android
Old 08-15-2011, 07:32 PM

Fiio apparently doesn't count because they're "toys" and "a joke". I don't know if that means they're taking you seriously or not...

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-15-2011, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickronin View Post
Fiio apparently doesn't count because they're "toys" and "a joke". I don't know if that means they're taking you seriously or not...
Heck, everything is a joke if you are enough of an audiosnob. I've heard people dismissing a $400 Schitt Lyr (that, as far as I'm aware, is a pretty damn good amp) as a toy too. I'm sure that to people that have Wadias and Odin cables, even boutique, "fashionable" amps are shit.

Last edited by Cain; 08-15-2011 at 07:48 PM.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:37 PM

I like ODA, but that's just because of Hiroyuki ODA. He makes some of the most delicious trance music around... <3

Old 08-15-2011, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Heck, everything is a joke if you are enough of an audiosnob. I've heard people dismissing a $400 Schitt Lyr (that, as far as I'm aware, is a pretty damn good amp) as a toy too. I'm sure that to people that have Wadias and Odin cables, even boutique, "fashionable" amps are shit.
Well once those kinds of people sever their perception of quality from any sort of quantifiable performance just about all they have left to base their opinions on is price and peer pressure.

There's no end to the arrogance.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:41 PM

Before the moderators have to step in again and delete more posts we should probably try to get back to the O2

Old 08-15-2011, 09:16 PM

I've published a new AC and Battery power THD+N vs Output graph in the first article for the V1.1 board and it starts at 10mV instead of zero (which made the low power THD+N look higher than it is due to the way the points are interpolated). I also added a missing graph of the distortion at 10 mV, which is only 0.0019%. The max voltage went down a bit into the high impedance loads on battery as these batteries are probably at 70% vs aboug 95% last time but everything else is virtually identical.

Last edited by NwAvGuy; 08-15-2011 at 09:42 PM.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:57 PM
Redneck Moderator

FiiO is easy to purchase though. I hate to put it like this but marketing is a very big deal, and I know you know this. But the reason the FiiO sold so many units is because of its price, and it wasn't to terrible of a unit. And its not just marketing, I can go to a website, click 'add to cart' and enter my card info and it will show up in a matter of days.

A unit that someone has to assemble themselves wont sell nearly as much. But with hope there will be people putting your creation to market, as I myself will be willing to do it for individuals if the demand is there. I wont be able to do tens of thousands but I will do what I can for a fair price.

Ruger M77 , Howa 1500 , Czech Republic 452-2E
Ruger .22 Single Six, Springfield Armory XD-9 , Springfield Armory XD45ACP
2007 Elite Archery Synergy

Gamo CFX, Gamo PT80
Large Rock

Need your headphones fixed or something soldered? Syndrome's Soldering Service

Old 08-16-2011, 02:19 AM

I think the first company, cleared by the inventor of the Objective 2, who puts this reference amp for sale on ebay, worldwide shipping, will make a lot of sales and money. And I expect to see the objective 2 for sale on ebay allready in september some time.

Old 08-16-2011, 04:28 AM

Beduin, keep you eyes peeled for a commercial offering

In the mean time, peeps should get their mits on a GB PCB! See the thread over at DIYaudio:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group...lifier-gb.html

Old 08-16-2011, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beduin View Post
I think the first company, cleared by the inventor of the Objective 2, who puts this reference amp for sale on ebay, worldwide shipping, will make a lot of sales and money. And I expect to see the objective 2 for sale on ebay allready in september some time.
Just think, had he not spent the last week bashing it, that could have been AMB!

Old 08-16-2011, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Freeborn View Post
In the mean time, peeps should get their mits on a GB PCB! See the thread over at DIYaudio:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group...lifier-gb.html
The above group buy is located in the UK. I also have a vendor in Asia interested and one in the USA but no details yet.

