android
Old 08-21-2011, 01:21 AM

Default Noise Isolating Headphones?

Hi, I'm a college-bound student looking to purchase a set of headphones, saw this site and thought I'd just post a quick thread about my search.

Basically, I'm looking for a pair of headphones that is good at isolating the user from noise around him/her. I'm primarily concerned about noise that varies in frequency (like music or talking), not something like an aircraft's engine, so I don't really think noise cancellation headphones will be all that useful for me. The thing is, my searches online for "noise isolating headphones" mostly netted in ear products rather than headsets that cover the entire ear. I have a pair of in ear buds now, they're good at reducing noise, but they feel kind of uncomfortable to me, especially when I have them on overnight so I don't want another pair of those. The few full-ear headsets I found didn't explicitly say they shut out noise, they only hinted at it by saying something like "good at attenuating ambient noise"

I was wondering if someone on his forum could point me in the direction of a full ear product that is really good at just manually shutting out sound (I don't really care about noise cancelltion) and is also decently comfortable for prolonged use. Below I copy pasted the guidlines on this forum for info needed for a good recommendation:

Price Range: No more than $200, preferably less like around $100. The cheaper the better
Type/Design: Full size, ear cupping preferred. I'd like it to be comfortable material that isn't too stuffy (like leather?)
Open Style: Doesn't seem to be the best for isolation.
Closed Style: Seems good except for the fact that it results in "stronger bass" (I prefer highs)
Circumaural: Yes, Preferred
Supra-aural: No thanks
Primary location of use: Primarily used for studying. Should be portable enough to transport easily, but I wont move much with them on.
Preferable SQ or Sound Signature: Balanced or favoring highs
Media: Music, specifically hip hop (Kid Cudi style), classical, rock ... in that order
Source: Laptop primarily, maybe occasionally an ipod nano 5th gen(lol, website title?)

To sum it up, these are the aspects I am most interested in (in order):
Noise Isolation
Comfort
Sound Quality*

*Also just a note about the sound quality. When I use in ear or ear cupping headphones, the sound always seems to be a bit muffled and sort of "muddy". I think that means too much bass or something, which is why i said I prefer highs (I don't really know what these terms technically mean). I would like my new headset to deliver more crisp sounds, something nice, clean, and detached that doesn't sound like I'm being smothered by the music (if that makes any sense)... I don't really care for a booming bass. Just putting that out there.

I know this is a bit of a long read (hopefully not too dull)
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks!

Last edited by Atzi; 08-21-2011 at 04:40 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-21-2011, 09:49 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Although sometimes ignored nowadays, Shure phones fitted with triple-flange buds do a great job at isolation, and produce acceptable and even good sound, IMHO. And sometimes can be found at great prices, especially for earlier models.

Old 08-21-2011, 02:39 PM

I think most close full size headphones should give you enough isolation.

In terms of comfort, it really varies with people due to head size, whether you wear glasses and how much you sweat etc Also, the best isolation comes from leather pads rather than say velvet so it is a bit of a trade off between how much isolation you need to comfort level.

I really don't know what kinda of headphone you would like since most hip hop fans gravitate towards the bassy headphones. Go to a store to try out is your best bet.

A good all rounder headphone is the Audio Technica M50 but again comfort level varies from person to person.

Old 08-21-2011, 03:48 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimYoung View Post
I think most close full size headphones should give you enough isolation.

In terms of comfort, it really varies with people due to head size, whether you wear glasses and how much you sweat etc Also, the best isolation comes from leather pads rather than say velvet so it is a bit of a trade off between how much isolation you need to comfort level.

I really don't know what kinda of headphone you would like since most hip hop fans gravitate towards the bassy headphones. Go to a store to try out is your best bet.

A good all rounder headphone is the Audio Technica M50 but again comfort level varies from person to person.
Everything TimYoung says in this post is true, except about the ATH-M50. They're great, no doubt, but they do have strong bass. You may be more interested in Sennheiser HD208. They're flatter, IIRC.

Old 08-21-2011, 04:33 PM

yeah I only really know bassy headphones for low end model. For me strong bass is like Sony XB, Klipsch, Vmoda and Beats :P

Old 08-22-2011, 01:44 PM

Ok, thank you all for your input.

And steinburger, I'm not sure but I think you meant Stennheiser HD280 not HD208? If that's the case I'd have to agree with you, that is the headset I feel I'm most likely to buy.

Old 08-22-2011, 03:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I loved my HD428s and really recommend them. The cable is a little flimsy feeling but I could wear them for hours. The 280 is bulkier from what I could tell.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:00 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atzi View Post
And steinburger, I'm not sure but I think you meant Stennheiser HD280 not HD208? If that's the case I'd have to agree with you, that is the headset I feel I'm most likely to buy.
Yep Yep, dyslexic fingers, sorry.