android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > SanDisk Sansa > Sansa Clip / Clip+ / Clip Zip

Old 07-16-2013, 05:26 AM

Default Is the Clip+ still in production or is Sansa only manufacturing Clip Zips?

This is probably a stupid question, but I would like to know the answer before I order.
I see I can order both Clip+ and Clip Zip on Amazon. I know Zip is the newest model. BUT, are the Clip+ being currently sold on places like Amazon, etc. newly manufactured, or are they some that have been sitting in a warehouse for a few years? I worry about battery life on an older item, even if it hasn't been used. Or is Sansa only manufacturing Zips now?
I really hope Clip+ are still in production, I much prefer the interface of it over the Zip!
Thanks for the info!
S

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-16-2013, 09:34 AM
Ultra Senior Member

My guess is that the Clip+ is still being made. I have no proof of that though. Further evidence pointing to it probably still being made is that Sandisk released the Clip+ in a few new colors around a year ago, so that it proof that it was still being made a year ago. The problem might be though that a certain seller might be selling some Clip+ players that are very old. The newer Clip+ players say Sandisk on the front, while the older ones say Sansa. I don't know exactly when they made the switchover, but since the player's front is visible through the package, I say reject any Clip+ player that says Sansa on the front.

I hated the firmware that came with the Clip Zip, but since I Rockboxed my Clip+ and Clip Zip I greatly prefer the Rockboxed Clip Zip to the Rockboxed Clip+ since the Clip Zip has a larger screen, and I can choose to use white letters on a black background on the Rockboxed Clip Zip. The radio is also better on the Clip Zip. The clip on the Clip Zip is stronger. I couldn't stand the original firmware on the Clip Zip and Rockboxed it within around a week after I started using it. I used the Clip+ with the original firmware for a few years before Rockboxing it.

Last edited by JK98; 07-16-2013 at 09:40 AM.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:40 AM
Administrator

===thread title changed. please use descriptive titles in the future. "New Clip+" isn't searchable by anyone that's looking for the same info in the future===

I'd guess that the Clip+ is still being produced. There was a firmware update released long after one would have been expected. When the Rockbox developers examined it the only difference was to address newer memory hardware. The thought was the only need for that would be if production was continuing and there was the need to accommodate newer memory hardware.

New colors were also introduced in the 4 GB model not too long ago. That happened around the time a newer player would have been expected if sandisk had followed the release pattern they had in the past. That makes me think that the new colors were the refresh to the line instead of a new model. Buying one in the updated color would seem to assure you would get one made since that time.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

My guess: still being made. For electronics of this type, the Clip+ has had a long pedigree and also has been successful--hard to think that SanDisk could and would have warehoused that much inventory for sale over so many years.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Personally, I wonder if either are still in production. Sandisk could just be distributing them from stock. BTW, as far as I can tell, neither is available from Canadian retailers. Stupid retailers, or stupid Sandisk?

Steve

Old 07-16-2013, 03:09 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
Personally, I wonder if either are still in production. Sandisk could just be distributing them from stock. BTW, as far as I can tell, neither is available from Canadian retailers. Stupid retailers, or stupid Sandisk?

Steve
Some retailers like Best Buy and Radio Shack sell the Clip Zip but no longer sell the Clip+. I guess they don't see the need to sell both.

If you really want a Clip+ you could order a 4GB one from B&H in NYC for $31, however shipping and duties to Canada is around $17 or so. The 8GB one is $56+ shipping and duties. Imo you should get the Clip Zip though and Rockbox it. What does the Clip Zip sell for in Canada? B&H has the 4GB for around $38-40, and the 8GB for around $55 plus shipping and duties. Some Canadians who live near the US border have a mail box within the US right near the border.

PS. I just remembered Amazon now ships to Canada, although their shipping to Canada isn't so cheap either.

Last edited by JK98; 07-16-2013 at 03:19 PM.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:13 PM

Quote:
===thread title changed. please use descriptive titles in the future. "New Clip+" isn't searchable by anyone that's looking for the same info in the future===
Thank you for changing this for me, I realized too late how vague my title was!
I will have to look on Amazon and see if I can see the front of the player.
I may get up the courage to Rockbox my Zip, maybe! I'm such a chicken!
Thanks for the info everyone!
S

Old 07-16-2013, 05:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
Thank you for changing this for me, I realized too late how vague my title was!
I may get up the courage to Rockbox my Zip, maybe! I'm such a chicken!
Thanks for the info everyone!
S
I was afraid to use Rockbox for a long time, but hated the firmware on the Clip Zip so much that I forced myself to use it. Since then I put it on my other Sandisk players as well. The automatic installation of Rockbox on the Sandisk Clip+ and Clip Zip is fully automatic, except that you need to select the drive letter the comper has assigned to the player when you connected it. The Rockbox installer asks for this using the word mountpoint. Before you connect the player to install Rockbox, the usb mode on the player has to be set to MSC. The only problem is that if you put Rockbox on a player you might permanently disable the player from playing protected files.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
Whatever stock photo they use on Amazon isn't necessarily going to be the same player when it's pulled from the one of the many warehouses they have and sent to you.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
I was afraid to use Rockbox for a long time, but hated the firmware on the Clip Zip so much that I forced myself to use it. Since then I put it on my other Sandisk players as well. The automatic installation of Rockbox on the Sandisk Clip+ and Clip Zip is fully automatic, except that you need to select the drive letter the comper has assigned to the player when you connected it. The Rockbox installer asks for this using the word mountpoint. Before you connect the player to install Rockbox, the usb mode on the player has to be set to MSC. The only problem is that if you put Rockbox on a player you might permanently disable the player from playing protected files.
Also recommended: scan the Rockbox manual for the Clip player you have (also available at the Rockbox site). There is so much useful information there and there are so many capabilities with Rockbox, you really don't want to miss them!