android
Old 08-10-2011, 10:10 PM

Question Considering a Clip+, but have the battery issues been solved?

Hey guys, it's been a while since I've been on these forums.

Anyways, I've recently dumped my Archos 5 Android for a real tablet (Asus Transformer), and have now lost my solution to HQ music on the go (let's face it, phones suck. Even with PowerAMP on Android).

So I've been looking at the Sansa line again.
I'm really interested in getting the Clip+ since I had good experiences with the original clip and other Sansa products, but I've read too many bad forum posts and poor battery life and manufacture defects.

So my question is:
Has it been fixed? If not, then will Rockbox'ing it fix the problem?
I'm going to Rockbox it regardless for more SQ, but just curious.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-10-2011, 10:26 PM
Administrator

If you're reading about the early run of the original Clip there were some problems I read about. I never experienced them with any I had. I haven't read many of those about the Clip+. If you linked to what it is you're reading that might help.

The battery life can be better with Rockbox but it can't fix a defective battery. As always battery life is dependent on how a DAP is used. The OF doesn't seem to be optimized for Vorbis or FLAC playback and the battery life is lower than with .mp3. That's reversed in Rockbox where the battery life is somewhat better both with Vorbis and FLAC.

BTW people come to forums to complain about issues and find solutions, not say everything is great. What you read here isn't representative of the average users experience.

Old 08-10-2011, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
BTW people come to forums to complain about issues and find solutions, not say everything is great. What you read here isn't representative of the average users experience.
Well of course, which is why I am here addressing my concerns and asking questions.

Here are some links to other users claiming to have problems:
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=49066
http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Sansa-...owViewpoints=1
(first review down the list)
http://www.hifivision.com/portable-a...tml#post152802
(2nd post)

Old 08-10-2011, 11:14 PM

Rockbox can not overcome the physical limitations of the battery. A small battery will never give you as much run time as a large batter. I think 8-14 hours is par for the course. Mine was on the lower end of that scale.

As for the build quality I can't say. Mine had the volume rocker break but many others have had a good run out of theirs. I don't blame the mfg, I was never easy on my electronics.

Old 08-11-2011, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideways View Post
I think 8-14 hours is par for the course. Mine was on the lower end of that scale.
This is where most of my concern roots from. Why is there so much variation? Even when people test under the same condition?

In any case, could anyone here recommend getting Clip+ (/w Rockbox) over the J3 in terms of SQ/Cost ratio?

Old 08-11-2011, 01:49 AM

With only SQ and Price in your Utility function, you would have to place a lot of emphasis on SQ for the trade off in price to be worth it. You would have to be damn near crazy since the baseline SQ difference is minimal. Any player worth it's salt will give you an accurate representation of sound. The difference will be in the EQ and peripherals.

Now on the other hand if you throw battery life, build quality, size and weight considerations, etc etc into the equation it becomes much more complex of an equation. Not one I would care to solve and also not one I could solve without knowing how you rank the utility of those inputs.

That said if there is a budget constraint (within sane limits) and you are also looking to upgrade your headphones your indifference curve will likely be maximized by getting the clip plus and a good set of IEM's or headphones. Or something like that.

Last edited by sideways; 08-11-2011 at 01:55 AM.

Old 08-11-2011, 01:54 AM

Thanks for the input sideways. I think I will definitely go with the Clip+ then.

I currently have a pair of Klipsch S4 with comply foam tips and a Sennheiser HD555. I hope that's enough to get me there.

My FiiO E5 is on the side just incase I don't get enough juice from any player.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:01 AM

That indifference curve maximization only works with SQ and price being the only considerations. And I suppose the utility depends on how you value money as well. Lots of money to throw around, go for the j3.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideways View Post
That indifference curve maximization only works with SQ and price being the only considerations. And I suppose the utility depends on how you value money as well. Lots of money to throw around, go for the j3.
lol, You have no idea how much I miss my S9.
I sold it to get an Archos 5A, that was bad. The S9 should have been a keeper.
I'm terrible; right now I'm settling with my Creative X-fi crystalizer. It's almost like BBE ... lol!

Old 08-11-2011, 02:26 AM

Almost

Tags
battery life problems, clip+, sansa