android
Old 09-16-2011, 09:02 AM

This Amazon situation seems very odd to me. I got my CZ from them just before they were pulled and had no problems whatsoever with the unit. I've done business with them for a long time; and if it's a short-term problem, they usually alert the potential purchaser that it may take longer than normal to fulfill the order. They don't pull product from their site very often.

In any event, mine had the correct cable, and works flawlessly; so I don't know what the deal is.....

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-16-2011, 03:31 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Anyone know where to buy this physically from a store in the uk? I recall Comet or Curries selling the clip+ awhile ago.

Old 09-16-2011, 11:25 PM

64GB microSD arrives

I wonder if the Clip zip will ever support it. If it does I'll snap one up in a heartbeat.

Old 09-16-2011, 11:35 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapide_23 View Post
64GB microSD arrives

I wonder if the Clip zip will ever support it. If it does I'll snap one up in a heartbeat.
Maybe once it is Rockboxed.......probably not ever with the Sansa firmware.

Old 09-17-2011, 12:35 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Man, that really would be some fantastic shiit!!! That would be a 72gb clipzip!!! WooT!!!

Old 09-17-2011, 12:47 AM

I just received my Clip Zip :-). Transferring some music in it now. Will sort out the tags later. Want to hear it first. Got my PL-30 out and waiting for transfer to finish. BTW, I am using an 8Gb Sandisk Class 4 SDHC microSD card.

Old 09-17-2011, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Maybe once it is Rockboxed.......probably not ever with the Sansa firmware.
Not necessarily, I've successfully tested a 64GB SDXC card in a SD to microSD adapter formatted to FAT32 with both the Fuze and Clip+ and it worked fine with the OF and Rockbox. There's hope.

Old 09-17-2011, 03:17 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorblader View Post
Not necessarily, I've successfully tested a 64GB SDXC card in a SD to microSD adapter formatted to FAT32 with both the Fuze and Clip+ and it worked fine with the OF and Rockbox. There's hope.
What about the Sansa database limit of 8000 tracks, did you exceed that?

I've got someone now on the Sansa forum that can't even access all of his tracks (less than 7000) on his Fuze even with folder browsing, unless he uses Rockbox. And he's just using a 32GB card.

Old 09-17-2011, 04:47 AM

I just got my Clip Zip. I can't wait to get wait to get home and upgrade the firmware because I am facing all the problems being reported in the old firmware. The static noise in between songs is really irritating. And volume button should be functional when locked too for sure which they are not on the old firmware.

Old 09-17-2011, 04:54 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapide_23 View Post
64GB microSD arrives

$220. Wonder how long until it's below $50.

Old 09-17-2011, 11:05 PM

Like all technology, probably not too long.

Old 09-18-2011, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
$220. Wonder how long until it's below $50.
About 2 years.

Old 09-18-2011, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
What about the Sansa database limit of 8000 tracks, did you exceed that?

I've got someone now on the Sansa forum that can't even access all of his tracks (less than 7000) on his Fuze even with folder browsing, unless he uses Rockbox. And he's just using a 32GB card.
Exceeding the DB limit will create the same problems irrespective of the capacity of the card used. I was referring to the possibility of using a higher capacity card than 32 GB.

Once the 64 GB microSDXC cards are at a reasonable price level Rockbox will be well on its way for the Clip Zip I assume. People who stick with the OF probably won't be the first to upgrade to a 64 GB card.

Old 09-18-2011, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestial Being View Post
SDXC uses Microsoft's proprietary exFAT to achieve sizes greater than 32 GB. AFAIK, even if you could access a 64GB SDXC card with an adapter and format it using FAT32, you could still only access 32GB with FAT32 under the microSDHC standard. Microsoft's exFAT is incompatible with FAT32 AFAIK.
Ever heard of harddisks that exceed 32GB and are formatted with FAT32?
This should tell you that there isn't a 32GB limit for FAT32, it is a random limit set by the SD v.2 standard not a technical limitation. It's not like most players have a setting in their firmware rejecting cards exceeding 32GB capacity automatically. Some work with bigger cards and some don't. It's a matter of testing it and not believe.

The exFAT FS doesn't really matter once you manage to format the card with FAT32. BTW you can format current SDXC cards with either NTFS or exFAT on Windows, there is not technical limitation that they only work with exFAT.

On a linux machine you can even put the reiser or the ext2/ext3 FS on it.

