android
Old 07-19-2011, 06:39 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Default iem y-joint mod?

anybody ever modded an iem to put a male plug at the y joint? I just got a clip+ and that seems like a great length for work out. I could use an extension cable for more length or just dedicate that OEM to workout use. I have a couple pair I could try with but haven't found a tiny enough plug. suggestions or tips anyone?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-20-2011, 02:19 AM

I think that there's already a mod for that on this forum. Just can't find this at the moment...It was done with a pair of CX300 if I remember correctly

EDIT: Found it:

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ht=cable+cx300

Old 07-20-2011, 05:59 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I want to make the second half user, changeable though. I guess I could make the whole cable user changeable and just have a really short set. I would think the Y mod would be easier.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:12 AM

If you cut the cable right below the Y-joint you usually find three color-coded wires inside, which should make soldering fairly easy.

The smallest male 3.5mm quality plug is the Neutrik NYS231BG (gold/black) one - or at least I haven't found a smaller one yet. All Neutrik 3.5mm varieties: http://www.neutrik.com/fl/en/audio/2...oductlist.aspx

Of course you could also just splice a plug you cut off a pair of stock earbuds onto the cable, but it probably won't be looking overly pretty.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:56 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
If you cut the cable right below the Y-joint you usually find three color-coded wires inside, which should make soldering fairly easy.

The smallest male 3.5mm quality plug is the Neutrik NYS231BG (gold/black) one - or at least I haven't found a smaller one yet. All Neutrik 3.5mm varieties: http://www.neutrik.com/fl/en/audio/2...oductlist.aspx

Thanks for the tips. They have it at parts express too, which I love...but its $1.20 for the plug and $4.50 for shipping. Going to see what I can find at radio shack and frys first, but that is my standby. You dont happen to have any pictures that could put its size in scale do you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Of course you could also just splice a plug you cut off a pair of stock earbuds onto the cable, but it probably won't be looking overly pretty.
funny you mention that...I was just looking at the stock buds that came with my brand new clip + and was thinking...thats a great size. I really like the right angle plug that came on my Hippo VBs, but that would be for re-terminating my hd428 or for the extension cable. The plug that came with the hippo grooves is excellent as well. small barrel and metal construction. Would love some of those. I might try the splice and heat shrink tubing on a cheap set, just to see. Could be some of the eggs I crack while making this omelet.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:07 AM

The Sonicwave 3,5 plugs may even be a bit smaller than the Neutrik. But they are meant for bigger cables (6,3mm compared to Neutrik's 4,5mm):

http://www.tekcable.com/sonicwave-3-...rs---10pk.aspx

Pailiccs plugs should also be pretty small, but I read that Neutrik/Rean has the better overall quality.

But while the Neutrik is top quality, they are pretty heavy because of the metall casing. That might be too much for IEMs.

But you can use the colden Neutrik plug and combine it with the plastic housing of an "ordinary" 3,5 plug. The thread should fit (you can add some hot glue to be on the safe side):

=> 50% less weight (= my guesstimation)
=> no need for a heat shrink as a stress relieve

Last edited by Pinkys.Brain; 07-20-2011 at 07:14 AM.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkys.Brain View Post
That looks a lot larger than average 3.5mm plugs, judging by the picture - the barrel diameter appears to be really big, if you compare it to the size of the pin. Not sure what they mean with "75 Ohm Impedance" - a digital cable would need that, but I don't know of any digital connection that uses 3.5mm stereo. Also the price is quite high. (Nevermind, it's a 10-pack.)

Pailiccs seem to be rather fat too (and ugly, IMO) - http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3529/...d567a23b77.jpg

Old 07-20-2011, 08:11 AM

I'd personally also go for the Neutrik, because I've used them myself. As (almost) everyone recommends them, that would the normal way to go.

I recently saw an interconnectior that used the Neutrik plug (the ground connector cut shorter) withoult the metal casing + hot glue + shrinking tupe. That was the smallest "plug" I've ever seen, but I can't find the picture anymore.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:19 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkys.Brain View Post
I recently saw an interconnectior that used the Neutrik plug (the ground connector cut shorter) withoult the metal casing + hot glue + shrinking tupe. That was the smallest "plug" I've ever seen, but I can't find the picture anymore.
thats an Idea I might explore...an alternative to the actual casing. I'll be checking out local sources at lunch and go from there.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:47 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I just ordered one of these also...

http://www.mycablemart.com/store/car..._detail&p=2372

cheaper than recabling all of my IEMs...and if it sucks, oh well. still shortening my IEMs though. of to check after a meeting.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:42 AM
Ultra Senior Member

frys had something a whole lot like this

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...3a20a23%3A0000

for $1.19 so I got one. Will be dissecting my visang r02 as a tester

Old 07-20-2011, 12:25 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I snipped a pair of stock sansa buds just to see what it looked like. had a red, green, and bare copper wire. I assume red and green are signal and copper is ground. the red and green didnt feel like regular metal wire, was odd. Almost felt like a fiber. I tried twisting the cables back together without soldering and the buds dont work. I guess technically I never tested them to be sure they worked first, but they had never been out of the package until now so I assume they did. whatever, I probably jacked something up. I will break out the solder tonight.

Old 07-20-2011, 12:54 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDvsEGO View Post
I just ordered one of these also...

http://www.mycablemart.com/store/car..._detail&p=2372

cheaper than recabling all of my IEMs...and if it sucks, oh well. still shortening my IEMs though. of to check after a meeting.
Great deal on a right-angle plug adapter, with reasonable shipping--years ago, the only source I found was at Radio Shack in the U.S., at many times that price! Thanks for the info. and link, for future use.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDvsEGO View Post
I snipped a pair of stock sansa buds just to see what it looked like. had a red, green, and bare copper wire. I assume red and green are signal and copper is ground. the red and green didnt feel like regular metal wire, was odd. Almost felt like a fiber. I tried twisting the cables back together without soldering and the buds dont work. I guess technically I never tested them to be sure they worked first, but they had never been out of the package until now so I assume they did. whatever, I probably jacked something up. I will break out the solder tonight.
Red is right, green is left, bare is ground.

Those are painted/enamelled wires, they're shielded even if they don't look it. You have to burn off the paint with the soldering iron tip and tin them before soldering them to a new plug.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:05 AM
Ultra Senior Member

wow....that is seriously tiny wire....but when I took apart my R02s I could tell they had a tiny jacket on them. I'll be working on them next. Unfortunately they didnt have color code. 2 white, one bare.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:28 AM

If they're not color coded, it's good to have a multimeter at hand to check continuity. Put the phones in your ears and check which earpiece clicks/pops when you take the multimeter to each pair of wires.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:50 AM
Ultra Senior Member

thanks, I have a voltage detector but no multimeter. I think frys has cheap ones for like $10...that should be sufficient for this I would think.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:01 AM

Sure, that's good enough for this. Of course, trial and error works too...

Old 07-21-2011, 07:37 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I stripped some more off and can see that one is actually a light light gray and the other is white. if I end up with enough free time before lunch, T&E will get the win because I am impatient and curious. thanks for all the help so far. I love finding inexpensive ways to occupy my time.

Old 07-22-2011, 07:18 AM
Ultra Senior Member

first completed attempt. Soldering those tiny wires was difficult for me. I will probably get the nuetrics plug and redo the whole thing. This was just a practice run.