android
Old 08-18-2011, 01:24 PM

Default Recovering Base Folders

I recently formatted my Cowon J3's drive so that I could remove the unnecessary folders and files. I was told that the device would automatically recover its base folders. However for some reason the "system" folder has disappeared making it rather difficult to add a custom UI.

Does anyone know a fix for this problem either in recreating the folder or downloading it?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-18-2011, 01:39 PM

Fascinating. I don't remember that \System was not recreated during that first re-boot after format, along with the other system folders.

I would speculate that if you copied some music and album art over to the \Music folder (just one or two artist/album folders, for a test), and then re-booted, that the "check albumart" process at power-on would automatically create the \System folder since it needs to put the 95x95 miniature album into \System\MusicDB.

Same thing if you begin to customize the J3, and it needs to store settings into \System\Flash UI\SOL. It will have to create that folder in order to place the .SOL file where it needs to go.

So I'm guessing that even though you say \System wasn't part of the initially recreated folders after format, I'll bet it will appear once you start to use the J3.

But to be honest, it's still a little surprising that \System and the needed subordinate folders (e.g. \System\Flash UI) are not automatically created at first re-boot after format. Very strange.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:42 PM

It truly is strange as the J3 works fine after the reboot. It's just a matter of uploading a new UI. Without the actual system folder it becomes rather difficult.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:45 PM

Well in fairness I also had to use the standard Windows formatter rather than the ideal SD formatter. For some reason the SD formatter was not recognizing the Cowon J3. Might that have something to do with the problem?

Old 08-18-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofJoeTing View Post
Well in fairness I also had to use the standard Windows formatter rather than the ideal SD formatter. For some reason the SD formatter was not recognizing the Cowon J3. Might that have something to do with the problem?
Hmmm...

I assume that you have Settings -> USB connection method set to MSC, and not MTP, right? You do get Windows drive letters assigned to internal/external storage (if you have an external card inserted) when you connect the J3, right?

Never heard of a report of that Panasonic SD Formatter not working properly, or not recognizing the J3's storage... assuming there is an associated Windows drive letter assigned.

But using Windows FORMAT should still work.

More strange, I honestly thought that all folders (including \System) got recreated.

As I think back on my own approach, I believe that after running the FORMAT (using the Panasonic utility), I then copied over the three firmware BIN files to the root of internal storage (which of course was still absolutely empty, right after the FORMAT and before I'd disconnected the J3 from the PC). Then, "safely remove hardware", disconnect the USB cable from PC, power-on the J3, watch as the new firmware was installed and the J3 then powered off when complete, then power on the J3 again, and then reconnected back to PC and examined the folders that got built, and started copying music and album art into \Music.

I don't recall ever having to create \System myself.

Old 08-18-2011, 02:31 PM

Hm... okay I changed the USB mode to MTP, but my computer still recognizes the device as a "portable device" rather than a separate drive.

Old 08-18-2011, 02:37 PM

By the way, where did you find the BIN firmware files?

Old 08-18-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Hm... okay I changed the USB mode to MTP, but my computer still recognizes the device as a "portable device" rather than a separate drive.
No... you're supposed to use MSC, not MTP.

MSC is the connection method which causes Windows to assign drive letters to both internal storage and external storage.

MTP is the connection method which does NOT result in a Windows drive letter. You'll see "Cowon J3", and then "internal storage" and "external storage" under it. No drive letters.

MSC supports 100% of Windows programs, which all work with drive letters.

MTP is very tough to work with, as most Windows programs depend on drive letters and MTP doesn't get drive letters assigned. So pretty much only the Microsoft family of tools (e.g. Windows Explorer) and a few other programs, can support portable devices in MTP mode, but even then it's clumsy and difficult.

===>>> You want to use MSC mode.

Old 08-18-2011, 04:14 PM

Quote:
By the way, where did you find the BIN firmware files?
You download the firmware ZIP file from the Cowon site. Unzip it somewhere, and you'll get three BIN files. Then copy the three BIN files to the root of the J3's internal storage.

(don't forget... in MSC mode you must ALWAYS first "safely remove hardware" before removing the USB cable from the PC, anytime you do anything which caused you to connect the J3 to the PC via USB cable and got a Windows drive letter or two assigned)

Old 08-18-2011, 08:33 PM

Oh okay. It all makes sense now. I had switched my Cowon J3 to MTP mode to work in conjunction with media monkey. However I had neglected to switch it back when using it in the windows browser. Much obliged DSperber. Your help has been invaluable.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Oh okay. It all makes sense now. I had switched my Cowon J3 to MTP mode to work in conjunction with media monkey.
Huh??

I'm positive that MediaMonkey works perfectly in MSC mode. I'd strongly urge you to just forget about MTP mode if you're going to be using Windows to maintain it.

Perhaps using MediaMonkey in MTP mode in the first place was what gave rise to the current mysteries.

Anyway, just go with MSC and forget it.