android
Old 07-17-2011, 05:14 AM

Default J3 firmware update confusion

Hello, I received a J3 16gb and updated the firmware to 2.25 as on the web site (cowonglobal.com) and afterwards it was dead, so I sent it back and ordered a 32gb one (Not got it yet). This time I read the J3_EN_Manual_1.4.pdf. and that states "COWON J3 firmware can only be updated if the power adaptor is connected". Which one is correct? I don`t know if I dare try again.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-17-2011, 06:00 AM

I don't know about you, but the only power adapter I received was a USB cable. I just download the update file, transfer it to my J3, unplug it and then boot it up. I haven't had a problem so far. Is this what you did?

Old 07-17-2011, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild_Duck View Post
Hello, I received a J3 16gb and updated the firmware to 2.25 as on the web site (cowonglobal.com) and afterwards it was dead, so I sent it back and ordered a 32gb one (Not got it yet). This time I read the J3_EN_Manual_1.4.pdf. and that states "COWON J3 firmware can only be updated if the power adaptor is connected". Which one is correct? I don`t know if I dare try again.
I think their wording is probably very poor. They're probably trying to say that the USB cable (aka "power adaptor"??) must obviously be connected from the J3 to the PC in order to copy the three firmware files from PC to the root of the J3. But I certainly agree that their insertion of that sentence is definitely confusing.

Anyway, the procedure is simple: just unzip the downloaded firmware ZIP file. Then connect the J3 to the PC with the USB cable (probably what Cowon is referring to as "power adaptor"). Windows will see the J3 and assign drive letter(s).

Then copy the three BIN files (from the expanded ZIP file) to the root of the J3.

Then you MUST "safely remove hardware", and after the popup message appears that "it is now safe to remove hardware" you disconnect the USB cable from J3 to PC, and then power the J3 on.

The presence of the BIN files in the root will be detected by the J3 at boot time, and will cause the new firmware files to be applied and also deleted from the root of the J3. When completed the J3 will power itself off.

When you then power the J3 back on, the new firmware will be running.

Old 07-18-2011, 04:18 AM

Thank you for the clarification. After removing the USB it started the update with blue progress bars scrolling from left to right, I picked it up to read the text... now I think about it, could I have accidentally caught the power switch? Think I`ll get to know my next J3 first before updating.
Thanks again.