android
Old 08-08-2011, 04:56 AM

Page sennheiser hd595 mic modification

Hi

I am a new member here from across the pond in the UK.

I am hoping to get some advise based on the forum members expertise in studio equipment, accessories, brand awareness, DIY self builds and good old common sense.

This forum looks very active, so please forgive me if my questions seem noobish

I own a pair of sennheiser hd595s which I use only for gaming on my xbox 360. The soundstage on these are great for providing spatial awareness and they just sound so damn good.

To drive these I use the Astro 2010 Mix Amp which processes dolby virtual surround sound so I get that 5.1 feeling.

I would like to modify these to include a microphone so I can chat to my friends whilst gaming online. This is more a labour of love so I would like
this modification to be professional and sleek as possible.

This modification has been done before, but for weeks I have been getting no replies from my questions (wiring procedures and stuff needed to do the modification) by the chap who does them. Here is his picture album of his work. Looks Great!

Questions to follow:

1. What cables would I need? (Canare, Mogami, Van Damme, Belden, Redco)
2. What mic would I need? (This seems to be one for gaming applications)
3. What Jack and connectors do I need? (In the picture album it looks like Lemo pushpull connectors, Netruik 4 3.5mm 4 Jack Poles)
4. How do I go about the wiring?

In the UK the main retailer to buy accessories are:
http://www.canford.co.uk/
http://cpc.farnell.com/

Thanks

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-08-2011, 05:51 AM

I'm curious why you ask these questions here as the mod was done by tommybwoy on that other forum, why not ask the source?

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 08-08-2011, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
I'm curious why you ask these questions here as the mod was done by tommybwoy on that other forum, why not ask the source?
As I said in my post mate, I've not been getting any replies from the source.

I've been asking on various forums even GeekSlutz which are a dedicated Studio Equipment forum and I have not been getting anywhere.

Tommyboy (source) is now doing this as a side business, so what was once a hobby to help the community has turned into a business venture so it's understandable that he does not want to provide a wiring diagram and a method on how to paint/replace the Sennhesier headband which on the HD595's is a leather type material.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:38 AM

not sure where you sent your email, but I am pretty sure that you didn't email me. I have written plenty of tutorials and provided diagrams in the past. Anyway, hope things went alright with the mod.

btw.. i would never paint a leather headband... you could use acrylic water based paint on it just fine, but you really couldn't clearcoat the paint on leather.. so no protection for the paint.

as for a diagram.. not really much point in a diagram to be honest. the goal is to improve the audio quality, while at the same time add mic functionality without adding noise. i could tell you how i usually do it, but i don't always wire the same way. everything depends on how things sound, is there feedback?, and if so steps need to be taken to eliminate that. point is you really need to understand what you are doing before diving in. i don't mean any disrespect by what i just typed, I just firmly believe in doing some research before starting a project... in the long run you get an understanding for what you are doing, and should be able to find the solution that best fits your plans.

again, if you did email me, apologies if I overlooked you... wasn't intentional

tommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by majnu View Post
As I said in my post mate, I've not been getting any replies from the source.

I've been asking on various forums even GeekSlutz which are a dedicated Studio Equipment forum and I have not been getting anywhere.

Tommyboy (source) is now doing this as a side business, so what was once a hobby to help the community has turned into a business venture so it's understandable that he does not want to provide a wiring diagram and a method on how to paint/replace the Sennhesier headband which on the HD595's is a leather type material.