android
Old 08-05-2011, 11:18 AM

Default Clip+ is toast...suggestions for new player

My Clip+ is toast, doesn't turn on, doesn't charge, computer doesn't even recognize anything is plugged in.

Anyone got any suggestions for a new small MP3 player (any manufacturer)? Is a new Clip being introduced any time soon? I may go with another Clip+ although I also had a first gen Clip too and I thought the design/manufacturing of the Clip+ was a step backwards.

Thanks, and keep rockin'

Eric

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-05-2011, 11:36 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theeric View Post
I may go with another Clip+ although I also had a first gen Clip too and I thought the design/manufacturing of the Clip+ was a step backwards.

Thanks, and keep rockin'

Eric
I actually thought it was an improvement over the original. I would say that in that price range, the Clip+ is still unbeatable.

Old 08-05-2011, 01:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I'd say get another clip+,...

Old 08-05-2011, 02:08 PM

You could try Nationite NaNite N2 on mp4nation.net. They seem to be a pretty good deal as they are bundled with the Brainwavz IEM's. They have microsd supporting up to 32 GB, built in amplifier (probably fiio e3 or e5 quality) and BBE sound enhancements. You can get the 4GB Nationite NaNite N2 with the brainwavz Beta for $55 which I believe is on pair for sansa clip+ pricing:

http://mp4nation.net/catalog/index.p...07b9057c7139b0

I think it looks physically nice but do you guys think it looks to good to be true for it to be ballpark range for sansa sound quality but with BBE sound enhancements?

Not a lot of people on this forum have experience with this player so a lot of us would love it if you gave you're impressions of the player if you decide to get one.

Last edited by nathan; 08-05-2011 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Forgot to include the link

Old 08-05-2011, 02:08 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The past two years Sandisk came out with a new player at the start of September. Since the Clip+ is 2 years old, the guess is that a replacement for (or updated version)
of the Clip+ will be out in a month. I will probably wait a month or more before buying a new player. I haven't bought a player in almost 2 years.

Old 08-05-2011, 02:19 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
The past two years Sandisk came out with a new player at the start of September. Since the Clip+ is 2 years old, the guess is that a replacement for (or updated version)
of the Clip+ will be out in a month. I will probably wait a month or more before buying a new player. I haven't bought a player in almost 2 years.
Here's hoping their effort this year is better than the Fuze+ was last year.

Old 08-05-2011, 02:34 PM

I just felt the original Clip felt a little more robust to me: I believe the back piece was a different material (maybe some sort of alloy), I thought the fits around the buttons were tighter, and I like having a button lock.

Another Clip+ sounds like the way to go.

To each their own!

Old 08-05-2011, 02:39 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Sandisk sold the Clip's predecessor the m200 for something like 4 years, so I wouldn't be surprised to see the Clip+ stick around for a while longer. Although at some point a Clip+ v2 will probably happen.

Old 08-05-2011, 05:12 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I would like to see a version of the Clip+ with longer battery life and micro SDXC card support. Improving the screen(either to make it more easily readible, or lower power consumption so it can be on all the time while player is on with minimal power usage(like a digital watch screen)). Adding a second card slot would be cool, although I doubt we will see that anytime soon(even if the player is made slightly larger).

Old 08-05-2011, 05:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

theeric

Here in Ontario Canada you can get a refurbished original Clip from Factory Direct.

Of course you probably don't live in Ontario Canada.

Steve

Old 08-05-2011, 06:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Here's hoping their effort this year is better than the Fuze+ was last year.
Amen.

Old 08-06-2011, 04:32 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I would like to see a version of the Clip+ with longer battery life and micro SDXC card support. Improving the screen(either to make it more easily readible, or lower power consumption so it can be on all the time while player is on with minimal power usage(like a digital watch screen)). Adding a second card slot would be cool, although I doubt we will see that anytime soon(even if the player is made slightly larger).
Just curious as why you would need a second card slot

Old 08-06-2011, 06:45 AM

Faced with the same question last week, I went for a Sansa Fuze V2.

If we're talking ideal MP3 players, then I'd take:
- the AA battery, looks, screen and user interface from my iRiver iFP 300
- the microSD slot, sound quality and rockbox compatibility from the Clip+

Old 08-06-2011, 11:40 AM
Ultra Senior Member

A second card slot allows more storage. It would be nice to have a card with music and and separate one with podcasts, or else having two cards with different types of podcasts. Swapping cards is very annoying, and it is so easy to drop or lose a micro SDHC card, so I want to try to avoid swapping cards while walking around. I guess another solution is carrying a second Clip+.

Old 08-06-2011, 01:44 PM
Ultra Senior Member

If you are interested in different models, I would wait until mid-Fall (like, October) before buying, if you can--manufacturers seem to bring out new models by then, seemingly for December holiday sales.

If another Clip+ might do you, Meritline.com has 4GB and 8GB refurbs available for US $27 and $45 (along with nonrefurb models). Shipping is free and, if this is like other items Meritline.com sells, worldwide.

Old 08-06-2011, 01:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
A second card slot allows more storage. It would be nice to have a card with music and and separate one with podcasts, or else having two cards with different types of podcasts. Swapping cards is very annoying, and it is so easy to drop or lose a micro SDHC card, so I want to try to avoid swapping cards while walking around. I guess another solution is carrying a second Clip+.
I would love to have a second slot on my Clip+--I could carry my entire collection of music, rather than have the agonizing choice of what to leave off of it.

Of course, I would far prefer a Clip+ Ultra with 80GB or more of on-board storage, along with a slot as well ...

Old 08-06-2011, 05:36 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
I would love to have a second slot on my Clip+--I could carry my entire collection of music, rather than have the agonizing choice of what to leave off of it.

Of course, I would far prefer a Clip+ Ultra with 80GB or more of on-board storage, along with a slot as well ...
... A hard drive clip? Flash only gets up to 64GB...

Old 08-07-2011, 09:13 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
If another Clip+ might do you, Meritline.com has 4GB and 8GB refurbs available for US $27 and $45 (along with nonrefurb models). Shipping is free and, if this is like other items Meritline.com sells, worldwide.
Or, even better, US $39 for the refurb 8GB, with coupon code MLC0805N for the first 500 orders.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:10 PM
Ultra Senior Member

"A hard drive clip? Flash only gets up to 64GB... "

That will change with SDXC. Micro SDXC cards will start at 64GB, so I guess a player that can hold 128GB(64 GB internal, 64GB card memory) might become available within the next 12 months. It is likely to be larger than a Clip+ though, and over $100.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

It will be a lot more than $100....lol.