android
Old 09-04-2011, 11:10 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Well, I listened to an album last night before bed, Zip into my Audio Technica headphones, no EQ required.....a very pleasant experience.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-04-2011, 12:02 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
OK, latest (and last) round of battery life numbers. I converted nine Judas Priest FLAC albums to Q5 Ogg Vorbis....4 albums on internal memory, 5 albums on external memory. Avg. bitrate according to foobar....157kbps. Other conditions were as before....ReplayGain engaged with no pregain, shuffle and repeat all on, volume approx. two-thirds. Runtime.....nine hours, 15 minutes.

I mentioned this was the last battery life test, after having previously mentioned AAC testing. Well, it seems there are many variants of AAC/m4a....and the Zip doesn't like them all. The Nero AAC encoder skip recommended produces the same resulting codec as the audio I had stripped from a YouTube video, that early testing proved not palatable with the Clip Zip....mp42.

So, for me to do an AAC test, I'd either need to buy a bunch of albums from iTunes (not gonna happen) or rip a few CD's with iTunes, then lose the use of the player for another whole day while I run the battery down again. So I'll leave the AAC testing to someone else......I think I've done my fair share of testing.
An update to this....from the release notes of the last firmware update.

Known Issues

• Pressing Back button does not return to previous list when playing an album after first song is played (Work around: User can go to Music menu and follow the highlighted choices to go back to previous list)
  • AAC files encoded with Microsoft mp4-2 variable bit rate cannot be played (Work around: User can use different encoder or encode songs to different supporting formats)

A further clarification.....when I had tried that AAC test, it did appear to be playing....until on one of my checks of the battery life remaining, I noticed the files I had put on the card weren't registering on the device. When I aborted the test and attempted to rectify the situation, it froze a couple of times, requiring a reset. Once I removed those Nero files, it hasn't needed a reset since. It worked just fine through my Ogg Vorbis test, and now that I have my usual LAME files back on it, it continues to work just fine.

Old 09-04-2011, 12:32 PM

At least with my testing, AAC files encoded with Neroaac played fine on the CZ; with a caveat. Gapless (or near gapless) playback wasn't possible. There were noticeable dropouts at each transition. Switching to LAME encoded MP3 files cured this problem.....And the source files (FLAC ripped from the original CD's) were the same in both instances.

So, it appears there needs a bit of work done to make AAC work properly with the CZ. No big deal for me, as I'm not a AAC guy. Most of the albums that I care about that I got during my (the horror!) iTunes days, have been replaced by CD. But, a person that has a whole collection of AAC files might be disappointed by the CZ's performance....right now at least.

Old 09-04-2011, 12:39 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I initiated my RMA/exchange, and I'll have to wait till after the holiday to send it in for a new one. Bummer,...

Old 09-04-2011, 01:53 PM
Administrator

With all the different ways I see to create AAC files I get the feeling that the only way for a iTunes user to know how making the transition will work will be to try it out. Depending on if I use ffmpeg, faad, or Nero I can produce the same bitrate and wind up with the file being identified as any one of a number of codec profiles.

Someone will actually try it with iTunes encoded files or some purchase from the Itunes store sooner or later I'd guess. I do have one album that's iTunes encoded and I see tag fields there that aren't in the Nero encoded files including ITUNSMPB. Looking it up it seems that's where the gapless information is stored. That might make a difference when someone makes the actual transition.

Old 09-04-2011, 09:10 PM

Late post but very nice review. I enjoy my clip+ very much right now and it still works.
Orange looks too enticing and I will probably cave in.

Old 09-05-2011, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Not available in 8GB though.
It completely sucks that there are so few color choices for the 8GB. Then again, I'll probably end up getting a black silicone skin for the player anyway.

Old 09-05-2011, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
With all the different ways I see to create AAC files I get the feeling that the only way for a iTunes user to know how making the transition will work will be to try it out. Depending on if I use ffmpeg, faad, or Nero I can produce the same bitrate and wind up with the file being identified as any one of a number of codec profiles.

Someone will actually try it with iTunes encoded files or some purchase from the Itunes store sooner or later I'd guess. I do have one album that's iTunes encoded and I see tag fields there that aren't in the Nero encoded files including ITUNSMPB. Looking it up it seems that's where the gapless information is stored. That might make a difference when someone makes the actual transition.
I tried it out with the last couple remaining albums that I had from my iTunes/iPod days; that were purchased at the iTunes store...and these also played fine with the CZ. The only problem is that none of these albums had any gapless sections to determine if the CZ would handle the gapless sections properly.

