android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 08-09-2011, 10:36 AM

Default Looking for closed headphones (IEMs ?) - portable use

Hi,

I'm currently looking for some closed headphones (or possibly iem ?) to replace my Sleek Audio SA6 IEMs.

I really enjoyed the sound of my SA6s and tried to replace them with Shure 425 but found them much too flat (lack of oomph !).

I don't know anything about headphones but I'm wondering if it could be an alternative to IEMs ?

I'm looking for good isolation; i'll use them exclusively for portable use (bus, train).

I've got a Cowon S9 and I listen to all kind of music : hard rock, pop rock, metal, jazz, blues, classical, rap, ... pretty much anything but rnb and techno.

My budget limit should be somewhere around 250 (~$350).

So here you go, do you know any headphones (or possibly IEMs) that match SA6s' signature and provide good isolation for portable use in that price range ?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-09-2011, 11:33 AM
Ultra Senior Member

ATH-M50 is the darling of the moment and is considerably under your price range at $160.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDvsEGO View Post
ATH-M50 is the darling of the moment and is considerably under your price range at $160.
I got mine for $125 shipped a few weeks ago. I still find myself using IEM's for portable use, but then the fact that it is in 110s here might have something to do with not wanting to use closed headphones. Soundwise, I have little to compare against except IEMs, which sound totally different. But they do sound great.

Old 08-10-2011, 02:38 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnhardwick View Post
I got mine for $125 shipped a few weeks ago. I still find myself using IEM's for portable use, but then the fact that it is in 110s here might have something to do with not wanting to use closed headphones. Soundwise, I have little to compare against except IEMs, which sound totally different. But they do sound great.
I win. Got mine for $98 total. Brand new, nice shiny box.

While they are phenomenal, I'm sure that you can find even better ones if you want to spend more money. Definitely great bang for the buck. They have my steadfast recommendation.

Old 08-10-2011, 06:16 AM
Ultra Senior Member

ummm...where? I am going to pick up a set soon so help a brother out. and if you guys are talking about a few months ago, not muchhelp. they used to be 100-110 all the time. price went up as demand did.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:39 AM

Try here, just remember to use discount code.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:12 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Try here, just remember to use discount code.
Even with a discount code that is no sale price - pass!!!

They have them cheaper on Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...+m50&x=26&y=10

Still not the best pricing tho,...

Old 08-10-2011, 10:10 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
ummm...where? I am going to pick up a set soon so help a brother out. and if you guys are talking about a few months ago, not muchhelp. they used to be 100-110 all the time. price went up as demand did.
I did get them a couple months ago, and I can't find the page that I got them from. If you Google product it, there's a couple really cheap ones that say they're new, but I haven't bought from these people, so I don't know if it's legit.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Even with a discount code that is no sale price - pass!!!

They have them cheaper on Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...+m50&x=26&y=10

Still not the best pricing tho,...
What do you mean? After discount code it is $109 + shipping? How is that worse than $146 from Amazon?

Old 08-10-2011, 10:43 AM
Ultra Senior Member

shipping is about $12 for me so it would be $121. Def better than $159. thanks!

Old 08-10-2011, 10:50 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
What do you mean? After discount code it is $109 + shipping? How is that worse than $146 from Amazon?
Hmmm, so what's the code? I've had insomnia for almost 3 days so I'm kinda lost ATM. Especially since that price would be excellent - almost a steal!

Old 08-10-2011, 10:52 AM
Ultra Senior Member

These are definitely the next headphones I want to get, if you can get them with a cord less than 10 feet long. Unfortunately, my work hours appear to be drying up, so I probably won't be getting any new headphones for a while.

Old 08-10-2011, 11:10 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Hmmm, so what's the code? I've had insomnia for almost 3 days so I'm kinda lost ATM. Especially since that price would be excellent - almost a steal!
even though its a bright yellow box on the product listing, I messed it the first time around...

1-ATH-M50s-SAVE60
1-ATH-M50-SAVE60
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cg...tegory=coupons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
These are definitely the next headphones I want to get, if you can get them with a cord less than 10 feet long. Unfortunately, my work hours appear to be drying up, so I probably won't be getting any new headphones for a while.
I will be modding my cord, that thing is ridiculous for portable use.

Old 08-10-2011, 11:28 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I don't mind having the coiled cord. I fold it up and put it in my pocket, and it's just fine. Now pesky soldering at all.