Future SDXC cards which conform to SD v.4 standards will have an extra contact pin and will be incompatible with the current SDHC slots but the current bunch of SDXC cards conform to the v.3 standard and are essentially SDHC cards with higher capacities than 32 GB.

Old 09-18-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Anyone know where to buy this physically from a store in the uk? I recall Comet or Curries selling the clip+ awhile ago.
Hi, also from the UK.
Comet and Curries/PC World seem to have stopped selling the clip or fuze. I did hear somewhere that it was because they had too many returns but I think it probably more likely that sales weren't too great as people have been brainwashed into thinking ipods are the mp3 player to own. Poor fools!
Amazon uk and Play.com are releasing at the end of October and you can preorder on both sites. £40 for 4gb. £50 for 8gb on Play.com. More expensive on Amazon at the moment but it will inevitably come down nearer the actual release date.
I havent seen any Sansa players in any shops in the uk for 2 or 3 years. I buy mine on ebay.

Old 09-18-2011, 08:28 AM

Thanks for the review. Just found out today about the new Clip Zip. I actually like the name!
I have the original Clip as well as the Clip +. I tend to use the plus most of the time, for the sole reason of the Folder option, as I listen to a lot of audio books. But I prefer the design of the original Clip. The buttons are better. I also find I often end up pressing the wrong button with the square design (never do with the Clip circular design) and I really like the back light on the original clip. So it's good to see a redesign of the scroll buttons.
I'm also pleased to hear that the clip may be more robust, as I see this as the biggest weakness in the Plus. The clip broke on mine with very little wear. Ideally I'd like to see a replaceable clip on the new versions.
I also dont know why they dont make the coloured versions in 8gb; never understood that one. One thing I dont like is the Zip having the scroll area in a white/silver colour, except in the black version. Spoils it for me.
But once these become available in the uk and the price drops I shall be purchasing one of these little goodies, for sure!
Now if only they would bring out a Fuze Zip!

Old 09-18-2011, 02:49 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestial Being View Post
Yada yada, I don't know what I'm talking about but I'm trolling your posts anyway...
Maybe you didn't read what I posted before or didn't understand that I wasn't spouting theories like you did. Read the whole thread from the beginning then you'll realize that I already stated that I got a 64GB SDXC card working with the Fuze and Clip+ and could access all the files (about 5260) with the OF and Rockbox.

Attached are some screenshots showing the Rockbox and OF info screen and two of the files playing that are way beyond the 32GB mark on the SDXC card. I can access and play any file that I randomly choose so the only problem with using the OF could be that you hit the dreaded 8000 file limit Marvin was talking about.

But who would want to use the OF as long as/if Rockbox is available.

Since I don't have a Clip Zip I can't confirm that it would also work but don't see why it wouldn't given the success with the Fuze and Clip+.
Once Rockbox for the Zip is available it certainly will work.

Just a little reminder in case you missed it before.

SD (SD 1.0) and SDHC (SD 2.0) cards are incompatible for hardware reasons/differences.

SDHC (SD 2.0) and current SDXC cards (SD 3.0) are compatible from a hardware standpoint, the FW accessing the card determines if it will accept a card bigger than 32GB. Like I stated before (jeez...) this is merely a randomly set number, technically you could have SDHC cards up to 2TB and they would work if the FW of your player would accomodate that.

Only SDXC cards conforming to SD 4.0 will be incompatible with current SDHC slots but so far all the SDXC cards released and the announced Kingmax and Sandisk microSDXC cards conform to SD 3.0 so they should work as well.

Now spare me what you believe or think because that means absolutely zilch in a technical context. That's what religions are for.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rockbox_Info.jpg (46.2 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg OF_Info.jpg (75.3 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg Past32gb_play1.jpg (51.2 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg Past32gb_play2.jpg (39.0 KB, 50 views)

Old 09-18-2011, 03:21 PM
Ultra Senior Member

cheers clearmarble, I think advancedmp3players.co.uk will stock it soon enough as well, they have a physical shop in Edinburgh, might get a family member to grab one there for me (as they are luddites and don't do internet shopping lol).

Old 09-18-2011, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearmarble View Post
Amazon uk and Play.com are releasing at the end of October and you can preorder on both sites.
Amazon uk states release date being October 10th atm:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Clip...374076&sr=8-11

Play.com says October 24th.

Seems they still don't know the exact release date.

Old 09-19-2011, 02:23 AM
Ultra Senior Member

It's Monday here in oz. lol.

Closed Thread

Tags
clip zip, sandisk, sdxc compatibilty