android
Old 08-03-2011, 02:48 PM

Default Upgrading Sansa memory to 8 GB-is it possible?

Hi all,
Does anyone know if I could take a working memory chip out of a dead 8 GB Sansa e280 and use it to upgrade a Sansa e250, e260, etc? In other words, could I swap out the little detachable circuit board in the smaller player and double or quadruple my memory? Has anyone done a successful memory upgrade in that manner? Would the memory in a Rhapsody model be compatible with the non-Rhapsody Sansa e-series? Thanks in advance.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-03-2011, 02:50 PM

I recall reading about someone who did that successfully, it might be in a very old thread in the e200 forums.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 08-03-2011, 04:05 PM

I did some hunting and I believe I've found the thread to which you were referring. Many thanks. If I'm understanding it correctly the only difference in the 250-280 e-series is the capacity of the little memory board ( and of course the firmware). If anyone else has any thoughts I'd appreciate hearing them.

Old 08-03-2011, 04:14 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Keep in mind this only works on the e200v1. The v2 has the memory soldered in place so you can't swap it.

Old 08-03-2011, 04:15 PM
Administrator

I'm going to encourage that you search the e200 forum. My first hit after your post today using the term "swap" http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...highlight=swap.

There's tons of info in there and just not many members around that will be able to give you first hand knowledge of what's possible with the Sansa e2xx series. It's one of the reason we encourage members to use descriptive thread titles. It makes the site much more searchable.

That's like the e2xx Rhapsody models question. IIRC the Rhapsody models had different hardware so I doubt anything would be swappable. However I don't know that for sure so I'd search that if you want to be certain.

Old 08-03-2011, 04:16 PM

Thanks, I've only worked with the v1's so I wasn't aware of that.

Old 08-03-2011, 04:25 PM

Sorry, Skip252, I only did a cursory search and did not think to use the search term "swap" before I posted - I'll try to search more thoroughly next time - appreciate you guys providing this service.

Old 08-03-2011, 04:35 PM
Administrator

Hey, not mad ya. Just letting you know there's a LOT of Sansa E2xx info here. I'm used to searching around here and I probably remember that search term from searching for that same information in the past.

It's just that unless one of the long timers kicks in you may wait a long time for readily available info. Kind of frustrating that you can't do searches of less than 3 characters from within the site. If you're looking for information that falls into that category it's actually better to google it from the outside and include the site's name in the search. It usually leads you right where you need to be here in the site.

Old 08-03-2011, 04:50 PM

You're absolutely right about using Google - thanks for the tip. This forum has really helped me in the past - often you don't find the important info included in the owner's manuals - like how to do a hard reset when your player freezes up.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:42 PM

I'm an old timer and as long as you're dealing with the V1 then all you have to do is swap out the memory board... very easy.

Old 09-04-2011, 02:07 PM

As stated numerous time above, as long as you're taking the board from a v1 and putting it in a v1, it'll work. same applies for v2. i remember back when i was first active on here(before my e250 broke) there was a post about buying an e250 and an e280(or something) switching the boards and returning the e280 with the e250 board. oh and it's great tgo be back abi community! haha