android
Old 07-17-2011, 08:16 PM

Default Weird Zune HD (Code 10) Problem

Okay, so pretty much I just got the Zune HD 32gb model and I updated my zune to 4.5 and I have the Zune software.. I did all the instructions that anyone could have ever told me online.... I updated my microsoft updates: Nothing. I downloaded the microsoft fixit. Nothing...

Here is the strange part... whenever I want to sync my Zune with my computer I have to manually go into my Device manager and uninsta;ll the driver and then scan for hardware changes and then it will sync...

Also... even when it is synced sometimes it just unsynces automatically and it goes to a code 1 or code 10... I don't understand the problem... -_-'

Someone please help me . thanks

I bought the Zune HD off someone so I can't return it or anything... I hope it's not the device that is the root of the problem... Thanks

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-17-2011, 08:19 PM

Have you did a full device reset? (erase all data)

Also reinstall zune software

Old 07-17-2011, 08:43 PM

Well when I got it it was already fully reset. and I will uninstall the Zune software.

I'll also try resetting it once again

Old 07-17-2011, 08:46 PM
Ultra Senior Member

1) Uninstall and reinstall the PC client or make sure it is fully udated (in the client, go settings>software>general>check for updates).

2) Press and hold the power and media buttons until the Zune tells you to reconnect to the software. This erases your firmware, but not your content.

3) Press and hold the media and home buttons (while the Zune is on) until the same thing as above happens. This erases the player completely. You MAY have to hold all three buttons to get this to work.

Yo, these are the things to try in order. 3 has much higher chances of working than the other two, but takes longer and is just inconvenient.

Much luck,

Old 07-17-2011, 09:21 PM

Trying it now.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinburger1109 View Post
1) Uninstall and reinstall the PC client or make sure it is fully udated (in the client, go settings>software>general>check for updates).

2) Press and hold the power and media buttons until the Zune tells you to reconnect to the software. This erases your firmware, but not your content.

3) Press and hold the media and home buttons (while the Zune is on) until the same thing as above happens. This erases the player completely. You MAY have to hold all three buttons to get this to work.

Yo, these are the things to try in order. 3 has much higher chances of working than the other two, but takes longer and is just inconvenient.

Much luck,
This is really frustrating. QWhile I'm updating it disconnects itself... are you kidding..

Alright. So I guess I cant even do step 2 because it keeps disconnecting itself for no reason...

Okay... I got to the page where I have to change my Zune name and it keeps disconnecting after about 10 seconds... then I have to reinstall from device manager then scan for new hardware every time... Wow

alright so sorry for the spam posts but I got to the point where I updated my zune software (PC) and i erased everything off of my Zune... And it's still giving me error 10 and whwnever I manually ninstall driver and scan for hardware changes. it connects for bout 10 seconds then it goes back to Code 10 again....

Old 07-17-2011, 09:30 PM
Administrator

Your posts as you've been working have been merged. Please use the Edit button in the future. Best of luck with this. The last time I had a Code 10, Code 1 issue on my old Zune 30 it took a re-installation of the OS to straighten things out. Hope it takes less than that for you.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
Your posts as you've been working have been merged. Please use the Edit button in the future. Best of luck with this. The last time I had a Code 10, Code 1 issue on my old Zune 30 it took a re-installation of the OS to straighten things out. Hope it takes less than that for you.
So what should I do?

Old 07-17-2011, 09:51 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Have you tried recovery mode and full restart?

Old 07-17-2011, 09:51 PM
Administrator

I'd follow what steinburger1109 is saying if I could. He's helped several people with these type problems. Code 10 problems are usually that the device can't start due to driver problems. Those drivers come for Zunes in the Zune software. The wipe and re-install directions he provided would the way to do that AFAIK.

The only two things he hasn't posted I can think of is trying another USB port or cable. I don't know if that would help any. Those are just some of of the general things you try when there's an intermittent connectivity problem.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:57 PM

Quote:
I'd follow what steinburger1109 is saying if I could. He's helped several people with these type problems. Code 10 problems are usually that the device can't start due to driver problems. Those drivers come for Zunes in the Zune software. The wipe and re-install directions he provided would the way to do that AFAIK.

The only two things he hasn't posted I can think of is trying another USB port or cable. I don't know if that would help any. Those are just some of of the general things you try when there's an intermittent connectivity problem.
I did everything. I resetted it, wiped everything off of it, reinstalled zunes. did microsoft updates, restarted computer... everything. And when I tried to do what stein said it barely worked for me because it kep't giiving me Code 10 every 10 seconds during the process...

So to edit. I cant even do step 2 because whenever i plug it in it syncs for 1 second and during the process it disconnects... so.. I really don't know what to do.

Last edited by xlannox; 07-17-2011 at 10:02 PM.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:03 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:

Yes, I couldn't tell from his posts whether he's tried it or not...

