Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipperjones View Post
I'm in for two then
thanks!
Enjoy!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-26-2011, 02:18 PM

Great review, Marvin, really tackling the important aspects.

One (probably futile) question: did they add pan/balance as well?

Old 08-26-2011, 02:31 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Nope, no pan/balance. You'll have to wait for Rockbox, I guess, to be able to use one of these.

Of course, since it has the AMS internals, I would think it should be a quicker port than some of their past ones. From the devs' standpoint, the main difference from the Clip+ to puzzle out would be the new display, right?

Old 08-26-2011, 02:32 PM

Damn... well, not really a surprise. Thanks for checking.

It might even have the same (crappy) screen as the old C200. Bertrik already is working on adding the Zip to the build list, and Saratoga meant there's not much of a difference to the other AMS players (except the RDS tuner)... so maybe we see a Rockbox Zip port sooner than expected. And then I sure want one, for glorious ultra-HD cinemascope album art.

Old 08-26-2011, 02:40 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Currently at 4 hours elapsed, and 55% charge remaining, with my FLAC shuffle test. Loaded about 9GB on my 16GB card, and close to 7GB on the internal and hit shuffle all. It's running at 2/3 volume, Normal EQ, ReplayGain active but with no pregain, into the aux-in of my Sony boombox.

At this rate, assuming a continued linear drain, FLAC battery life will be about the same as the silly "audiophile" players like the SFlo2....lol

Old 08-26-2011, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
At this rate, assuming a continued linear drain, FLAC battery life will be about the same as the silly "audiophile" players like the SFlo2....lol
Finally, great news! Clip Zip is indeed an audiophile player. One criteria met. A few more to go

Old 08-26-2011, 02:51 PM

Low battery - check.
No gapless - check?
No Replaygain - check?
Abysmal usability - check?
Abysmal browsing - check?
Ridiculous background hiss - check?
Rolled off treble - check?
Crosstalk of -20dB - check?
Weighing as much as a sack of bricks - check?
Measuring as big as a fridge - check?

... seems it has to have a few more points on the checklist before it passes for an audiophile player.

Old 08-26-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Low battery - check.
No gapless - check?
No Replaygain - check?
Abysmal usability - check?
Abysmal browsing - check?
Ridiculous background hiss - check?
Rolled off treble - check?
Crosstalk of -20dB - check?
Weighing as much as a sack of bricks - check?
Measuring as big as a fridge - check?

... seems it has to have a few more points on the checklist before it passes for an audiophile player.

^^ You've forgot "Insane pricing".

Old 08-26-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
It does support Ogg, but I wouldn't in general assume that things supporting flac also support Ogg. They're different formats with different decoders.

I wasn't talking about the support for the codec, but for the tags. Since FLAC simply uses the Vorbis comment format, I would assume that a player that supports both FLAC and Vorbis, and that supports tags and album art on FLAC files, will support tags and album art on Vorbis since the tagging format is the same.

Old 08-26-2011, 05:44 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Currently at 4 hours elapsed, and 55% charge remaining, with my FLAC shuffle test. Loaded about 9GB on my 16GB card, and close to 7GB on the internal and hit shuffle all. It's running at 2/3 volume, Normal EQ, ReplayGain active but with no pregain, into the aux-in of my Sony boombox.

Update time!
So much for linear battery drain. At just over 6 hours elapsed, it was reading 44% remaining, and then it shut down 5 minutes before the 7 hour mark. According to foobar, the 15.7GB of FLACs on the player average out at 872kbps....not sure how relevant that is, but more info is better than less, right?

So no FLAC for me on this thing from now on, that's for sure...lol.

Old 08-26-2011, 06:16 PM

So the clip+ is better if you use flac files a lot?

Stupid amazon doesn't ship to my country...

Old 08-26-2011, 06:31 PM

who the hell listens to flac on an 8GB portable anyway? it's a criminal waste of space for no perceivable benefit. sure i'll do it when it's big enough to hold everything but that'll be a few more years before it's cheap enough.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipperjones View Post
thinking about getting this for the wife. her only complaint on her older sansa player is she cannot scan through a song, you know, listen to her favorite part of the song over again (must be a girl thing).
can you do that on this model?
Yep, you can fast forward and rewind within a song, without sound--wish it still had sound for that, though! (I've never understood not having sound while fast-forwarding or rewinding--like rewinding or fast-forwarding your video tape or DVD without a picture.)

Old 08-26-2011, 07:20 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapide_23 View Post
So the clip+ is better if you use flac files a lot?
Only if you are running Rockbox on it. If you're using the Sansa firmware on a Clip+, FLAC battery life will also suck. I remember testing it on my old original Clip and getting 8 hours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc2003 View Post
who the hell listens to flac on an 8GB portable anyway? it's a criminal waste of space for no perceivable benefit.
Who? Take a read through Head-Fi.org....

Old 08-26-2011, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Update time!
So much for linear battery drain. At just over 6 hours elapsed, it was reading 44% remaining, and then it shut down 5 minutes before the 7 hour mark.
Sounds more like a badly inaccurate battery meter than anything else.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Who? Take a read through Head-Fi.org....
so where are the WAV benchmarks then?

edit: i only just noticed this (serves me right for skim reading)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
It might even have the same (crappy) screen as the old C200. Bertrik already is working on adding the Zip to the build list, and Saratoga meant there's not much of a difference to the other AMS players (except the RDS tuner)... so maybe we see a Rockbox Zip port sooner than expected. And then I sure want one, for glorious ultra-HD cinemascope album art.
even though i have no intention of getting a zip anytime soon it's good to know there's a strong likelihood of a rockbox port being around in the future.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carson Dyle View Post
Sounds more like a badly inaccurate battery meter than anything else.
Well, that didn't seem to be the case when I tested with MP3. I guess we won't know until Rockbox is ported and we can run the battery bench on one of these Zips.

Either way, FLAC battery life sucks.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

IMHO FLAC is a complete waste on a portable player .

I think MP3 is the way to go on everything, even if your player is compatible with other "higher quality" formats such as AAC or OGG Vorbis.

This Clip Zip looks like a possible upgrade. Although I do like the idea of a Sony as well, when the time comes I'll have to make the choice between the two.

Retired Devices:
Sansa Fuze 8+16GB Rockboxed

Old 08-26-2011, 10:05 PM

I use flac because I'm lazy and CBF converting all my files to MP3 whenever I want to put new music on

Old 08-26-2011, 10:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

And that's a pretty good reason to my ears--

Closed Thread

Tags
clip zip, sandisk, sdxc compatibilty