android
Old 07-25-2011, 09:56 PM

Default Bass-y earbuds vs. Bass-y headphones

Hi

I don't really listen to music that much, but I am looking for a pair of decent earbuds or headphones with bass for $20 or less. I know this is a stretch.

I currently have a pair of Sony MDR-XB300s that I got for $15 and while I like them, they are much too bulky, ugly, and dorky-looking to wear in public. Now I'm not one of these people who needs them to match my clothes or be what's "in" today or whatever, but even I have some standards on this.

I found a pair of Sennheiser HD205s on eBay for $15, but then on Amazon I found a pair of "V-Moda Bass Freq" earbuds for $12.

I wonder if anyone has any experience with the V-Modas or Sennheisers? Again, I'm looking for both bass and at least some sense of style with them so I can wear them outside (obv. earbuds won't have this problem). Or if anyone has any other suggestions

Also I won't be putting these through high use (like hours every day, probably an hour every few days or so)

Thanks

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-26-2011, 06:04 AM

The Sennheiser HD202 cans are very well regarded for their price. They are the kind of cans that make all music sound fun, which arguably makes them great for portable listening, since it is difficult to listen critically when out and about. There are some alternatives in your price range though, you might want to check them out.

For example, the immortal Koss PortaPro has very big but still quite good bass. You can usually find them online for prices around 15-30$.
Also, I hear that the Superlux HD440 is a great can for bass, but I havent heard it and I am not sure how much it costs (definitely less than 50$ though).

I haven't heard the V-Modas.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:57 AM
Ultra Senior Member

JVC Aircushions and Marshmallows are good for on the go budget listening as well.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:09 AM
Administrator

I had the HD 205 for a while. If you're reading reviews on them don't not take the complaints about comfort lightly. My memory of the sound is clouded by the the thoughts of the blinding headaches they caused. It's been a couple of years but what I remember of the sound is that it was good, but not great enough to deal with the pain. This is going to vary by head size apparently. There's others that have no problems and some that stretch them a bit and are just fine. So it's definitely YMMV.

I returned mine but another guy bought a pair based on hearing the ones I had and wondered why I had problems with them. I haven't seen him in quite a while but he was very happy with the comfort and sound the last time we talked about them. He called them snug and that was all. Loved them for his electronica and trance.

Your post made me wonder if I would I buy them again if I could get them for $12? For that price I would. I didn't put a lot of effort into stretching the ones I had and a fair number of people tried that say it worked well for them. When I did stretch mine they were OK for an hour or so but the headband seemed to try to return to it's original size and the headaches would start again. For $12 I'd be willing to take the chance I could get them stretched out or be able to resell them and not lose anything.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:33 PM

yeah i have a pretty narrow head so i probably dont worry much about squeezing

Quote:
The Sennheiser HD202 cans are very well regarded for their price
these are the 205s. is there a difference?

Old 07-26-2011, 01:08 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brtdud7 View Post
yeah i have a pretty narrow head so i probably dont worry much about squeezing

these are the 205s. is there a difference?
I have a fair size melon which is why I made sure you knew that was something that varied according to head size. For a price like that if I knew they were in good shape, why not?

The HD 202 were the 'phones I was moving up from when I was exploring the HD 205. I had a chance to do some comparing then. It's always tricky trying to do a detailed comparison from that long ago so I won't. In general the HD 205 had more bass and more isolation. The HD 202 were much more comfortable and came closer to being what I considered balanced. The HD 202 could bring a good thump, just not what the 205 could. I liked the build quality much better on the HD 205.

Old 07-26-2011, 03:02 PM

oh also i found these on ebay but i am nervous about authenticity

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ht_1144wt_1185

anyone have any tips?

Old 07-26-2011, 03:41 PM
Administrator

Don't buy Senn IEMs off ebay is the only tip I know. There's tons of fakes on them.

Are the Senn HD 205s you're looking at being sold as used or new?

Old 07-26-2011, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
Don't buy Senn IEMs off ebay is the only tip I know. There's tons of fakes on them.

Are the Senn HD 205s you're looking at being sold as used or new?
refurbished from a certified senn dealer.

and tbh the 205s arent from ebay but from a more obscure website but theyre the only one available for the price so i dont want anyone to steal em

Old 07-26-2011, 04:21 PM
Administrator

Yeah, I know of one of those. The customer service and shipping charges are lousy so I don't recommend them but they are authorized dealers. They advertised as authorized dealers for silly low prices and I checked the official dealer list and it's them. After dealing with them just once I decided I'd rather buy from Amazon at a higher price than go through that again.

I doubt it's the same outfit though. The only HD 205 they have right now are full price.

Old 07-26-2011, 04:26 PM

ok fine ill post it

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...on=refurbished

there. $12.33 free shipping authorized dealer. eh?

Old 07-26-2011, 04:38 PM
Administrator

I'd check this list to see if they're an authorized Senn dealer. Even Fulfillment By Amazon won't help you if it comes to a warranty claim if the dealer isn't authorized. Amazon is an authorized dealer, that doesn't extend to the Marketplace vendors.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:56 PM

Update

Anyone familiar with the Sony MDR-XB20EX earbuds? I can get them for $15 on ebay from some wholesaler it appears and $25 on amazon.

I just missed out on getting a pair of Sony MDR-XB40EXs on ebay from someone selling them too.

Old 08-06-2011, 12:28 PM
Administrator

I had to wait to get some feedback from the only Sony IEM user I know on this as I'm not familiar with this particular set. His reaction was that if you can get get either of these for your price, go for it.

He has the Sony MDR-EX082 that came bundled with my S639 and says the MDR-XB20EX has significantly better bass. With the right tips and placement those give a solid bass thump so if the MDR-XB20EX are giving out more it should be what you're looking for.