android
Old 09-19-2011, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestial Being View Post

Congratulations, you just BRICKED your 64GB SDXC card for ALL SDXC devices.
Again you are wrong. Formatting the card with another FS doesn't 'brick' the card.

Do you even know what the term 'to brick something' actually means in a technical context?

It means to render a device unuseable.

Be careful not to brick one of your HDDs the next time you format it with another FS.

The SDXC card can easily be formatted back to exFAT if you so choose and you can even go further and manipulate the BOOT and MBR sector to turn the card into a boot device or change the partition type.

If you are really interested in how to do this take a look at this post of mine.

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...017#post542017

It's not that I'm more adventurous than you, I'm simply more knowledgeable on this specific subject it seems and have proof of feasibility while you throw conjecture and out-of-context web-links around.

I'm not posting this information to satisfy your passive aggressive nature but for others who might find this information useful as there is a lot of conjecture out there and very little facts concerning the use of SDXC in older devices.
Your trolling of my posts doesn't help either.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-19-2011, 09:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorblader View Post
Not necessarily, I've successfully tested a 64GB SDXC card in a SD to microSD adapter formatted to FAT32 with both the Fuze and Clip+ and it worked fine with the OF and Rockbox. There's hope.
Looks like razorblader tested a FULL size SDXC card using an adapter. Don't know for sure if a microSDXC card will work or not. Might be some subtle unknown differences between a micro card and an adapter. I'm sure somebody will provide test results soon. Not too many people will want a full size card and adapter setup on their player (For sure I don't).

Steve

Old 09-19-2011, 09:44 PM

Just pulled the trigger on the 4gb black + an 8gb microsd card, due to all the positive reviews, and from owning the two previous clips... My music collection is a humble 7gb at this point, so the setup should last me awhile.

Old 09-20-2011, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
Looks like razorblader tested a FULL size SDXC card using an adapter. Don't know for sure if a microSDXC card will work or not. Might be some subtle unknown differences between a micro card and an adapter. I'm sure somebody will provide test results soon. Not too many people will want a full size card and adapter setup on their player (For sure I don't).

Steve
I know for sure that the adapter doesn't make a difference as it provides just a mapping of the contacts of the SDXC card to the microSDHC connector that goes into the player. No further electronics involved.

MicroSDXC cards conforming to SD v3.0 will most likely work but we won't know for sure until someone got a chance to try one. We'll see.

Old 09-21-2011, 05:58 AM

Default to : razorblader / Cowon s9/j3 witj 64gb SDXC

I already stated that I got a 64GB SDXC card working with the Fuze and Clip+ and could access all the files (about 5260) with the OF and Rockbox.
Please may you check it with your S9 or J3 (both are very similar)
for it it worked On J3 , I will be a happy Cowon owner
Thanks razorblader for the update

Old 09-21-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turok View Post
Please may you check it with your S9 or J3 (both are very similar)
for it it worked On J3 , I will be a happy Cowon owner
Thanks razorblader for the update
You're welcome.

I don't own the J3 and the S9 doesn't have a (micro)SDHC expansion slot. The card works with my Cowon D2+ though so the J3 shouldn't have a problem with the card either.

Right now the card is being used as the HDD replacement in one of my Cowon X5s and works perfectly (with the OF and Rockbox) and that player is from 2006...

Old 09-22-2011, 06:42 PM

Wicked thread. I had a clip+ but left it on a plane after a long-haul flight. Ooops. I was sad, but I see now that it's a perfect excuse for an upgrade.

One question - can you describe the sleep functionality? Is it sticky or does it reset (i.e. turn back to 0) each time it powers off. I love to fall asleep to music, but get pissed off if I have to reconfig the sleep timer in the middle of the night...

Old 10-16-2011, 02:36 PM

The radio feature that shows what's playing on that station currently doesn't work in Canada, or do I have to do something? I did see it once on a random radio station, but not on the big ones. I know in cars this feature works.

Also, the battery life seems worse than the vanilla clip even with all the brightness settings, and other battery life saving settings turned all the way down. Sucks.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:37 AM

Excellent player, i love it!

Except that the battery life is not to great.

I added a 16 GB microSD card and here's what happens :

The Clip Zip charges at 100%(plugged overnight) and then when i unplug it the database refreshes. It takes about 5 minutes. After that i check the battery life and it always shows something like 85%.

So when i modify something on the Clip Zip and i want to leave the house with a 100% battery charge i must :

1-Wait until the player is fully charged.

2-unplug it

3-wait until the database refreshes.

4-Re-plug the Clip Zip

5-wait until it charges at 100%

6-unplug and leave to work in a hurry!

