android
Old 07-20-2011, 05:35 AM

Default Neutron Music Player

This is a rather new music player for Android devices, and it is aimed at audiophiles. It has very impressive specs, including non-standard features like crossfeed, Ambiophonic R.A.C.E. DSP, perfect gapless etc., plus the widest codec support of any Android player. It is currently the only player with true gapless. Poweramp claims to have it, but the transitions between tracks might produce a pop (at least with MP3).

There are problems using it on some devices, though, including mine (HTC Desire HD). The main problem is that the program doesn't always respond when you touch a button. The website doesn't specify which phones it works on, or not. But it needs Android 2.1 and above, and a processor of 1 Ghz and above. It is reported to work perfectly on Samsung phones. The developer is working on a fix for the problem, and I hope he succeeds.

Some don't like the UI, especially the small font size. But it gives a very detailed feedback. I think that the developer has started in the right end by concentrating on the audio playback features first. He can add fancy UI stuff later on if he like. In my ears this player sound fantastic, and that is what matters most to me.

Check it out at http://www.neutronmp.com/

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-20-2011, 05:55 AM

Rockbox on Android is perfectly gapless as well, has crossfeed (I prefer the Meier crossfeed over the default one), and supports at least as many codecs. Not to mention it's free software.

That looks interesting, though. Thanks for the tip, I will give it a try.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:15 AM

I have tried Rockbox for Android also. But the current version is unstable on my phone (it might suddenly stop playing after a while, or to shuffle the tracks), and the database doesn't work. But yes, it is gapless, has crossfeed and is free. So it is a good alternative. I hope the finalize it soon.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:41 AM
Ultra Senior Member

^^ Indeed, +1 with dfkt. Now that I got a Galaxy Tab to muck around with, I am interested in finding best-of apps. Will also look into Neutron.

Danke!
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 07-24-2011, 01:50 AM

I used winamp for a while, then musicmod (from cyanogen).
As a design and human interaction person, UI is a big thing for me, so RockBox isn't an option. (that, and it crashed all the time on my Charge)
TBH, I was pleased with either. I'm now using PlayerPro, and pretty pleased with it. (although the UI isn't perfect )
my two cents

Old 07-24-2011, 08:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I'm getting a Dell Streak 7 tomorrow - wish me well.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:14 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
I'm getting a Dell Streak 7 tomorrow - wish me well.
Thought you didn't like Android?

Old 07-24-2011, 10:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

TBH it's really for the Mrs, but she thinks it's something I'm getting for myself. She really wants a tablet, and the iPad is too big for her (says she,...),... Plus, I printed the $100 off coupon from staples - it'll cost $200, so it's not too bad a deal. She really wants 1, so she's getting it tomorrow.

Old 07-24-2011, 10:09 PM
Ultra Senior Member

$200? Not bad at all!

Old 07-25-2011, 07:02 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
$200? Not bad at all!
The staples coupon can be easily had w/a search - and it's good till the 30th of July, well worth it IMO.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:30 PM
Contributing Editor

Why search when you can just get the coupon here at NBT?

http://www.nothingbuttablets.com/4646

App is prerty interestingYou can also use that coupon at competitor stores. Staples doesn't carry the transformer in store, so I took the coupon to office depot and picked it up for $300! Just more options for you. Best buy and everyone else does the same price matchin deal.

But back to topic, the app is pretty interesting. I just got it, so I'll need more time to play with it.

Old 07-30-2011, 05:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I didn't get to test the app, dog gone it!!! The Dell Streak 7 was faulty - from the OS & gps, right down to the sdhc card slot,...what a bummer. Now the Mrs want's an iPad 2,...oh well.