android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 08-15-2011, 12:07 AM

Default Need your help choosing my headphones (very specifics needs)

Trying to find out the best Wireless Headset (or headphone with mic)

The only requirements I have are:
  • I don't want Bluetooth transmission, I don't want IR transmission, I don't want a docking station either.
  • I need a microphone on the headphone/headset, and the smallest usb dongle possible for transmission.
  • Not to big, not too small (no earbud-no full over-ear)

The only reasons I don't want bluetooth is because of the known Video/Audio Sync issue found in any bluetooth headphones/headsets device, and the prices.

Here's a list of models I found so far (yea only one, im' just starting to search..):

-Plantronic (done) .Audio 995 (2.4 Gh, 12meter, 8h / 8h Talk/Listen, 99.99$) Special feature: Noise cancelling mic

Last edited by marcabip; 08-18-2011 at 09:15 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-15-2011, 05:46 AM

I don't know those kind of headphones that well so the best I can do is give you some general thoughts. You can have them for what you paid for em.

Wired vs Wireless
I've gone wireless in the past (mice and headphones) and the problem has been that they run out of batteries at the worst possible moment or the internal batteries give up after prolonged use. To maximize the longevity and usefullness of your device I would recommend you get something with user replaceable standard batteries. Something like AAA's should be fine.

Active noise cancellation
Many of those models have active noise cancellation. To me that is a voodoo marketing fix. It only filters out constant noise (like an engine) while doing nothing for bumps and bangs. I've even read that the noise cancelling can be fatiguing. Better to get some passive noise cancellation (isolation from a closed back dj design headphone or IEMs)

Supraaural vs Circumaural
Many of those listed are supraaural designs. That means they are more portable but are not all that comfortable for prolonged use. You will have to make the call here as to how much comfort you are willing to sacrifice for the sake of portability

Given the aforementioned reasons I'd think hard about going for the one device solution. An alternative would be to have a comfortable corded gaming headset and a bluetooth earpiece. But it will depend on how you value different features.

Also be sure to check the compatibility of anything you get with your other devices. I'm not sure every BT headset will work with every phone and so on. Good hunting!

Old 08-15-2011, 11:45 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Old 08-15-2011, 02:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

lol or better yet just not put [size=1] all over the place...

Old 08-15-2011, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideways View Post
I don't know those kind of headphones that well so the best I can do is give you some general thoughts. You can have them for what you paid for em.

Wired vs Wireless
I've gone wireless in the past (mice and headphones) and the problem has been that they run out of batteries at the worst possible moment or the internal batteries give up after prolonged use. To maximize the longevity and usefullness of your device I would recommend you get something with user replaceable standard batteries. Something like AAA's should be fine.

Active noise cancellation
Many of those models have active noise cancellation. To me that is a voodoo marketing fix. It only filters out constant noise (like an engine) while doing nothing for bumps and bangs. I've even read that the noise cancelling can be fatiguing. Better to get some passive noise cancellation (isolation from a closed back dj design headphone or IEMs)

Supraaural vs Circumaural
Many of those listed are supraaural designs. That means they are more portable but are not all that comfortable for prolonged use. You will have to make the call here as to how much comfort you are willing to sacrifice for the sake of portability

Given the aforementioned reasons I'd think hard about going for the one device solution. An alternative would be to have a comfortable corded gaming headset and a bluetooth earpiece. But it will depend on how you value different features.

Also be sure to check the compatibility of anything you get with your other devices. I'm not sure every BT headset will work with every phone and so on. Good hunting!
Thanks sideway, very clean post. I forgot about the battery thing, thanks !
Well I will actually buy a wired Headphones for gaming someday, but as for now, I want something very portable but still comfortable (can't stand ear bud or other small thinggy that doesn't stand in ear)

Do you know if the new Soul by Ludacris are bluetooth and has mic built-in ?

I think I will have to make a list of all major brand and call them one by one.. That'd be great if some ppl here had any models to suggest me.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinburger1109 View Post
lol or better yet just not put [size=1] all over the place...
Well honnestly I prefer small text for such a big post...
don't you ?

Old 08-16-2011, 04:03 AM

I would stay well clear of anything that relies on artist's names to sell their products. Beats by dre, soul by ludacris and the like are all overhyped, overpriced garbage in my book. There is a whole thread dedicated to ripping on them.

Of those you listed, sennheiser, plantronics and nokia are ones I have personal experience with. Sennheiser and plantronics both do audio pretty much exclusively and should offer good compatibility. Nokia being nokia will be more phone (nokia) centric, so take that into consideration.

Bose is a little meh (overpriced) and I didn't even know akg made bluetooth stuff.

Off topic
General rule of thumb about changing fonts and colors for forum posts is don't. Unless it adds value to the content someone will disagree with your aesthetic decisions. It also breaks up the ebb and flow of text for the person reading it.

Old 08-16-2011, 05:50 AM
Ultra Senior Member

To be honest, it was just a little difficult to read. I'm used to this which is maybe like, twice the size of size=1.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
To be honest, it was just a little difficult to read. I'm used to this which is maybe like, twice the size of size=1.
Especially true for those forum readers who are not so young anymore. See presbyopia. "The first symptoms most people notice are difficulty reading fine print..."

