android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 08-03-2011, 03:26 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Default battle of the Meelectronics steals: A151 vs CC51

There are 2 really good deals floating around out there on some new Meelecs. The A151 is marked down from $80 to $45 with free shipping and the CC51 marked down from $80 to $40+shipping...so about the same price. Anyone have experience with either or preferably both that could help someone make a decision?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-03-2011, 03:37 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I use the A151s and stand by my review, they've held up fine but I do take care of IEMs/phones. Haven't tried the CC51s but I've heard good things about them.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 08-03-2011, 05:16 PM

When both these phones came out I was excited because I thought it was highly probable that you would later be able to find them for half their listed price like the m6 and a few of their other older models. They're also around the same price on amazon.

Unfortunately I can't find them for that price available to ship to Canada. Perhaps in the near future. But yeah, most reviews say that their original price is an outstanding value and from my own experience, Meelectronic has incredible customer service.

Last edited by nathan; 08-03-2011 at 05:20 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 08-03-2011, 07:11 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Not to go off topic too far but I thought to mention the MEE M31s as they have a fun sound with good bass quantity and very acceptable overall sound signature. I saw them on amazon.com for $30.57 and for that price their worth trying out if you love bass. http://www.amazon.com/MEElectronics-.../dp/B004OBZ2V8

Old 08-03-2011, 09:46 PM

They are both equally good.

A151's strength's include that very good cable, fatigue free signature, but it is darker. CC51 offers better isolation, has more bass quantity (not by much), warmer mids, better treble, but as you know will lose out in speed against the BA.

My A151 is still with a friend (?) for about 2-3 months now, so that's as far as I am willing to trust my memory. However, don't think I'll prefer CC51 hugely over A151, just by a tiny bit.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:29 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esanthosh View Post
They are both equally good.

A151's strength's include that very good cable, fatigue free signature, but it is darker. CC51 offers better isolation, has more bass quantity (not by much), warmer mids, better treble, but as you know will lose out in speed against the BA.

My A151 is still with a friend (?) for about 2-3 months now, so that's as far as I am willing to trust my memory. However, don't think I'll prefer CC51 hugely over A151, just by a tiny bit.
Nice comparison, I've not tried the CC51 so I can not comment on them but you did state they have a better isolation and I just wanted to throw in that if you use better tips that can be improved (nozzle size: 3mm). I replaced the included tips with shure foam tips and the isolation is much better than the included flimsy tips. Also the included double flange tips are way better for isolation as well but not as good as the shures.

I feel the bass impact with the A151s is good and precise, it's just not all that deep but it does offer good texture. Rather than continue explaining it here, I'll just quote my review from here "... Overall I find the bass enjoyable, and I believe this precision or control is due to the lower midrange helping out, as the lower bass does not extend all the way down. This might be inherent with this specific single armature not able to offer the full range of frequencies in the sub-bass and upper treble regions. Although you certainly can say the bass is clear and well defined to certain physical limitations. ..." That said, I'm still using mine and find they fun and accurate enough to really enjoy at these reduced prices ...

Old 08-04-2011, 11:16 AM
Ultra Senior Member

so who wants to just send me a pair of each so I can test?

I am leaning towards the cc51 just because the over ear and deep insertion style IEMs like the a151 kind of drive me batty at times. I do have spare Shure Olives though so that might improve it. Sound signature I think i may be leaning towards the a151...total user experience may push me towards the cc51 though. Of course, my luck will be that once my finances are freed up in a month or so, neither will be available at these prices.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:19 PM

Don't worry about that! As is the case with M6 last year, they will always be available around these prices - though not necessarily on a continuous basis. You might at worst need to wait for sometime after your finances are freed up. More time to research and make up your mind

Old 08-07-2011, 09:04 AM

I owned the CC51 for a few days before I returned it. My reason for returning it had to do with build quality, which sadly was not the best. The ceramic housings themselves were tough, but the way the nozzle connected to them was not as it separated after only a day of use. To be fair, it was likely just a defective pair, and some strong glue would have solved the problem, but honestly, I just did not feel comfortable the long term durability after that. A big part of that also comes from the thin cable the CC51 uses. If it just used the standard MEElectronics cable all would be well, but instead it use a cable that reminds me of the cable used on the Apple stock earbods, but thinner and cheaper feeling. Which, while I hate to say since looks do not really matter that much, really brings down a great looking IEM. Build aside though, I the sound signature was nice. If MEElectronics were to revise the CC51 I would get it again. In the end though, I decided to stick with the A151 for its amazing cable. And the BA sound is starting to grow on me. After finding the right tips my only real grip is the treble is just too tame some times. I will probably have to look for a brighter replacement down the road.