At this point, I'm not going to be terribly concerned with this part of the CZ's performance. I've moved on from iTunes....and like you said, the only way an iPod user is going to know for sure, is to try a variety of files themselves.

Old 09-05-2011, 04:47 PM

I had my original Clip since it first released, and I bought it specifically because ABI loved it. It just has scratches, but everything else is perfectly fine. The only problem is that it's 4GB. It's probably the best MP3 player I've ever owned, and I purchased the Zip a couple of days ago, and I can't wait to use it. Finally more space, and a clock!

I've been looking at reviews online from various websites, and some said the build quality is "alright." Man, the build quality is more than alright! This thing was enlisted in a war being taken around with me, and it survived for years! And it still works, and I'm still using it.

I'm glad I didn't purchase the Clip+ now. I recharged my Clip, and the Sansa program gave me an advertisement for the Zip, and now I shall have it soon.

Last edited by Tobikan Judan; 09-05-2011 at 04:53 PM.

Old 09-06-2011, 01:11 PM

@Marvin the Martian

Hi Did u notice any SQ difference between clip+ and clip zip? If yes so which one has better SQ and their signature? Please tell me

Thank you.

Old 09-06-2011, 02:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi_jollyguy View Post
@Marvin the Martian

Hi Did u notice any SQ difference between clip+ and clip zip? If yes so which one has better SQ and their signature? Please tell me

Thank you.
Well, everyone's ears are different.... but I'd guess that 99% of people would hear no difference between them.

However, if you're looking just for a purchase recommendation between the two, I think the Clip+ can be found cheaper, and Rockbox is free. I guess it comes down to how important viewing album art is to you.

Old 09-06-2011, 03:18 PM

I'd get the clip zil since soon it will be able to run rockbox

Old 09-06-2011, 05:25 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Is it sad to buy the CZ and wrap it up for my xmas present (summin to look forward to on the day?) lol.

Old 09-06-2011, 06:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBanner View Post
Is it sad to buy the CZ and wrap it up for my xmas present (summin to look forward to on the day?) lol.
No, it's admirable that you'd have the self-discipline to wait.

Old 09-06-2011, 06:49 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epithetless View Post
No, it's admirable that you'd have the self-discipline to wait.
Agreed.....but hey, maybe Rockbox will work by then!

Old 09-06-2011, 07:03 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I want me clipzip to work!!! I got no response to the email I sent Sandisk, except the automated one. I'll call 'em tomorrow,...

And wait for X-Mas?!?!?! You really would have a LOT more self-control than me!!!

Old 09-08-2011, 04:03 AM

I just registered here to thank Marvin for the wonderful review. Thank you. I just ordered a Clip zip for myself after reading your review. The 4GB version cost me $75 here in India after international shipping and custom duty. I will be pairing it with PL-30 that I already own and am currently using with my Nokia 5800XM phone. The sound from the phone seems a bit shallow. I have a creative muvo mp3 player and it's sound quality is way superior with my IEM. Unfortunately it is just 512MB storage.
I would also like to know how long the battery in Clip zip last before it goes bad. I would have preferred a replaceable battery.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:09 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baccilus View Post
I just registered here to thank Marvin for the wonderful review. Thank you. I just ordered a Clip zip for myself after reading your review. The 4GB version cost me $75 here in India after international shipping and custom duty. I will be pairing it with PL-30 that I already own and am currently using with my Nokia 5800XM phone. The sound from the phone seems a bit shallow. I have a creative muvo mp3 player and it's sound quality is way superior with my IEM. Unfortunately it is just 512MB storage.
I would also like to know how long the battery in Clip zip last before it goes bad. I would have preferred a replaceable battery.
It's hard to say about how long the battery will last. I've got a Clip+ that is just about two years old that still works just fine, if that is any help.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:39 AM

If you get 2 plus years out of it, it's well worth it. Although I think you'll get more if you take care of the player. Like marvin, I have 3 origional clips (older than the plus model) and they're still running great, even one that just busted the screen last week

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Last edited by WalkGood; 09-08-2011 at 11:42 AM.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:49 PM
Ultra Senior Member

My first Clip was bought very late Nov 2007, and is still working very well. As far as I can tell the battery is holding a good charge. It's the one my wife is using, so I don't have the best read on it's use. The other original Clip bought July/Aug 2009 is used in the car and it is doing very well (battery life etc).

Steve

Closed Thread

Tags
clip zip, sandisk, sdxc compatibilty