsed time and remaining time/total time to the progress bar area. Also, to heighten readability, darken the gray underlay under the top status line (much like the gray under the album info.). All currently do-able and having been done somewhere by SanDisk already.

Perhaps not of interest to many people here but to the general population likely so (witness what happened with Apple's Nano--a new industry was born), a further screen showing a clock, in a choice of styles, also would be welcome.

And, in fact, I could see a further screen having what's playing detailed info. (currently buried in the menus), including what's up next, more accessible. My general idea would be, an opening screen with album art and current playing info., an album art screen, a what's playing now and next detailed info. screen, and a clock screen, each of which could be accessed though a click or doubleclick of the select button, perhaps in a rolling fashion, one after the next.

And, of course, that database refresh time hit just has to be handled.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:13 PM
ABI Invaluable

1. dual microSD slots so you could have 64GB (two 32’s)
2. longer battery life or the battery expansion pack that Mikerman mentioned
3. removable clip
4. reduce refresh time by 1/2 or more
5. rockbox ftw

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 08-26-2011, 12:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

1) 16 & 32gb capacities
2) 20+ hour battery life

Rockbox would be nice as well - since I'm pretty used to it by now.

I think that's really about it. I think it's a great and REAL upgrade for the clip line.

Now, I wonder if the next update of the fuze line will suck,...again!!!

Old 08-26-2011, 12:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
And, of course, that database refresh time hit just has to be handled.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
4. reduce refresh time by 1/2 or more
5. rockbox ftw
Everyone complains about the refresh times....mine are not bad at all with a 16GB card on a Clip+. I do wonder how they would be with a 32GB card, but my tags are pretty much Sansa optimized. That's my current debate....buy a 32GB microcard or not?

And yeah WG, Rockbox would certainly be nice.....but as far as the OF, the customizable menus do put the CZ ahead of the Clip+ OF, IMO. Thankfully, I don't have to use the C+ OF anymore.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:31 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I now have a clip zip on da way,...

Old 08-26-2011, 01:31 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Everyone complains about the refresh times....mine are not bad at all with a 16GB card on a Clip+. I do wonder how they would be with a 32GB card, but my tags are pretty much Sansa optimized. That's my current debate....buy a 32GB microcard or not?
For me, going from a 16GB microSD card to a 32GB card, same speed, significantly increased the refresh time.

Old 08-26-2011, 01:37 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
For me, going from a 16GB microSD card to a 32GB card, same speed, significantly increased the refresh time.
Did it simply double, like logic would dictate? (I know, logic has no place on an internet forum)

Reason I ask is, the last time my C+ and its 16GB card were both full of normal length songs, my refresh time was approx. 4 minutes. So jumping to 8 minutes would be just fine by me.

Old 08-26-2011, 05:23 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
I now have a clip zip on da way,...
I'm so jelly

Old 08-26-2011, 05:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Maybe not for the clip range but yeh I would LOVE to see the fuze zip (lol) be a SSD or summin like the Cowon X7 done right. I agree, there is definitely a need for a large HD and battery life player/device. Cowon did right with HD size and battery life and sound for the x7, now if Sansa could step in and do a slightly larger Fuze V2 (or a whole new mp3 player line) with what sounds like a good UI of the clip zip I think we'd all be very happy.

Old 08-27-2011, 10:04 AM
Ultra Senior Member

1. A better LCD screen. I'm not upset that an LCD replaced the Clip/+'s OLED, just that its resolution is terribly low, and -- from photos -- it appears to be of the same crappy quality that 2004's c200 series was. (Yeah, yeah, budget player, I know...but it looks cheap and limits the amount of information that can be displayed.)
2. Higher internal capacities. 16GB would do fine.
3. None of the chintzy silver plastic accents. I'm actually quite fond of the colors SanDisk has brought out this time...but the garish silvery buttons completely destroy the aesthetics for me -- and transform what could have been a cute/handsome design into one that, again, screams "cheeeeeaap!"
4. That said, offer more of the color options than black and grey for the highest available capacity (8GB). I'd probably buy the white one (once Rockbox support came about, naturally) if it didn't mean sacrificing half of the internal capacity.
5. More battery life.
6. Official SDXC support, sure.

Old 08-27-2011, 11:15 AM

Mostly the battery life.
Not to get more hours out of it. but becuase some SD cards are taxing on the system and make it last less.

Old 08-27-2011, 02:33 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Did it simply double, like logic would dictate? (I know, logic has no place on an internet forum)

Reason I ask is, the last time my C+ and its 16GB card were both full of normal length songs, my refresh time was approx. 4 minutes. So jumping to 8 minutes would be just fine by me.
Actually, significantly more than doubled. But then, my 16GB and 32GB cards, although the same Class, are from different manufacturers and have different (although similar types and sizes of) music on them, so this is far from scientific.

Old 08-28-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBanner View Post
Maybe not for the clip range but yeh I would LOVE to see the fuze zip (lol) be a SSD or
What would be the advantage using an SSD instead of flash memory chips and expansion via card, as they're doing now?

Quote:
I agree, there is definitely a need for a large HD and battery life player/device.
It seems very doubtful to me that SanDisk would ever produce one.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:08 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Battery Life.