android
Old 08-14-2011, 02:54 PM

Default headphone overkill?

I've had my clip+ for a while and am very happy with it, but now I need your expertise to answer a question. I've become interested in getting a good, high-quality pair of headphones, having used a friend's sennhesier 600's and being absolutely blown away at the quality. I'm not going for anything quite that good - I don't have the budget - but I'm wondering, having a clip+ as my only music player, if getting 100$+ headphones would be more than the clip+ can really use. I know it's a good player, but it's still pretty cheap - does the clip+ play at high enough quality for a good pair of headphones (I'm looking at ATH-M50s) to be worth it?

Thanks!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-14-2011, 02:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yes.

Old 08-14-2011, 03:07 PM
Administrator

To downgrade your headphones with the belief that better quality headphones are more than the Clip+ can handle would be a bad idea IMO. Headphones are where you really find a difference in sound quality. That cheap player is as well respected as what it is because it can drive just about any headphones around. With some of the higher ohm 'phones things may be a bit quiet but what comes through is as good as it gets.

Old 08-14-2011, 03:16 PM

Great, thanks a lot! I think I'll go and get those headphones now - I just wanted to check and be sure before I did.

Old 08-14-2011, 03:31 PM
Administrator

From what I've read several places the Clip+ and the M50 are a very nice combo. I haven't had the chance to hear that setup but I've got the Senn HD 280 studio monitors I enjoy with my Clip+ quite a bit. People that have had both have said the M50 is a step up in the bass quantity and quality area. Once you get yours post back and let us know how it works for you.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:17 AM

Don't worry about it, the Clip+ has excelent sound quality as you can see here. Sometimes I use my Sennheiser HD555 with it, the Clip+ sings like a boss.

Though you should use Rockbox for it's pitch correction (you can see it measured in the link above), and also for it's many useful features.