Old 12-23-2014, 07:14 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Default New Sony M series?

Hey all, is this new?

http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/walkman/nwz-m504

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-23-2014, 11:17 AM
Administrator

Haven't seen it before. It's not available on the US Sony site.

I'm trying to think of what demographic Sony was targeting as they created this. I can't think of any obvious group. What I'm seeing is limited capacity and no obvious features that would make it worth the price. Maybe the killer feature is Bluetooth streaming in a small package?

Old 12-23-2014, 01:55 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hey skip I put this in the wrong forum, can you move it to Mp3 Player News?

Well I read somewhere that the bluetooth doesn't stream to wireless headphones/speakers, but it's for only communication to a smartphone :/ If that's the case it is quite rubbish.

Personally I am always on the lookout for small light mp3 players, 40g or under etc. This suits the gym and also work for me a lot better than 100g+ players.

But at 40g it actually is too heavy for what (size) it is. The i9+ is 40g and is quite a bit bigger with a heck of a lot more features!

Even the Cowon E3 is lighter than this.

Pros
Small, light
Bluetooth (apt-x)
NFC
S-Master MX digital amplifier (I get the feeling this is where it does better than most players it's size, and may be related to the weight of the device?)
Custom EQ (2 slots)
Clear Bass (DSPs etc)

Cons
8gb max
15hr battery life
USB2.0
129 quid (way overpriced)

If this was half the weight I would be quite interested, I can handle low storage capacity DAPs if they had a faster transfer rate. How I would treat the player would be drag n drop the songs I want to listen to that day across onto it, almost treating the player as a 'playlist' for the day of sorts, but at USB2.0 (and if anything like the abysmal other Sony Walkman i had) the speed is SLOOOooooowwwww...

I dreamed last night this existed in 32 and 128gb versions LOL!

EDIT: Well apparently there is a 16gb version M505

Old 12-26-2014, 03:34 PM
Ultra Senior Member

This in 32gb, with REAL BLUETOOTH usage, would be excellent!!!

Old 12-26-2014, 05:33 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I googled for a M506 and did get a hit, but still seems to be 16gb :/ Also Japanese only (no english menu possible).

Sony are real assholes sometimes, what's with doing it one way for one country and different for another >

Old 12-26-2014, 09:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Japan is the home country, and it gets top gear. The rest of us get what they decide to water down and give us. It's always that way,...

Old 12-27-2014, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Japan is the home country, and it gets top gear. The rest of us get what they decide to water down and give us. It's always that way,...
I think that mainly applies to the US - Sony electronics are widely available around the rest of the world.

I'm struggling to see the point in Bluetooth, though, in such a small device. If it gets 15 hours playing audio then it would likely see around 4 ot 5 using Bluetooth.

Old 12-27-2014, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBanner View Post
Sony are real assholes sometimes
Yes they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Man, I miss hanging out in Akihabara and seeing all the cool stuff that never makes it out.

Old 12-28-2014, 04:06 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeven View Post
I think that mainly applies to the US - Sony electronics are widely available around the rest of the world.

I'm struggling to see the point in Bluetooth, though, in such a small device. If it gets 15 hours playing audio then it would likely see around 4 ot 5 using Bluetooth.
I actually think I read somewhere that Bluetooth isn't killing the battery nearly as much as you rekon, I think it was quoted 10-12hrs, but even if it is down at 4-5hrs it's enough for the gym. Headphones will likely give out first I rekon.

This is clearly for the exerciser, bluetooth headphones, clips on you and away you go.

TBH I think small DAPs (except the clip) get such a hard time here. People need to understand we all listen to music differently. So many people invest in rigs and amps and listen at home. I have never listened to my i9+ at home. Some rigs people put together are imo not portable, and with smartphones being common today I don't understand the 100g+ DAPs. This small size player makes more sense to me, and it even pairs with yer smartphone so you can take calls on it, makes good sense to me. I want MORE small players sub 40g and onwards, that's where I think the market is nowadays for the masses. Ipod nano etc, but sadly I don't think the ipod nano has much competition these days

I wouldn't at all be surprised if this sounds better than a clip, and it has NFC and bluetooth (apt-x nonetheless), it'll appeal to those that don't need more than 8gb worth of gym tunes, not to mention risking damage or theft of their smartphone in the gym.

But having said all that, I still think it's too heavy. 40g is the same as a i9+ yet look what that can get you, and it's prolly more expensive than a i9+. Nice try Sony, I might pick you up in a sale but full RRP.... nah.