Old 08-10-2011, 12:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I always wanted to hear the Sa6 what is it's sound sig?

Old 08-10-2011, 03:49 PM

Well, I've never heard the M50s, but judging from the pics, I would say they are more transportable than truly portable. How about some HD 25-1s or TMA-1s? Maybe the DT 1350? The EX 600 is a REAL bargain right now, $132 for those IEMs is a steal. If you feel like spending some more and prefer IEMs, I have heard some good things about the IE8 too (they have a lot of bass), but they seem to be a bit of 'love or hate' IEMs.

Addendum: Dude, with a $350 budget, you can get almost anything portable, no need to settle with the M50, specially if you like bass (like you seem to do). If the M50 is 'portable' for you, what about the PRO 700 Mk II? It's one of the headphones with the most bass. (ok, according to the headfonia guy, that happens to be a complete nutjob (you know, the kind that says an amp is 'toe-tapping', the hype-fi kind), but others have already praised their bass).

DISCLAIMER: Out of my list, I have only heard the HD 25-1, since I own them, (sorry, newbie audio enthusiast here, I would like to be able to do more for you ) but the others I listed are heavily recommended.

Yet Another Addendum: Do you use EQ with your S9? Posting your settings would help us to determine your preferred sound sig.

'Oh God I Can't Read' Addendum: OOOOH, you had the SA6s. Well, I'm pretty sure anything sub $200 would probably be a downgrade, considering the SA6s are pretty expensive IEMs (although that doesn't have to mean anything considering the amount of scams floating around, but some research showed me they are apparently really good). Which port did you use with them? Really, if you liked their sound signature, I would say to stick with Sleek and get the SA6-R. Otherwise, I wouldn't really know. A quick search through hype-fi told me they have 'really good mids and highs' and 'airy sound' so you should look at something in that range. Maybe the CK10s? They seem to be very durable IEMs, metal housing and all, so if that was a problem with the SA6s, maybe you should look at them. The Miles Davis Trumpets/Tributes are supposed to be killer for jazz (and they also happen to look pretty darn cool if you ask me), so if you really like the genre, that's a definite plus. I'm sure someone with more experience than me will be able to help you.

Last edited by Cain; 08-10-2011 at 04:35 PM.

Old 08-11-2011, 04:45 AM

Thanks for your replies !

I actually use EQ with my S9 :
80Hz - 6
300Hz - 7
1.1kHz - 6
4.1kHz - 8
13kHz - 7

BBE+ 5
Mach3Bass 2
3D Surround 2
MP Enhance On

Stereo Enhance 4
Reverb Off

I would love to put my hands on SA6R but they don't seem to be available anywhere ?

The SA6's were my first IEMs and more or less my first real earphones (another newbie audio enthusiast ), so I wouldn't be able to accurately caracterize them.
All I can say is that the Shure 425 seemed to me very flat and somewhat boring. Perhaps a small lack of bass, but overall a lack of oomph !

I'm not 100% sure but I think I was only using =/= bass and treble components for my SA6s.

Old 08-11-2011, 01:20 PM

I'm a bit confused: you augment each of the bands by at least 6db? That's seems pretty...extreme to me. Well, I think you like a V-shaped sound sig so...Denons? (Addendum II: Ok, another quick search shows me that the Denons in your price range are the 2000s, apparently very boring headphones. So, I think you ought to skip the Denons.)

A very quick, superficial search suggests the TF10 as a fun sounding IEM. Really, I'm mostly helping you search (and filter through all the BS in the reviews), since I can't directly help you due to the lack of experience.

Addendum: Ok, here's a very nice, reliable review of the DT 770 Pro 80 (Ohms). Apparently, they have just the fun sound you are looking for! The extra cash could get you a nice E7 (slightly weaker amp, but has a DAC. Portable) or E9 (the better amp, but no DAC. Desktop.) amp, to help drive those beasts!

Last edited by Cain; 08-11-2011 at 01:36 PM.

Old 08-11-2011, 01:23 PM
Ultra Senior Member

would the following settings yield the same results?

80Hz - 0
300Hz - 1
1.1kHz - 0
4.1kHz - 2
13kHz - 1

Old 08-11-2011, 01:26 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
would the following settings yield the same results?

80Hz - 0
300Hz - 1
1.1kHz - 0
4.1kHz - 2
13kHz - 1
Theoretically. You also need to consider the other enhancements he uses like Mach3Bass. And maybe he's already got the volume all the way up and still wants a little extra oomph.