Last edited by Pennhaven; 08-16-2011 at 01:32 PM.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:19 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennhaven View Post
Especially true for for those forum readers who are not so young anymore. See presbyopia. "The first symptoms most people notice are difficulty reading fine print..."
But I'm too young to die! Oh I may be overacting...

Old 08-16-2011, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideways View Post
I would stay well clear of anything that relies on artist's names to sell their products. Beats by dre, soul by ludacris and the like are all overhyped, overpriced garbage in my book. There is a whole thread dedicated to ripping on them.

Of those you listed, sennheiser, plantronics and nokia are ones I have personal experience with. Sennheiser and plantronics both do audio pretty much exclusively and should offer good compatibility. Nokia being nokia will be more phone (nokia) centric, so take that into consideration.

Bose is a little meh (overpriced) and I didn't even know akg made bluetooth stuff.

Off topic
General rule of thumb about changing fonts and colors for forum posts is don't. Unless it adds value to the content someone will disagree with your aesthetic decisions. It also breaks up the ebb and flow of text for the person reading it.
Sorry ppl for the small text. I won't anymore
I will have to build a list potential models because as for now, I only have 3 to compare with. The reason I want some more is that I may not buy them new if there are some used (good condition) available on ebay or elsewhere.

I will start this list of potential headphones that meet all my requirements as by tomorrow.
The list I provided in my first post was not actually valid since I only verified the Senheiser models. These meet 100% of my requirements so far.
Again if you have any in mind, let me know.

Thanks everyone

Old 08-16-2011, 05:34 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I just want to jump in with the Bose point sideways made. It isn't that they are bad, as sideways said, they are just overpriced. A lot of what you pay for with Bose is the name, and so they aren't always highest value. In my experience, they have been of decent quality, but you can usually find better phones cheaper.

And no worries about the font lol

Old 08-16-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
I just want to jump in with the Bose point sideways made. It isn't that they are bad, as sideways said, they are just overpriced. A lot of what you pay for with Bose is the name, and so they aren't always highest value. In my experience, they have been of decent quality, but you can usually find better phones cheaper.

And no worries about the font lol
Which model of Bose are we talking about here ?

Old 08-16-2011, 06:09 PM
Ultra Senior Member

There headphones are slightly decent I brought a pair of the earbud/IEM that sits in your ear and falls out at the same time and was greeted with bass.

Old 08-16-2011, 06:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

It was really a blanket statement. I've used some of my friends' phones in passing, and that was my impression. I don't know the models off the top of my head.

Confispect's got the sound sig down, you definitely get slapped in the face with the bass, generally. I think that a lot of companies make headphones that aren't that great but have a lot of bass because the general public can't discern phones with good bass from just bass-heavy phones.

Old 08-16-2011, 06:38 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
It was really a blanket statement. I've used some of my friends' phones in passing, and that was my impression. I don't know the models off the top of my head.

Confispect's got the sound sig down, you definitely get slapped in the face with the bass, generally. I think that a lot of companies make headphones that aren't that great but have a lot of bass because the general public can't discern phones with good bass from just bass-heavy phones.
Agreed the bass is a bit monstrous it needs no type of seal it with punch your face in. I remember someone raving about the model that came after it though.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:27 PM

please get back to the topic. I now filtered with Pantronic models and from their 369 makes, only 2 suit my needs: the Pulsar 590 and the .Audio 995 (not sur if this last one support bluetooth both for speaker and mic)

Old 08-16-2011, 09:45 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcabip View Post
please get back to the topic. I now filtered with Pantronic models and from their 369 makes, only 2 suit my needs: the Pulsar 590 and the .Audio 995 (not sur if this last one support bluetooth both for speaker and mic)
Everything said was on topic, and in fact, in response to one of your questions. I'm done here. Good luck to you, sir.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:29 PM

Default Mini transmitter RF headphone ?

Anyone know of a Wireless headphone (RF) for which the transmitter is as small as this ?:

been searching for an hour now and found nothing... these small transmitters are very common in wireless mouses.. but it seems like it's not so common for headphones. Let me know

Last edited by marcabip; 08-17-2011 at 11:29 PM.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:25 PM

Default Wireless headphone/headset with Mic

Trying to find out the best Wireless Headset (or headphone with mic)

The only requirements I have are:
  • I don't want Bluetooth transmission, I don't want IR transmission, I don't want a docking station either.
  • I need a microphone on the headphone/headset, and the smallest usb dongle possible for transmission.
  • Not to big, not too small (no earbud-no full over-ear)

The only reasons I don't want bluetooth is because of the known Video/Audio Sync issue found in any bluetooth headphones/headsets device, and the prices.

Here's a list of models I found so far (yea only one, im' just starting to search..):

-Plantronic .Audio 995 (2.4 Gh, 12meter, 8h / 8h Talk/Listen, 99.99$) Special feature: Noise cancelling mic

Last edited by marcabip; 08-18-2011 at 07:46 PM.