Old 01-01-2015, 03:00 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Imo this makes no sense at all. Not only is the capacity very limited at just 8GB, but the price is much too high for active use. When I am active I want to use a low priced player that I won't so much if it is damaged or broken. The Clip+(and Clip Zip if you can still get it at a low price) is much better for active use. The 4GB Clip+ at $35 is a great deal. I would even greatly prefer buying another Sandisk Clip Sport than this high priced Sony player, even considering the Sport's limitations.

I would love to see Sony come out with a $50 player with a card slot.

Old 01-01-2015, 05:39 PM
Administrator

What puzzles me is that the same site is offering the A15 for 169.00. It's somewhat larger, heavier and more expensive but it's also has a much more complete feature set. I simply couldn't see getting one of these at this price when the A15 is available.

Old 01-02-2015, 08:15 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Sony has a history of overpriced, outmoded technology, unfortunately.

Old 01-02-2015, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
Their flagship phones are pretty good. Same too with their wearables.

Old 01-02-2015, 04:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
Imo this makes no sense at all. Not only is the capacity very limited at just 8GB, but the price is much too high for active use. When I am active I want to use a low priced player that I won't so much if it is damaged or broken. The Clip+(and Clip Zip if you can still get it at a low price) is much better for active use. The 4GB Clip+ at $35 is a great deal. I would even greatly prefer buying another Sandisk Clip Sport than this high priced Sony player, even considering the Sport's limitations.

I would love to see Sony come out with a $50 player with a card slot.
Agree to disagree. As someone who is active bluetooth headphones can be very very appealing. Having a stick (albeit capped at 8-16gb) but has good bluetooth technology is certainly a massive benefit over the clips. I have tried the clip+ Jaybird module and u know what, it's a pain. Two items tethered, two items to charge... waste of money. From now on it has to have bluetooth in it for it to mean something.

But I understand that not all activity benefits from no cord, but some do and this is where this comes in very handy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
What puzzles me is that the same site is offering the A15 for 169.00. It's somewhat larger, heavier and more expensive but it's also has a much more complete feature set. I simply couldn't see getting one of these at this price when the A15 is available.
Agreed, the price is odd, either the A15-A17 are too cheap, I mean look at what their competition is priced at like the X5), or the stick is way overpriced...
U might as well get a A15 for not a few dollars more, only 20g extra weight more heaps more applications.

This stick is too heavy for what it is, I have a i9+ that weighs the same 40g and consider it to be the utmost really for gym use...

Nice try Sony, like I said, might grab one in a sale, no way RRP

Old 01-03-2015, 12:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

So is the bluetooth function like a bluetooth adapter pass through? If that
s the case call me intrigued. I've been waiting for a APT-X Sony adapter for some time. Wouldn't mind having a Sony MP3 player in the same package either.

Old 01-03-2015, 07:07 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeven View Post
Their flagship phones are pretty good. Same too with their wearables.
Just so you know, Sony DAPs and phones come from different divisions of Sony. The Walkman DAPs come from Sony Audio and the phones from Sony Mobile.

Not that it much matters in the US. Both their phones and DAP choices are so limited and poorly marketed they may as well not exist.

Old 01-08-2015, 02:12 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I'm pretty sure now that the bluetooth function on this device is purely for receiving and not sending, that's the final nail in the coffin for me, pass.

Old 03-23-2015, 12:21 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I decided to buy this thing when it went on sale for about 100 on Amazon.fr and I have to say I'm digging it quite a bit. Basically it's everything I would want to be hooked up to a set of headphones.

I am really enjoying the benefits of AptX now, it really did take Sony to put it's best forward for it to be done right. Before it was always difficult to gauge the benefits of it with headphones that had it, but I had never used before. Even if they came with a wired mode. Even with a different AptX bluetooth adapter it was hard, because that thing hissed like a mother... cat, that was seriously annoyed with you.

For me this is making my Clip pretty redundant. It's a player with a very clean interface, well thought out functions, although I am missing my old Sony NWZ-HD5 folder/album shuffle mode! The bluetooth is also very unintrusive, you can keep the thing paired to your phone while you use the built in player and accept calls. You can also pair up to 3 devices! Wooh, finally can just use the same headphones through my entire day. They also finally added a hold switch, which was needed since the MW600.

So for my needs this thing is perfect. Not even upset about no SD card slot. It's tethered to my phone which has anywhere up to 30gb of continuously updating podcasts and my tablet which has my entire music collection of 120gb so not really complaining about storage. AptX really makes the whole "wired or the sound is terrible!" argument pretty damn moot. If you can pick up problems with it I tip my nonexistent fedora to you.