First world problem, i know! :P

Old 10-17-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobikan Judan View Post
The radio feature that shows what's playing on that station currently doesn't work in Canada, or do I have to do something? I did see it once on a random radio station, but not on the big ones. I know in cars this feature works.
RDS doesn't work here in Austria either. I get some random four letter combinations but not the real station names or anything else.

Old 10-17-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
RDS doesn't work here in Austria either. I get some random four letter combinations but not the real station names or anything else.
http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Clip-Zi...rs/td-p/248618

Apparently there is a problem with the RDS firmware. Or, the stations are using the RDS info incorrectly? Just guessing.

Old 10-20-2011, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_TB View Post
Excellent player, i love it!

Except that the battery life is not to great.

I added a 16 GB microSD card and here's what happens :

The Clip Zip charges at 100%(plugged overnight) and then when i unplug it the database refreshes. It takes about 5 minutes. After that i check the battery life and it always shows something like 85%.

So when i modify something on the Clip Zip and i want to leave the house with a 100% battery charge i must :

1-Wait until the player is fully charged.

2-unplug it

3-wait until the database refreshes.

4-Re-plug the Clip Zip

5-wait until it charges at 100%

6-unplug and leave to work in a hurry!

First world problem, i know! :P
After reading a post like this,I'll probably never consider buying a Clip Zip,I'd most likely buy a 32GB MicroSD card for it and that would probably take even longer and waste battery time.

Old 10-20-2011, 04:37 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I've had such random experiences with battery life with my sansa products (clip+ and two fuzes).
Sometimes when i charge the clip+ overnight it reads 60% in the morning :S Othertimes it says 100%. There doesnt seem to be much consistency, sumtimes i am at 100% with the fuze and get varying playbacktimes with as big a difference as 3-4hrs between them overall.
I have learned to NEVER trust the % meter, just because vince says that after a refresh its down to 85% from 100% doesnt mean its really been drained 15%. Fuze reacted similarily dropping from 100%>85% just from switching on and making a playlist (I still got 18-19hrs out, and when it read 15% left still played for a further 6hrs etc).

I think the battery life has been covered before quite extensively with correctly tagged files, rockbox on or off etc all impacting the overall battery life, basically dont let this put u off the clip zip just yet

I'm getting one soon and will report back my findings in comparison to a fuze and clip+

Old 10-22-2011, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
OK, same tracks on the Clip+ results in a refresh time of 3:20.8.....three minutes, twenty point eight seconds.

I'll let the engineers figure out why the new player would refresh faster.
I am totally amazed at these refresh times. My new clip+ takes up to two hours to refresh with a 16g micro sd filled to capacity.

What do you think is wrong?

Old 10-22-2011, 11:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrfpacker View Post
I am totally amazed at these refresh times. My new clip+ takes up to two hours to refresh with a 16g micro sd filled to capacity.

The number of files and the state of the mp3 tags makes the difference. Many people here use MP3Tag to cut the tag content back to a minimum, ie remove V1 tags, remove comments, etc etc. There are some threads somewhere on what tags people like to keep.

Steve

Old 10-23-2011, 12:05 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrfpacker View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
The number of files and the state of the mp3 tags makes the difference. Many people here use MP3Tag to cut the tag content back to a minimum, ie remove V1 tags, remove comments, etc etc. There are some threads somewhere on what tags people like to keep.

Steve
Indeed, there are....http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=57248

Old 10-23-2011, 12:39 AM

Have a *good* look at the tags. Some media software (such as iTunes and Media Monkey) add all sorts of tags you never knew existed.

Also, a lot of time is spent creating all the directories and subdirectories, if your files are arranged that way.

Old 10-29-2011, 04:03 PM

Anybody who have had any problems with the mini-jack output?
- I had the clip+, where there were a lack on the soldering of the mini-jack output left channel. What I've been able to find on the internet, I'm not the only one who experienced that problem.

I hope the Clip Zip doesn't have that problem?

Old 10-29-2011, 09:55 PM

So, some questions concerning the Zip that I have not seen addressed.

If album art isn't that big of a deal to me, especially on a screen this small, can it be disabled?

Why would SanDisk eliminate the "time used/time remaining" function? Do they know something we don't?

In a side by side comparison are the improvements in alphabet browsing, bigger screen, color screen, and album art worth it? Personal opinion, I know, but any thoughts from those who have a Zip?

Other than my very long refresh time, I'm quite happy with my Clip+ and can't see that the Zip is really an improvement.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malke View Post
Anybody who have had any problems with the mini-jack output?
- I had the clip+, where there were a lack on the soldering of the mini-jack output left channel. What I've been able to find on the internet, I'm not the only one who experienced that problem.

I hope the Clip Zip doesn't have that problem?
If I fiddle around with the jack, I can get it to cut out a little bit, but this is the exception rather than the rule.

Closed Thread

Tags
clip zip, sandisk, sdxc compatibilty