android
Old 08-19-2011, 03:38 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Default interesting experiment

Recently I left what remains of my meager IEM collection with my cousin. I didn't tell him how much any of them cost or anything about them. I asked him to give them all a quick listen and let me know what he thought. Here is what he said...

Klipsch S4 (MSRP $70) - best bass, sometimes a little "tinny"
Hippo Groove (MSRP $50) - decent sound, easier to get in and more comfortable than either of the other two.
Meelectronics M6 (MSRP $20) - sound like ass

He said it was a toss up between the first two depending on preference. I am sure he didnt get a good seal with the Meelecs even though I left a plethora of tips, but that shows how finicky they can be. I plan on giving him some cans to do the same thing with.

Audio Technica ATH-M40
JVC HA-M750
JVC HA-RX500
Maybe the superlux 668b if I can make some side money to pick up a set.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-19-2011, 03:43 PM

Can an average person really evaluate headphones? I might sound like like snob but I'm not sure they can. My best friend insisted that the HD 485's (which have like a 10 dB mid-bass hump) had no bass.

Old 08-19-2011, 03:45 PM

Most of the MEE tips are all crappy and give major problems getting a good seal so I would agree with his Assessment. From the MEE tips I tested only the double flange or tri-flange ones gave me a good seal and the best I got was with after market tips.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 08-19-2011, 04:49 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I had Shure olives and Sony hybrids for him to choose from. He doesn't like multi flanges so I doubt he even tried them. I hate their fit too though. I rarely use them anymore.

As for the comment about regular folks...sure they can. They may not be able to properly articulate their impressions and they may not share your zeal for SQ, but they can evaluate. As for the Senns...I don't know that model but the general opinion is that they are bass light from top to bottom. They are quality more than quantity. A lot of the general mass associate bass with sub bass and refer to midbass as mids.

My point really was that his impressions mirrored a lot of popular opinion. The Meelecs are loved but renowned for a irritating fit. And if you don't have that good fit, the sound is disappointing.

Old 08-20-2011, 04:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

IDvsEGO, I think you're right on point: the average consumer (as versus "audiophile") can give a great and even more realistic opinion of a phone, but just not have the audiophile's sophisticated terminology to express matters. You see it all the time in the consumer products world.

Old 08-20-2011, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satellite_6 View Post
Can an average person really evaluate headphones? I might sound like like snob but I'm not sure they can. …
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDvsEGO View Post
… As for the comment about regular folks...sure they can. They may not be able to properly articulate their impressions and they may not share your zeal for SQ, but they can evaluate. …

The Meelecs are loved but renowned for a irritating fit. And if you don't have that good fit, the sound is disappointing.
I also agree with IDvsEGO that many people can give fair and unbiased opinions about the quality of what they hear. I’ve had friends test out phones and give me good feedback although some have a hard time explaining sound quality but that’s understandable. On the second point, I wouldn’t call the “fit irritating” on the 3 MEEs that I tested but rather hard to get a good seal with the included tips and with after market tips I achieved a better seal. Also agree that the sound isn’t good without a proper seal, you loose all the bass and most phones just sound tinny to my ears.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 08-20-2011, 07:07 PM
Ultra Senior Member

You either get dum asses who claim they all sound the same or the ones that complain about earwax even when you clean the tips in front of them. Sometimes theres a once in a million slightly smart friend who gets in the car and turns all the bass down because he wants to hear all the details.

Old 08-20-2011, 07:10 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I just hate the ppl who SWEAR how GREAT the Beats sound - and that's all they know. I guess I might say the same thing, coming from bargain basement crap HP's that you buy from the corner grocery store since they're so easy to get. I know, I used to do the same thing,...

Old 08-20-2011, 09:43 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The percent of people who care about sound vs. the ones who don't is lesser, just the way It is. I've heard Beat in ears you get the feeling of the driver is not capable.