I forgot about the USB port thing, but the cable may be an issue because not many people have multiple. Though, the cable doesn't have a good chance because he can uninstall and re-connect the Zune via device manager.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Yes, I couldn't tell from his posts whether he's tried it or not...

I forgot about the USB port thing, but the cable may be an issue because not many people have multiple. Though, the cable doesn't have a good chance because he can uninstall and re-connect the Zune via device manager.
So what do I do? I tried changing ports...

Old 07-17-2011, 10:13 PM
Administrator

I stuck my nose in due to the multi-posting. You know much more about the ZHD, steinburger1109. Hope you guys are able to get this worked out.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:48 PM
Ultra Senior Member

No problem, skip. Thanks for the input, too.

xlannox, have you or have you not done step two and three in what I posted before? I need the answer to that question to help you more.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:03 AM

Angry

Hi guys same problem here. First off im a computer programmer so dont be shy in being technical if need be. Here goes. I have windows 7 home premium 64 with great specs (so I know thats not a prob. My device is a zune hd 16gb. Cannot sync with the zune software. Yesterday I updated to the latest firware (the one that just supposedly fixes security issues, dont have the ver I'm currently using my droid for this post away from home). The music synced ok but now the zune software won't pick it up. The computer picks it up (makes the noise, but looking further into it it shows as code 10 error in the device manager. It showed the device name that I named it at first, until I did the firmware restore via button holds on the device. Also tried the full data reset. After that it picked it up as "Zune" which I'm presuming is default for obvious reasons. Still got the code 10 error. After that zune software still would not pick it up so I deleted the driver via device manager, then reinstalled the software. The software then picked it up and said it had to be updated. I updated it to the same/latest firmware and it said updating on the computer but the zune went to the main screen. I knew it wasn't doing anything but I gave it an hour. Software and zune remained in the same state after that hour. Unplugged it, closed frozen software, plugged it back in.... Frustratingly got the code 10 error again. Rinsed, repeated slightly different, same outcome.... Now I've landed here looking for help. Sorry for the long post it's always best to know the whole story. Hope you allcan help. Thanks!

*please excuse my grammar it's hard on this phone

Last edited by THExCODExMAN; 07-18-2011 at 03:18 AM. Reason: Grammar note

Old 07-18-2011, 03:10 AM

Oh also went over my registry with boost speed and fixed a few registry errors, but they didnt fix any problems I noted. Swapped to second cord. Tried 7 different usb 2.0 ports. Restarted the computer a few times after uninstall and reinstall of software and drivers. And my zune is now wiped out but is still recognized as "zune" on the computer just has that code 10 and still won't show in software even in restore mode.. device loads to main screen so the zune is not bricked.

Is it possible to restore old firmware with older versions of zune software (I dont think it's possible though right, because it's probably server based) or can you choose like with iTunes? maybe a third party app for downgrades? or maybe something completely different altogether? Either way I would appreciate any help...

Heres the firmware on the zune: 4.5 build 114 or 4.5 (114).

Last edited by THExCODExMAN; 07-18-2011 at 03:43 AM. Reason: Firmware Update

Old 07-18-2011, 08:38 AM
Ultra Senior Member

So you said that it doesn't show even in "restore mode". Do you mean recovery mode by that (step two in what I'm about to quote below)? If so, have you tried step three yet? I'll reiterate: step three is most likely to work. It makes no sense to me, but that's how it has turned out. Recovery mode seems to be a bunch of croc, because it hardly ever fixes an issue.

Quote:

If you get to the end of all this and still have your issue, uninstall the software, repeat step three, then install the software, then restore the player.

I may have more to try later, I'm on a time crunch right now. Check back if the above doesn't work.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
No problem, skip. Thanks for the input, too.

xlannox, have you or have you not done step two and three in what I posted before? I need the answer to that question to help you more.
Well I can't even do that because whenever I do step 2 it desyncs itself all over again.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:22 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Then skip step 2, and go right to step 3. I'll be gone for most of the day, so I won't be able to respond, but if you do step 3, and your problem persists and you want to continue to try to work it out, call Zune support. They've been very helpful. But I probably won't be around for at least 6 or 7 hours. Good luck.

EDIT: It just dawned on me to mention, I've been referring to these as steps. They are not steps, they are independent processes. The reason I numbered them in the first place is so that you know which to do first, second, and third.

Last edited by steinburger1109; 07-18-2011 at 09:28 AM.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:25 PM

MY PROBLEMS BEEN FIXED. After digging around today I found a loose S-ATA port. Just loose enough to throw the code 10 error. I would check out to make sure something didn't come loose xlannox. So my conclusion is that code 10 is not just driver errors, but the hardware IO that connects the devices to the driver throws it too. Hope this helps. Have a good one.

Tags
code 1, code 10, problem, zune hd