It's somewhat a chicken and egg issue. The vendors, understandably, don't want to risk paying to have a run of boards made if there won't be enough demand. Some of them want to see what the demand is going to be. But if there are no boards available then people can't start building the O2, listening to it, and hopefully saying good things about it, generating more demand.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:06 AM

If there could be a preorderlist for a finnished product too? Then the vendor could start building it when they find the preorder to be profitable. The price must also be known, to a certain extent, so people know approximately what they have to pay.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beduin View Post
If there could be a preorderlist for a finnished product too? Then the vendor could start building it when they find the preorder to be profitable. The price must also be known, to a certain extent, so people know approximately what they have to pay.
I have at least two vendors interested in offering a pre-assembled board, but neither, understandably, yet wants to take the considerable financial risk in having a batch built up (at least several thousand dollars).

One vendor is looking into some sort of pre-order option but it's not something they've ever done before. They have to be able to take orders, authorize but not charge the credit cards, and then be able to reverse all those transactions if they don't get enough orders by the deadline. Most small shopping cart systems are set up to immediately charge the card.

But, as others have said, once some O2's make it into the wild and hopefully start generating more positive buzz, it should only be a matter of time before more companies are willing to take a risk on it. If it's well liked, and things can get that far, the little O2 snowball should roll down the snow covered hill nicely from there

Old 08-16-2011, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Freeborn View Post
Beduin, keep you eyes peeled for a commercial offering
Please excuse my stalking and google-fu, but that statement made me curious...

This is what we should keep an eye on - http://www.epiphany-acoustics.co.uk/ ?

Old 08-16-2011, 10:15 AM

Indeed, dfkt.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:38 AM

There's a couple errors on the mechanical drawing with respect to the hole diameters in the panel (the "d=xxx" numbers). Hopefully nobody has ordered, or made, any panels yet. And even if you have, you can just make a couple holes larger. But I wanted to alert everyone to the error ASAP. I'll be revising the PDF shortly.

I'll also be publishing the Front Panel Express CAD file although at this point it's untested (I haven't ordered a panel) and I'll make that clear.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:19 PM

The new files are online. For those working on panels, please make sure your mechanical drawing is dated August 16th or later. The first (untested) Front Panel Express CAD file is also online and can be viewed with their free software.

As always, everything can be found in the Resources section of the article.

Old 08-16-2011, 02:03 PM

For anyone still concerned about input overload issues, not being able to drive nearly any headphones on battery power, etc., here's the O2 at 2.5X gain running on batteries with about 80% charge. Even on battery it handles 2 V RMS input (the Redbook standard for digital home audio) with ease.

And to put nearly 5 RMS in perspective, 2.5 V RMS is enough to exceed 110 dB with even fairly hungry headphones like the HD600 and HD650. So in terms of "real world headroom" it's hard to imagine many are going to encounter problems. The Mini3, by comparison, can only manage 2.3 V RMS on battery power.

It's also worth noting the noise floor is way down at about -135 dB even just shy of clipping (referenced to 4.9 V). The second graph is still referenced to 4.9 V but the output is only 3V so the noise floor appears to be even lower.

I've added a section the the first O2 article to include this:

And here's the same thing on AC power at half volume with an extremely "hot" 2.9 V RMS input:

If you look at the distortion spectrum, the equal harmonics above 1Khz hitting -100 dB are the "fingerprint" of the input stage approaching clipping. In the first graph it's still well below clipping and you're mostly seeing distortion from the output stage into 150 ohms.

Last edited by NwAvGuy; 08-16-2011 at 03:24 PM.

Old 08-16-2011, 03:47 PM

Oh noes, I have a 0.3 Vrms source. Will this underload the input stage and bore the electrons? Omg help!!1

Heh more seriously, should some subjectivist complain that it sounds too clean and sterile: just use a nonstandard source and wrong gain. When the THD (aka euphonic distortion) hits 10% it will approach the sound of boutique amps.
What a wonderful allrounder the O2 is.

Old 08-16-2011, 04:11 PM

Where was that list of nonstandard hot sources? Quick, we need to compile a list of sources with good "synergy" with the O2! Uh, make sure to set the gain too high and then as the battery drains...

Audio nirvana!

Tags
diy, headphone amp, mini3, o2, objective2