android
Old 08-15-2011, 11:45 PM

Default Upgraded firmware to wrong version - doh

I did something stupid. Somehow I downloaded the 2.35 firmware instead of 1.35 (not that I didn't know better; I must have misclicked or been half-asleep or something. It was 3:30am after all...)

So I installed it and not surprisingly my Clip has been acting very strangely, as it is a v1 Clip and shouldn't be running v2 firmware. Why Sansa didn't do a freaking simple check for device version before self-installing a firmware is beyond me. [public int getVersion()? bool isV1()? I mean seriously, how hard would that have been?] Anyway, it WILL play audio files and I can browse my library and stuff, so it's not totally borked, but it definitely has some issues (like powering off might trigger an endless power on/off cycle).

There MUST be some way to force the firmware to be the binary I tell it. The classic "put the file in the root directory" trick isn't working - it uploads, but it doesn't trigger a firmware update.

Does anyone know of a way (any way) to unbrick my clip? I'm fine with advanced developer tools, if it comes to that.

Thanks!!

PS: Yeah, that was DUMB!! OK, now that I got that out of the way (twice), constructive responses only please.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-16-2011, 12:00 AM
Ultra Senior Member

In my experience, the players won't let you put the wrong firmware version on. The solution should be to simply follow the instructions and do a proper manual update with the correct firmware version.http://anythingbutipod.com/images/fo...p01.01.35a.zip

Old 08-16-2011, 10:48 AM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

The v1 and v2 Clip run different CPUs that are incapable of understanding one another's firmware files, so its not physically possible to install the wrong firmware on player. If you put the v2 firmware on your device, then it is a v2 device and always ran the v2 firmware.

Old 08-16-2011, 04:48 PM

It's possible. I've had this clip since before March 2008 (see my sticky), and I don't even know if v2 existed at that point. I'm also 100% sure it used to run v1 firmware. How do I know? Well, (a) I looked before upgrading to see , (b) I have another Clip that I bought at the same time that still has v1 on it, (c) it used to work and now it doesn't...I could go on. I'm actually using my other clip right now as I type, and it is Version: V01.01.30A. That is the same version the other clip was at. I'm not 99% sure here, I'm 100% sure. Take my word for it, it IS possible to fubar your device in this manner.

Also, putting the attached bin in the root folder does *nothing* (anymore). That is how I have updated in the past, and how I managed to get myself into this mess now. However, now it doesn't even notice the file (doesn't trigger firmware update).

So...it's possible. The question is, there must be some developer tools to force an update or something. Something?

Old 08-16-2011, 05:20 PM

The firmware files of the v1 and v2 don't even share the same name, so the upgrade procedure won't be triggered either way. It really is impossible to load the wrong firmware on the Clip.

I assume you didn't try to rename the v2 m30pa.bin to a v1 m300a.bin? Either way, as Saratoga said, it is impossible to do this anyways.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:49 PM

OK, fine. I didn't know clip v2's existed in 2007, because that's the only time I've bought these things, but whatever.

So, I tried changing the firmware to 2.30 and I got the same error as when I updated to 2.35:
"Not enough space for Music DB. Please free up 30MB." I had about 1.7GB free before update, actually.

To fix I had to hold center button down and reformat. I'll have to do this again, I guess.

This sounds like broken hw to me, yet it worked fine before the 2.35 update. I've been using it for years.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:06 PM
Administrator

The times I've had a Sansa report it's capacity incorrectly it has always been a sign of errors in the file system. Using the formatter built into the player never seemed to do much to fix that.

I found that checking the disc for errors either with Windows error checking facility or running chkdsk with the /f switch was more likely to fix things. I try not to format the memory on a player with an external program once I've run the SDFormatter on it during initial setup. There have been a couple of times I did it as a last ditch effort to save a DAP after every thing else had failed. It worked in those cases to straighten things out but as I said that's the absolute last thing I try after everything else has failed.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:17 AM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by unpocoloco View Post
This sounds like broken hw to me, yet it worked fine before the 2.35 update. I've been using it for years.
The ClipV2 did not exist in 2007, and theres also no 2.35 firmware. Its possible you've actually got a v1 player with a v1 firmware installed and are just mixed up on which firmware files correspond to which device. If you check the firmware thats on the player, what is the actual version number?

Tags
firmware